~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:25 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-3771
Could be an alignment issue. Did they check for that when you had the cables adjusted? Could be some other form of binding also. My large slide struggles a bit when bringing it in because it is so big and heavy, but after those first few seconds, it comes in smoothly.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:04 pm 

OR Model: 308BHS
Member ID: ORF-5251
Well now I am with a lot of others right now I have changed all the motors all with in the first year fixed prompt. Which cant complain but now I have the large slide struggling to go out and the kitchen slide motor just stripped the gear. Our dealer has discontinued selling Lights because warranty is so complicated that might be but I really think they got tired of all the problem they were having Went to get fixed before storage and they said they are 5 weeks out. I said I have to put it in storage they said to come back in the spring. I understand but really disgusted with this trailer and now I think I was stuck with junk oh well got the slides in thanks to the help of friends and off to storage with junk hahah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:22 am 

Two bad slide motors don't make it junk. Yes, it does seem huge when they aren't functioning, but there could be a reason for that. Your struggling slide may be out of alignment. The same problem could have caused the other slide's stripped gear. Do you have the new switches? I have five slides and had three problems before I changed the switches (under a technical service bulletin) and have been fine for over two seasons. Yes, I was disgusted also but I made the best of it, figured it out, fixed it, and absolutely love my rig. Problems happen. The grace is all in how you handle them.

I'd like to hear the real reason your dealer is no longer selling Lights. I'm willing to bet he got dropped because of complaints to OR as opposed to the warranty process 'being so complicated.' Any dealer can fix the slides now that you're probably out of warranty. Try another. My local guy isn't an OR dealer but his service work is fantastic and timely. Yes, I miss my dealer, but they are over three hours away and this guy is a great close second. A mobile repair guy can also help you.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:52 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 345RLS
Member ID: ORF-1990
BCM wrote:
Two bad slide motors don't make it junk. Yes, it does seem huge when they aren't functioning, but there could be a reason for that. Your struggling slide may be out of alignment. The same problem could have caused the other slide's stripped gear. Do you have the new switches? I have five slides and had three problems before I changed the switches (under a technical service bulletin) and have been fine for over two seasons. Yes, I was disgusted also but I made the best of it, figured it out, fixed it, and absolutely love my rig. Problems happen. The grace is all in how you handle them.

I'd like to hear the real reason your dealer is no longer selling Lights. I'm willing to bet he got dropped because of complaints to OR as opposed to the warranty process 'being so complicated.' Any dealer can fix the slides now that you're probably out of warranty. Try another. My local guy isn't an OR dealer but his service work is fantastic and timely. Yes, I miss my dealer, but they are over three hours away and this guy is a great close second. A mobile repair guy can also help you.

Thar was so well said Mark. I have had no issues at all with my slides since they fixed the wires and switches. I say this like a broken record. I keep them adjusted, lubricated, under full power and always always level. Most local RV shops will adjust your slides. It only takes a few minutes. When I see an an issue i call a dealer on my route make an appointment and most do it in 15 to 20 minutes. I have never gotten the hang of the cable adjustments. I think I have it now, Maybe.

2012 345 RLS with Trailair pin box
Electric Sewer Valves, Glo Step Revolution stairs,
and Maxxis 8008 tires
2012 Chevy 3500 Duramax dually
Zion, Il. Retired Law Enforcement

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:54 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-11902
SailingOn wrote:
Our 2016 LF297RLS had no problem with the motor or the 'Flex Drive Shaft', but when it was a year old all three gearboxes failed within 3 weeks. OR has since paid to have them replaced and I am compiling a 'How To' for replacing motor, shaft or gearbox.
Even when you know exactly what is wrong, getting a service appointment and the part can take months.
If you have the part on hand, replacing a failed motor, shaft, or gearbox takes well less than an hour.

I just posted on another thread the question, how much money involved in these motors, gearboxes and shafts.My trailer will be out of warranty, soon.are we talking hundreds or thousands.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 am 

Well I was smart to buy a extended warranty HOPE IT WORKS BETTER THAN THE OTHER ONE I BOUGHT WITH OUR JAYCO WHICH WAS WORTHLESS WHEN WE NEEDED IT. But anyway,so its not as bad as some that are out of warranty but still what I cant believe is that OR knew about the bad motors according to my dealer and they couldn't fix them until they went out and yes they have replaced the switches and adjusted the slides. Must be the junk motors still that the dealer claims OR had. We really like our OR and have been thinking of buying another but with all this is really making us think of going GD and they are very similar on set up and floor plans price is all the same also. Still waiting to get it out and get it fixed been to the dealer and they said they are not ready to set up a appointment??? So is this a dealer that is just trying to push me around very well could be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 316RLS
Member ID: ORF-6723
okay our first time out this year with our fifth wheel to check everything before warranty runs out. slide on kitchen side of our 316 mesa ridge is broke. Tech came out said it was gear box. Need to know
1. When the gear box is replaced do we need switch also replaced.
2. If we have to replace other gear boxes will switches have to be replace and where to purchase in Texas or on line. .
3. Is there a manual or step instruction to replace both. Hubby is very handy but the restringing the cables that they demonstrated at the CHR in 2016 was a nightmare.

Notified OR of problem tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 pm 

1. You should have the latest switch. Look at it... are the corners round or square? Round is latest, square needs to be replaced.
2. All switches should be the same. The switches will need to be swapped out before the gear boxes. Your dealer should send them to you free of charge under warranty.
3. Swapping out the switches are child's play. Remove the panel and the rest is self-explanatory. Again, check the corners. Are they rounded or square?

You don't need to swap the gear boxes... the switches are the problem. And if you do have to swap the gear boxes, that is pretty easy also.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 pm 

OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-11852
Has anyone replaced a gearbox themselves? It doesn't appear to be too too difficult for anyone with a bit of mechanical ability. Any insight on this. My 2014 Roamer (RLS337) is out of warranty and I am the second owner so I'm kinda on my own here. Customer Support at Highland Ridge has been trying to get NORCO to pony up replacement gearboxes and switches for me. Hoping for the best!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
BCM wrote:
1. You should have the latest switch. Look at it... are the corners round or square? Round is latest, square needs to be replaced.
2. All switches should be the same. The switches will need to be swapped out before the gear boxes. Your dealer should send them to you free of charge under warranty.
3. Swapping out the switches are child's play. Remove the panel and the rest is self-explanatory. Again, check the corners. Are they rounded or square?

You don't need to swap the gear boxes... the switches are the problem. And if you do have to swap the gear boxes, that is pretty easy also.

Just be careful. Kill the battery when messing around in that switch panel. One fella I know was changing his switches, and somehow the wires made contact and a slide started to move. He had to quickly run outside, kill the 12vdc power. Super excited moment.

When I replaced my switches, found many of the spade connectors to be lose. Squeezing them a bit to hope they go tighter failed, they just broke up. Remedied by adding new spade connectors. Just be ready is best advice offered.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 pm 

Well just a update on our unit again
We have changed each slide gear box three times now it is not the motors that are bad it is the gearboxes they are like pot metal and the gears are not keeping in line when under torque which makes the pot metal break off and then strips the gears. We still like our unit but will have to say that we will not buy another OR product even though I like the options.

We do have at least 4 more years under our warranty the problem is it cost 100 deductible each time we use it so if you look at it we paid 1000 for the 5 years extra which is still cheap but 3 motors a year is going to add up too.

Our dealer has been pretty good on fixing promptly but keeps saying at least you have a contract I asked how about trading for a GD he said we could for another 7000 cash well you guess it I do admit I was stupid once but not this time So where is his help on this issue, it is cause he knows that he wont be able to make money with this trade haha oh well lets keep on camping between time that it is getting fixed :lol3 :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8