~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2017 Coming Home Rally - Aug 13-20 - Shipshewana IN ~~ 2017 Northeast Wine Campout – Sept 20–24 - Bath NY ~~ 2017 SE Rally - Oct 17-21 - Dandridge TN
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Do follow up on recalls
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:40 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-0147
This past week we were in a campground in Huron Ohio and saw several units that caught fire and were destroyed. I spoke with the campground manager and discovered the Montana had a recall on the refrigerator. Apparently the owner disregarded the recall. The recall was for a potential leak of refrigerant. The refrigerant leaked and when the frig kicked in it exploded causing 5 units to be destroyed. Thankfully no one was injured but just the thought of it was very scary. So just a reminder if you have a recall do take care of it as soon as possible.

P.S. If this photo is sideways it's cause I'm having an issue with my phone right now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Full K&N filter, TPMS

Every exit is an entrance to a new experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:21 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-3771
Hope you keep having an issue with your phone... the pic is perfect! :mrgreen:

Did one of them light up the other one or did both fridges just happen to go at the same time?

Scary. Hope everyone got out.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

RETIREDSAILORS wrote:
Enjoy it while you can! We're not promised tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:22 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-0147
BCM wrote:
Hope you keep having an issue with your phone... the pic is perfect! :mrgreen:

Did one of them light up the other one or did both fridges just happen to go at the same time?

Scary. Hope everyone got out.

Montana is the one that caught fire. There was a recall from 2003-2007 models on their fridge.

Full K&N filter, TPMS

Every exit is an entrance to a new experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:52 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-9689
Follow up on vehicle recalls, too. Something like 1/4 of recalled vehicles never get fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 am 

Ah. Misread it. Now that's even scarier.

Campgrounds require proof of vaccinations for dogs. They should also require proof of completion on recalled items like this.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

RETIREDSAILORS wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:12 am 

OR Model: 349RLS
Member ID: ORF-3741
BCM wrote:
Ah. Misread it. Now that's even scarier.

Campgrounds require proof of vaccinations for dogs. They should also require proof of completion on recalled items like this.

That would sure empty out a lot of campgrounds. Owners choose to ignore recalls for some reason, I think because they are voluntary and involve a lot of downtime (sitting in the parking lot of their dealer) for their rigs. Living here in the land of taxes and government regulation (PA), we are required to have a safety inspection for our motor vehicles and trailers. Unfortunately, the trailer inspections don't go much beyond tires, brakes and surface mounted lights.

Call me crazy but I think the insurance companies could do a lot with this. Take Good Sam / Camping World for example. If CW offered a detailed inspection of critical internal systems at no cost, Good Sam Insurance could offer a credit or discount to owners who comply. Failed systems would open the opportunity for CW to sell corrective services. The owners would save premium money and have a unit less likely to incurr problems. The insurance company would payout less in claims. And the neighbors would sleep better at night. Everybody wins.

'12 Ram 2500 Cummins
'14 349-RLS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: RF-337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1970
Was this recall like the one for Norcold? Recall info did not go to owner, but published in various articles. Then stating all you can do is join a class action suit, and if the suit goes in favor of the owners, they got a little bit of money, and the lawyers profit big. You would think if it was a big problem the refrigerator would have to be exchanged.

Pull Rite Super Glide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:25 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-1745
RV manufactures buy the refrigerators, the recall is done by the refrigerator manufacture, RV company just forewards the recall to owner (hopefully).
than dealer is reimbursed by refrigerator manufacture for the work.

now the recall is a joke, they add some tin work and a switch (depending on which recall) so "WHEN" your refrigerator leaks, it will not catch fire.
they don't do anything to make the refrigerator not leak.

* 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins, Aisin, Dually 4:10 4wd.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm 

OR Model: 349RLS
Member ID: ORF-3741
towpro wrote:
RV manufactures buy the refrigerators, the recall is done by the refrigerator manufacture, RV company just forewards the recall to owner (hopefully).
than dealer is reimbursed by refrigerator manufacture for the work.

now the recall is a joke, they add some tin work and a switch (depending on which recall) so "WHEN" your refrigerator leaks, it will not catch fire.
they don't do anything to make the refrigerator not leak.

I believe thats called a 'controlled burn'

'12 Ram 2500 Cummins
'14 349-RLS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:12 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
Personally I will not travel with a pet. I raised my kids and want free time. Having said that, I travel with quite a few that do have pets, numerous ones, and they have NEVER been asked about their vaccinations.

Demanding an RV owner show proof of up to date recall fixes is a sure way to go out of business. For one thing, the park owner/manager would have to keep up on EVERY recall out there, for every brand/model/type of RV. Mission impossible.

For another, most manufacturers only send recall notices to the ORIGINAL owner. If they have sold it, the recall never gets delivered to the current owner. Is it the current owners fault if they do not know about the recall? I doubt you would ever get that to hold up in court.

Regular maintenance will catch a lot of issues like that, but NEVER all of them. These rigs get bounced all over creation on our crappy roads, and it's a miracle everything does not leak. Funny how someone will realize it's bad roads when the island has broken itself free of it's moorings, but blame the manufacturer when the fridge leaks. I guarantee your home AC unit, or fridge would fail if treated like our RV's are.

That fire is tragic and I hope no one was hurt, but way too easy to throw out blame when we do not know all the facts of a particular case.

Personally I would not take mine to an "inspection" location, that also did repairs, or was connected in any way to businesses that did. Way too much incentive to make stuff up, and that has been proven over and over.

Then when inspected, is it certified? Is the inspection guaranteed? Look at home inspectors. They carry HUGE liability policies, because they tell a potential buyer, this is ok, that is ok, this needs work. When the first OK item fails, they go back to the inspector and say he lied. Seen that happen many times.

I also do NOT want ANY level of government involvement, period. Once they get their fingers in they do not take them out, but only dig deeper and then start taxing for it.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
Reese 5th wheel hitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:47 pm 

OR Model: RF338RLS
Member ID: ORF-3444
Recalls: I read something this week that Highland Ridge was recalling many Trailers and 5th wheels due to fire hazard.
May 1, 2017 NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V288000
LED Ceiling Lights may Produce Excessive Heat
The excessive heat from the LED ceiling lights may increase the risk of a fire.

B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch #1314

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:30 pm 

handirifle wrote:
Personally I will not travel with a pet. I raised my kids and want free time. Having said that, I travel with quite a few that do have pets, numerous ones, and they have NEVER been asked about their vaccinations.

Depends on the park. Most don't ask, lots do. Was just at Massey's Landing this week. They asked.

handirifle wrote:
Demanding an RV owner show proof of up to date recall fixes is a sure way to go out of business. For one thing, the park owner/manager would have to keep up on EVERY recall out there, for every brand/model/type of RV. Mission impossible.

True, but also something that better regulation could get a handle on. I'm sure this was an isolated incident, but it should it become more frequent with more and more 'innocent' rigs getting consumed, something will have to change. No way would I feel comfortable going camping even without my dogs knowing the rig next to me may be a ticking time bomb. A park would do much better asking for a status vs. leaving their guests at risk.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

RETIREDSAILORS wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:57 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
Again it goes back to KNOWING there is a recall for the owner and park. It would be impossible to e force.

As for the pets it must be an east coast thing. Been all up and down the west and none of our friends ever been asked.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
Reese 5th wheel hitch