~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Wi-Fi Thermostat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:08 am 

OR Year: 2018
OR Model: 328BHS
Member ID: ORF-13949
I know many will tell me I should stick to basics when in the great outdoors, and while I will take that under advicement, as a programmer I enjoy technology too much to leave it out. What I wanted to reach out about was the possibility of installing a Wi-Fi thermostat in our 328BHS? Right now we have the factory dometic digital thermostats but they are extremely sensitive and I am constantly having issues with even trying to set up the right temperature. Has anyone been successful in the installation of a Wi-Fi thermostat, if so, which one did you install?

Post subject: Re: Wi-Fi Thermostat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:46 am 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: na.
Member ID: ORF-1113
I embrace new technology when it actually will benefit me at an acceptable cost. Wi-Fi connected devices (the so called Internet of Things), including Wi-Fi thermostats, "smart" TVs, Wi-Fi controlled appliances, etc. are not on my list of acceptable new technology simply because they are not secure and are subject to hacking. It hasn't been all that long ago most, if not all, Nest thermostats stopped working because they were hacked (I don't trust Nest anyway due them being owned by Google, who is notorious for collecting personal data and either using it for their own advertising or selling it to advertisers). Samsung "smart" TVs are notorious for essentially spying on users, often sharing information with third parties, and are hackable. Digital voice assistants, such as Amazon's Alexa, are also guilty of sharing data with third parties plus they aren't always compatible with other Wi-Fi connected devices (no one standard for Wi-Fi connected devices has been established yet). Phillips Hue light bulbs have been hacked, sometimes for hackers to play games by flashing lights or playing with the colors but, more often, to gain access to computers via Wi-Fi networks.

As I recall, the Dometic A/Cs use a proprietary thermostat system that communicates via RJ-11 or RJ-45 cables and is not compatible with conventional thermostat systems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0621
I won't go down the hacking Rd. More people die from car accidents than almost anything else. Yet we don't hesitate to drive.
My biggest issue with a WiFI thermostat is how unreliable CG wifi is.
I know a few people that use wifi thermostats in their vacation places and really like them. I can see where they could be beneficial in an RV, provided you have a decent wifi connections. Most CG's have poor wifi which maybe your biggest performance obstacle.
I can't speak to compatibility issues with Dometic, but I do know of others that have changed their thermostats to upgraded models.

RV760,PIsurge,GSR Steps,Titan Disc,Sailun
14'Porta Bote w/8.0hp,Splendide,RVLock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-9689
I've had a wifi thermostat at my home for years now and it has worked fine. But that's on my home wifi.

As the Lady Fitzgerald said the "thermostat" in RVs is not compatible with home ones, though. They are just controls for what is built in to the furnace/ACs. We are stuck with whatever Dometic makes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: RS398RLS
Member ID: ORF-0086
As the Lady Fitzgerald said the "thermostat" in RVs is not compatible with home ones, though. They are just controls for what is built in to the furnace/ACs. We are stuck with whatever Dometic makes.

On my 398 I added a honeywell programmable home thermostat. It would only control the furnace though. But sense we sleep on top of a heated mattress pad, we would turn the heat way, way down and I had it programmed to come on early in the morning and then go back down when we went to work. For us it was a great set-up. No, not wireless though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm 

OR Model: MESA RIDGE
Member ID: ORF-10523
Memphisbobby wrote:

On my 398 I added a honeywell programmable home thermostat. It would only control the furnace though. But sense we sleep on top of a heated mattress pad, we would turn the heat way, way down and I had it programmed to come on early in the morning and then go back down when we went to work. For us it was a great set-up. No, not wireless though.

is there any other brand that would also work?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:36 pm 

OR Model: 318RLS
Member ID: ORF-4198
I doubt it but sure wish there was. We have a NEST at home and it is excellent. We travel for long periods (2-3 months twice a year) and the NEST will let me monitor the home and make whatever adjustments I need. What convince me was that with a regular thermostat, there is a power glitch, it resets all the temps at the defaults....well, I really didn't want to AC our home at 75 all summer...84 is fine when we are traveling (and heat at 60 is good enough). If we are away during transition seasons, then we need to be able to set it to heat some days, AC others.

If we had pets we planned to leave in an RV, a wifi or somehow remotely accessible thermostat would be a must.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-7680
We haver a wifi thermostat at home and it's nice to turn down the AC an hour or so before we get home.
I would like to have a newer thermostat for our trailer that has a backlit. 1st I have to find the flash light and then adjust the heat or AC.
For now I just live with what I have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: LT307BHS
Member ID: ORF-5845
Earl someone posted about this one:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... lack/88513

Anderson WD Hitch
Steve,Eileen...Bailey(lab)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-9689
We had a second AC added to our TT in the bedroom and they installed one of the new Dometic thermostats. They are still not as nice as the ones you can get for at home but are way better than the old ones.

I think this is the one we have:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... XQEALw_wcB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:23 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-1745
If your RV does not have a heat pump, I think you can put any thermostat in it you want.
There may be 4 wires from AC unit. common, AC, fan high, fan low. a house thermostat does not have fan high/low so you will need to put in a toggle switch for that.
there will be 2 wires from the heater, connect the 2 and you got Heat.
also check the voltage between the common from AC and common from Heat, if you see 12V that means one common is + and 1 is -
in that case remove the jumper on thermostat between Rc and Rh
also pick oil heat or the AC fan will come on with the heater.

But if its a roof mounted heat pump, they don't use the same logic as a house heat pump.
in house heat pump, you always turn on wire to compressor, then Heat/AC is picked by reversing valve.
if I recall in my RV heat pump, it turn 1 wire hot for AC, and a different wire hot for heat pump.

* 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins, Aisin, Dually 4:10 4wd.