~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:36 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: 3X397FBS
Member ID: ORF-11871
We have a 2017 397FBS and Monday morning i was going up the steps to the bedroom and was greeted with a heavy burning electrical smell coming from the front 13.5K unit (I'm a general contractor and have smelled/seen enough burned electrical equipment in 20+ years on the the job). Immediately I cut the tstat and breaker off and called a mobile tech. He arrived at the end of the day and checked both RTU's and advised he couldn't see any sign of heating up or burning or burning smell on either unit. He said "just run the unit, I can't find anything.". Within minutes the smell was back and overpowering so I got out my IR temperature gauge I use to check tires and found the back unit pumping out 65* air but the front was 83*! After a call to the tech he said he would call Dometic and get a new unit ordered under warranty. That's all fine and good but what if I wasn't there to catch it and shut it down? If we had not been there it may have eventually started burning and with my two little dogs inside, well, you get the picture.....

Worse yet is it takes 5-10 days for Dometic to ship a replacement (no expediting available) and we're in Florida so the other unit runs continuously and during the day and it is VERY warm in the coach. And just to add another kick in the teeth the tech said they get a $250 flat fee to swap a unit and Dometic only pays $195 so we're responsible for the other $55 PLUS the trip charge. What is up with these junk units OR uses? We got 6 months out of a new unit. That's really sad.....and dangerous! *end of rant*

2017 3X397FBS

Just Livin' The Dream!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-3771
Wow. Did you climb up there and see what was burning? If it ran fine for the first six months, something may have happened up top to cause what you experienced. Not much to those units. Was there an electrical surge by any chance?

Pullrite Superglide 18K
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 am 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: LT308BHS
Member ID: ORF-3545
Also keep in mind that almost every RV manufacturer out there uses a Dometic AC. Having just recently replaces ours, our original dealership told us, that the AC unit is basically built as a throw away commodity. Once they diagnose a issue with the AC, they said Dometic says to just replace the whole unit and move on. Their shop has plenty of AC units sitting around waiting to head to the recycling plant. So basically, Dometic has come up with a way to build an extremely cheap operating AC, that is designed to be disposable when there is an maintenance issue.

ETJ

Last edited by Enjoyingthejourney on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:58 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: RT292RLS
Member ID: ORF-11464
Enjoyingthejourney wrote:
Also keep in mind that almost every RV manufacturer out there uses a Dometic AC. Having just recently replaces ours, our original dealership told us, that the AC unit is basically built as a throw away commodity. Once the diagnose a issue with the AC, they said Dometic says to just replace the whole unit and move on. Their shop has plenty of AC units sitting around waiting to head to the recycling plant. So basically Dometic is building has come up with a way to build an extremely cheap operating AC, that is designed to be disposable when there is an maintenance issue.

ETJ

So for me that's not good to hear......Our warranty expired last month. So my 13.5 is right now blowing warm air and you'er saying I will have to replace the whole unit. Ummm......think I'll price out any replacement parts I may need first......Thanks for the info.

2016 F150 3.5L EcoBoost/Max Tow
3:55RR/4x4/36 Gal Tank/Pro Trailer Backup
2016 RT292RLS
2AC units/Furion Observation Camera
Awing Toppers/Viking LP Tanks
Blue Ox SwayPro 1500
Westinghouse 2400 Gen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:57 pm 

DDTravels wrote:
So for me that's not good to hear......Our warranty expired last month. So my 13.5 is right now blowing warm air and you'er saying I will have to replace the whole unit. Ummm......think I'll price out any replacement parts I may need first......Thanks for the info.

Work with your dealer and HR. They may cover it under warranty out of goodwill. Don't be surprised if they don't though because they are now under the Jayco umbrella. Worth a shot.

Problem is your freon leaked out. Common problem. There are places that will plug the hole and refill it with freon for you. Trick is finding them, but they're out there.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:54 am 

BCM wrote:
DDTravels wrote:

Work with your dealer and HR. They may cover it under warranty out of goodwill. Don't be surprised if they don't though because they are now under the Jayco umbrella. Worth a shot.

Problem is your freon leaked out. Common problem. There are places that will plug the hole and refill it with freon for you. Trick is finding them, but they're out there.

Thanks Mark. Dealer is non responsive. Horizon RV sales in NC - terrible. I bought used. I believed warranty was good till end 2017. I asked dealer to fill out form to transfer warranty. He did but never advised me end date of warranty. Guess I didn't ask either. Sent form into OR with $250.00. I presumed, my fault, it was end of this year. Called OR yesterday. Warranty expired Aug 2017. And to add insult to my mistake, they never changed ownership. Where did my form & $250 go? No answer. Very nice but so sorry, you are on your own. I'm on work assignment in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Kind of at the mercy of mobile tech units right now. Pray for me........David

2016 RT292RLS
Blue Ox SwayPro 1500
Westinghouse 2400 Gen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-6544
DDTravels wrote:
Sent form into OR with $250.00. I presumed, my fault, it was end of this year. Called OR yesterday. Warranty expired Aug 2017. And to add insult to my mistake, they never changed ownership. Where did my form & $250 go? No answer. Very nice but so sorry, you are on your own. I'm on work assignment in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Kind of at the mercy of mobile tech units right now. Pray for me........David

Stay safe down there.

If they didn't transfer your warranty I'd be asking for my $250 back. They didn't do what they said they would do so you need to get your $$ back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 pm 

itguy08 wrote:
If they didn't transfer your warranty I'd be asking for my $250 back. They didn't do what they said they would do so you need to get your $$ back.

Exactly. And I'd be standing in the office waiting for an answer.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 am 

itguy08 wrote:
DDTravels wrote:
Sent form into OR with $250.00. I presumed, my fault, it was end of this year. Called OR yesterday. Warranty expired Aug 2017. And to add insult to my mistake, they never changed ownership. Where did my form & $250 go? No answer. Very nice but so sorry, you are on your own. I'm on work assignment in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Kind of at the mercy of mobile tech units right now. Pray for me........David

Stay safe down there.

You know, I was focused on getting a positive result that I completely overlooked that fact. Thank you for the wake up call. Most appreciated......David

2016 RT292RLS
Blue Ox SwayPro 1500
Westinghouse 2400 Gen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:03 pm 

ok so I sent in my request for a refund of $250 on my warranty transfer Open Range never completed. Jennifer was pleasant but she didn't do her job either until I called again and again requested the refund. Now she has to ask her supervisor. Yeah you guessed it, no way they were going to give back my $250. Reasoning was if I did have a warranty issue it would have been honored. They didn't recognize their approved dealer was less then honest with me or the fact Open Range didn't do their job to transfer the warranty to us. I had to send in my copy of the transfer form & cancelled check cause they had no record of their own. But that didn't matter either. Very short sighted customer service. Disappointing. That said, I love my Roamer TT. But I don't think OR loves us back.........David

2016 RT292RLS
Blue Ox SwayPro 1500
Westinghouse 2400 Gen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
Travelhead,
Since you are a contractor, you know electrical. I just saw this thread, sadly, but I would bet big money, what you smelled were the terminals on the compressor itself. Usually they are a spade type connector that's designed to slip over the blade terminal of the compressor. I cannot tell you how many of those I replaced on HOME units. They will melt the aluminum connector and wire. Sometimes I had to run new wires to replace the burnt ones.

Sorry you went through all that, as it's about a 30 min fix. ALWAYS disconnect from shore power and battery before doing this work.

These units are nothing more than window AC's that blow down instead of out. They are simple devices as far as AC's go.

For others, ANY time you smell burned wires, think loose connection somewhere.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
B&W Patriot 5th wheel hitch
Bridgestone Duravis R250 tires