~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:10 pm 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: RT309BHS
Member ID: ORF-2285
Headed to the Smokies in a couple of weeks. Looking for a decent and cheap overnight campground - the kind you can pull into, not unhook and then head out early next morning. Needs to be FHU - prefererably with 50 amp.

Found one in Meridian with Passport America, but was hoping to make it another hour past there going east so our second day haul would be easier.

We found one, but it got ripped apart on RV Park Reviews.com. Here is my favorite quote from the review:

Quote:
Top Tips for this Campground

Near the interstate, but nothing in the area. Isolated and creepy. At one time this might have been a nice place --- a long time ago. Twilight Zone-like neglect. A good place to stay if you want a story to tell. We escaped without injury.

Think we will pass on that one. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 323RL
Member ID: ORF-9636
There is a park just off the interstate in Tuscaloosa called "Sunset RV Park", friendly professional people who can help you, ask for Calvin if you call during the day. I have spent months at a time there over many years. They are busy with football campers but in two weeks the Alabama home schedule will be done.

In Meridian Bonita RV Park is capable and friendly, have stayed there also months at a time. Big long concrete pads will accommodate rigs and their tow-behinds without having to disconnect.

Sorry to tell you there is nothing in between those two cities. I know this area very well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 pm 

I was considering Sunset RV park in Tuscaloosa. RV park reviews said it was a decent place for quick overnight stays. We will be there on Sunday night - the football game is day before - everybody should be cleared out by then??????

We actually know Bonita RV park fairly well. Stayed there about 5 years ago on two or three trips East. It was a good overnight stay. Easy to pull in late and quick out in the morning.

I think we are weighing a 550 mile drive first day/ 450 miles second (Meridian) vs 650 mile first day/350 miles second (Tuscaloosa). That is why we were to see if something was in between.

Other choice is to to up through Memphis and over. Memphis is right at 600 miles from us. But it adds about 40 miles overall.

Best choice is probably Bonita RV.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: JF335BHS
Member ID: ORF-0013
Other choice is to to up through Memphis and over. Memphis is right at 600 miles from us. But it adds about 40 miles overall.

There is a COE campground at exit 233 on I55 about 65 miles south of Memphis.
The name is Persimmon Hill located on Lake Enid and is great for a one night stay--they have 1st come
walk-ups and you pay at the bulletin board receptacle post with cash or check. If
you have a Senior Pass you get 50% discount. Check it out here

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/pers ... rkId=73408

09 Open Range JF335BHS ser # 750
Furrion RV cam / TST-TPMS
02 F250 7.3 PSD CC SB XLT Lariat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 386FLR
Member ID: ORF-6673
Did you look at Jennings Ferry? Not sure about the full hookups...looks like a COE park.
I got a kick reading other reviews from the area, "Sleep with one eye open, Lock-n-Load"
Heck that's everyday, everywhere, anymore...depending on your bumper stickers.
Safe Travels!

RDS Model #73956 Aux Tank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 323RL
Member ID: ORF-9636
Eddie, it is true that enough of the football campers will be out of Sunset by Sunday night for spots to be available. You can't get more convenient to the interstate than this park is.

As far as considering a route through Memphis, I do remember visiting a park that was on the Arkansas side of the river (West Memphis) that was rather nice. Right next to a big levee, as I recall. Sorry I don't recall the name but it was a large park with many sites and not too far off of the interstate.

Have a good trip and enjoy the scenery!

PS This is it http://tomsawyerrvpark.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:04 am 

Looked at Jennings Ferry - it got great reviews. I like COE parks - they are usually very clean and well maintained. But no sewer and a ways off the interstate defeats the purpose of quick overnighter. Plus they close their gates at 10 pm. It might be hard to get there by then if there is any sort of delay leaving in the morning or traffic.

Someday when kids grow up and leave - I want to stay at Tom Sawyer park. We looked at them about a year ago, and once you added in the fees for extra people, our price almost doubled. We always have to figure that into our cost.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Like in old days, getting into some places, can you hike kids in trunk?

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:08 pm 

I guess we could - and keep them locked in the trailer the whole time we are there.. :D

Of course this trip, the grandparents are also going with us. Not sure if they would agree to be locked in the trunk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:04 pm 

COTHAMM wrote:
Like in old days, getting into some places, can you hike kids in trunk?

We ended up doing this a lot in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Excursion only seats 8. Add two grandparents and a couple of kids got to ride in the back a whole bunch. Wouldn't have been too bad - except grandpa's electric scooter was also back there. Made things a little tight, but the kids survived.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:10 pm 

TomBanjo wrote:
There is a park just off the interstate in Tuscaloosa called "Sunset RV Park", friendly professional people who can help you, ask for Calvin if you call during the day. I have spent months at a time there over many years. They are busy with football campers but in two weeks the Alabama home schedule will be done.

In Meridian Bonita RV Park is capable and friendly, have stayed there also months at a time. Big long concrete pads will accommodate rigs and their tow-behinds without having to disconnect.

Sorry to tell you there is nothing in between those two cities. I know this area very well.

Ended up at Sunset RV Park. They had one open site. It was kind of short pull-through, especially as we stayed hooked up - so we stuck out in the drive quite a bit. But it was easy on and off the freeway and was quiet enough for sleeping between long hauls.

On way home, we went the I-40 to Little Rock route instead. Found a brand new RV park called "Lower White River RV Park" halfway between Memphis and Little Rock. Pull off I-40 and turn right and it was right there. Pull-through's were a bit short, but they had the longest back-in sites I have ever seen. Stayed hooked up and in-laws minivan was parked in front of us and there was still about 15 feet of site left. Brand new asphalt sites with really nice utilities. Great park for quickly pulling over for sleep.