~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Sarasota FL area...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:29 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 297RLS
Member ID: ORF-7700
We are planning on going to the Siesta Key, FL area and looking for campgrounds close by. One is Sarasota Sunny South. Have any of you stayed there? We want to be close but some of the campgrounds in the area have not received good reviews. This will be a few days stopover on the way to Key West. Just wife, our boxer, and I. We just want to relax and eat good seafood. Other recommendations welcome. Thanks.

2012 GMC 2500HD 4wd
2015 LT297RLS

Post subject: Re: Sarasota FL area...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:08 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 316 RLS TT
Member ID: ORF-4862
You could try Turtle Beach Campground right on Siesta Key. 8862 Midnight Pass Rd. Sarasota Florida, 941-349-3839. You can take a look at it quite well on Google Maps and also connect to their website.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:40 pm 

OR Model: 319 RLS
Member ID: ORF-6362
We are currently in Cortez and love the park that we are in, however we want to be closer to Sarasota so we have been looking for an alternative nearer or in Sarasota. We have not looked at Turtle Beach Campground since we are looking for a winter site, however I have heard that it can be a little tight depending on the size of your rig.

Sarasota Sunny South is on our list of parks for next year but has a little high peak season price than we would like. It is an RV Park NOT a campground, and they make that distinction pretty clear ("no wood fires"). Think of a 50's or 60's housing development in the center of town where they have removed several blocks of homes and created an RV Park, The lots are all crushed shell with a concrete patio to put your door side on. I met the owner who seems very nice and the office staff is very helpful. The main reason that we have looked beyond this park is the peak season monthly cost.

A couple exits North of "Fruitville Rd" there are two parks That are also on our list but that will put you at leats 30 minutes away from the beach.

We have looked at several in the Venice area as well they are all nice resort type parks but seem a bit tighter than we like.

Depending on the time of your travel will make a difference on how "tight" they feel.

I will be happy to share more detail including names of the other parks if you like or I would be happy to check out any others that you might be interested in. With the two week max time restraint on state parks I have not looked at them.

2017 RAM 2500 Laramie, 4X4 Crewcab, 6.7 Diesel, Short Bed W/5th Wheel Bed Prep Package
Demco Premier 16K DBL Pivot Slider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:01 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 346-FLR
Member ID: ORF-4665
jackanddi wrote:
You could try Turtle Beach Campground right on Siesta Key. 8862 Midnight Pass Rd. Sarasota Florida, 941-349-3839. You can take a look at it quite well on Google Maps and also connect to their website.

They will not allow a 297, we use to go in our Lance then up graded to a 297, they claim fivers are to long to back in because you block the road hooking or un hooking (one road).
We loved that place, now we have the 346flr even worse.
We stayed at sunny south for 10 days last November, the place is immaculate, quiet, close to everything, our site was a little snug others looked better.
Check out Sun n Fun a little further north and close to I-75, you can get a decent pull through site for a couple of days, Encore I believe?

346-FLR / F-350 CC DRW
B&W Companion Hitch - G614's
TireMinder TPMS, Voyager Rearview
Jensen Beach, Florida

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:08 pm 

Lynn wrote:
jackanddi wrote:
We stayed at sunny south for 10 days last November, the place is immaculate, quiet, close to everything, our site was a little snug others looked better.

Good to know, Thanks Lynn

2017 RAM 2500 Laramie, 4X4 Crewcab, 6.7 Diesel, Short Bed W/5th Wheel Bed Prep Package

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:01 pm 

Yes Sun and Fun doesn't look bad. Turtle Bay doesn't allow dogs per their and the Good Sam website. Miss Sophie our sweet boxer would not be happy being left at home! Thanks for all the feedback.

2012 GMC 2500HD 4wd
2015 LT297RLS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:47 pm 

As far as Sunny South, is there any shade or grass? Pictures do not really show any. I'll be there in July. I know...hot. But it will be the same temperature as here in SC. Shade would be handy though. Sun and Fun looks cooler and has some trees per the pictures.

2012 GMC 2500HD 4wd
2015 LT297RLS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:27 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 346-FLR
Member ID: ORF-4665
CaptainSkippy wrote:
As far as Sunny South, is there any shade or grass? Pictures do not really show any. I'll be there in July. I know...hot. But it will be the same temperature as here in SC. Shade would be handy though. Sun and Fun looks cooler and has some trees per the pictures.

CS
No shade at "Sunny South" a little pun intended :lol: and no grass all shell and stone pavers except for the park models, but have a nice Tiki Hut and a smaller pool, very nice recreation facility.
Sun N Fun is really 55+ community with an indoor pool and physical therapy area plus a large outdoor pool and bar area, even have a place for pet bathing and grooming. The have a lot of shaded sites but some are not, this place is more our cup o tea.

346-FLR / F-350 CC DRW
B&W Companion Hitch - G614's
TireMinder TPMS, Voyager Rearview
Jensen Beach, Florida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:02 pm 

We were just there touring last week. It is a Care Free Resort and as I understand it is an "all ages" park. It is huge enough that you should be able to find shaded sites and there are tons of things to do. Again for what we are looking for we will probably pass but the park is very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:24 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 337 RLS
Member ID: ORF-13103
We stayed at Periwinkle Park Campground on Sanibel on the way to the Keys; older and dated, but great place.