~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum




~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 226
Location: Alexandria, VA
OR Year: 2012
OR Model: RF337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1254
COTHAMM wrote:
COTHAMM wrote:
Visited dealer today. Got PN from Josh at OR and when I walked to parts counter, asked for switch PN 24375, if had any, he pulled out a big bag full of switches!! Got 3 of em. $7.50 ea.


Cothamm - could you please post the name and phone number of your dealer. I'd like to call and see if I can get some. Thanks!

_________________
John and Sandy
2012 RF337RLS
2009 Silverado 2500HD Turbo Diesel
Alexandria, VA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:16 am
Posts: 6320
Location: Spring/Houston, TX area
OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
John.Herring wrote:
COTHAMM wrote:
COTHAMM wrote:
Visited dealer today. Got PN from Josh at OR and when I walked to parts counter, asked for switch PN 24375, if had any, he pulled out a big bag full of switches!! Got 3 of em. $7.50 ea.


Cothamm - could you please post the name and phone number of your dealer. I'd like to call and see if I can get some. Thanks!

Terry Vaughn of Spring, TX
281-350-2267
Ask for parts dept.

Hope they have some left. Good Luck!

PS - actually got 6 of them - 3 for me and 3 for the Hills, for their 391RES.

_________________
Cheers, and Laissez les bon temps rouler
Amy & Mickey Cotham
Retired Oil Field La. Cajun
2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 226
Location: Alexandria, VA
OR Year: 2012
OR Model: RF337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1254
Thanks! Jerry has them on the way.

_________________
John and Sandy
2012 RF337RLS
2009 Silverado 2500HD Turbo Diesel
Alexandria, VA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:06 am
Posts: 10
Location: Discovery Bay CA
OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 318RLS
Member ID: ORF-4434
Voltage and amperage (current) are related. If the voltage is lowered by too much impedance in the switch, or the wires feeding the switch (too small of a wire gauge), then the amperage will increase. Since this is feeding a motor, lower voltage means more heat caused by the raised amperage, and this means premature switch, wire or motor failure. Why was there no letter sent out to all the owners of trailers affected by this problem?

_________________
Tom
2011 F250 SB Crew Cab
4WD Super Lariat 6.2L
2014 Light 318RLS
B&W Companion


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:03 pm
Posts: 546
OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 345RLS
Member ID: ORF-0012
Tom wrote:
Voltage and amperage (current) are related. If the voltage is lowered by too much impedance in the switch, or the wires feeding the switch (too small of a wire gauge), then the amperage will increase. Since this is feeding a motor, lower voltage means more heat caused by the raised amperage, and this means premature switch, wire or motor failure. Why was there no letter sent out to all the owners of trailers affected by this problem?


Since the Open Range manufacturer doesn't directly sell their trailers, they send recall notices to their dealers. The dealers should then be responsible for letting their customers know about recalls, etc. Unfortunately, very few of them feel obligated to do that and it's not just Open Range dealers.

Learning about the latest updates and recalls, etc. on our trailer is our #1 reason to attend the Coming Home Rally every year in Shipshewana. With the factory involvement of sending their techs to the campground, providing seminars, doing Q&A sessions, etc. it's well worth the effort to attend!

_________________
David and Peggy
Hometown: Springfield, MO
2012 Open Range 345RLS
2015 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L turbo


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 226
Location: Alexandria, VA
OR Year: 2012
OR Model: RF337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1254
Also, when I contacted my dealer he said that they don't inform customers of this type of bulletin if their rig is out of warranty. That's why the OR folks wouldn't send me the switches. I called, as mentioned above, and got three. Haven't put them in yet.

_________________
John and Sandy
2012 RF337RLS
2009 Silverado 2500HD Turbo Diesel
Alexandria, VA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:31 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Beaumont, Tx
OR Year: 2013
OR Model: LF297RLS
Member ID: ORF-2613
My dealer is 120 miles away. They want me to bring in my OR to replace switches. (I can replace switches) Can this be done at the Texas Rally in April?? Does anyone know where I can get the switches??

Roy Ward
2013 LF297RLS
`08 Duramax

_________________
Roy & Susan Ward
Beaumont, Tx
2013 LF297RLS
`08 Duramax


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 226
Location: Alexandria, VA
OR Year: 2012
OR Model: RF337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1254
rkw wrote:
My dealer is 120 miles away. They want me to bring in my OR to replace switches. (I can replace switches) Can this be done at the Texas Rally in April?? Does anyone know where I can get the switches??


Go up about six messages.

_________________
John and Sandy
2012 RF337RLS
2009 Silverado 2500HD Turbo Diesel
Alexandria, VA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:46 pm 
Online

Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 1436
Location: Bayfield, CO
OR Year: 2014
OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-3628
Tom, voltage and amperage are related, but not the way you describe.
It's voltage = amperage X resistance. If resistance goes up amperage goes down for constant voltage.

Across a component like a switch or piece of wire, if resistance goes up voltage drop across the switch or piece of wire goes up for constant current. If a motor is in the circuit and a bad switch is causing more than normal voltage drop, then there is less voltage drop to drive the motor. Less voltage across the motor results is lower motor speed which in turn reduces the motor apparent resistance allowing more current to flow. Even at the lower voltage drop across the motor. As motor speed drops, current may increase to a maximum called locked rotor current. If the switch has high resistance, wire has high resistance, then they will heat up because of the higher current flow.

In my opinion, the switch and wiring should be capable of handling the locked rotor amperage. That is the maximum current the circuit will see. When the slide reaches either full IN or full OUT, the motor stalls and at that moment current is maximum. In some cases this current capacity is not in the design which to me is a flaw.

_________________
Ted
2011 F350 PS CC LB 4x4 SRW
2014 RF316RLS


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Brownton, Minnesota
OR Year: 2013
OR Model: 359FKS
Member ID: ORF-2570
This is the 4th RV my wife and I have owned. I have had more warranty issues, failed equipment etc with this open range unit than any of the other 3 brands put together. Our 2 year warranty expires in April 2015. I tried calling highlandridge rv this morning for our broken toilet. Seems after 1 1/2 years of light use the foot flush pedal fell right off. After trying to re install I found that the plastic parts that hold it together are wore out. Anyway after calling I get a recording and then it says " no one is available to take your call" click, and they hang up. Called them again on this switch problem, same thing, no one is available to take your call. I have noticed a diminishing quality of customer service in the last year. Had it not been for Camper World in Kissimmee, Fl last winter we would still be trying to get the multiple problems fixed on this open range travel trailer. Rotted out floor by exit door, no weather proofing caulk installed around the door from the factory. 32" television defective, keeps showing me a big 1080p box popping up every 30-40 seconds. Try watching TV with this going on. Furnace wont ignite, 3rd time furnace was fixed, large panel of wall coming loose behind the recliner chairs. We are on our 3rd microwave oven, the first 2 the numerical panels shorted out and caused the whole unit to fail. I called Camper World after the no go open range phone call this morning. I was told that Camping World will not handle any more repairs for open range. I give these clowns another 6-12 months and they will be bankrupt, end of open range. I wouldnt buy another one if they were half price.

Alan and Kathy Zimmerman
Brownton, Mn


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm
Posts: 296
OR Year: 2012
OR Model: JT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-0329
lvtocmp wrote:
Looks like they didn't realize there was an issue until late June or July. We were told at the Rally.

Mine are the old ones but I am out of warranty. Maybe they will replace for me at the CHR this year.

Rich

_________________
2012 JT340FLR
2011 Silverado 2500 HD
6.0L w/4.10


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm
Posts: 296
OR Year: 2012
OR Model: JT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-0329
afzimm wrote:
This is the 4th RV my wife and I have owned. I have had more warranty issues, failed equipment etc with this open range unit than any of the other 3 brands put together. Our 2 year warranty expires in April 2015. I tried calling highlandridge rv this morning for our broken toilet. Seems after 1 1/2 years of light use the foot flush pedal fell right off. After trying to re install I found that the plastic parts that hold it together are wore out. Anyway after calling I get a recording and then it says " no one is available to take your call" click, and they hang up. Called them again on this switch problem, same thing, no one is available to take your call. I have noticed a diminishing quality of customer service in the last year. Had it not been for Camper World in Kissimmee, Fl last winter we would still be trying to get the multiple problems fixed on this open range travel trailer. Rotted out floor by exit door, no weather proofing caulk installed around the door from the factory. 32" television defective, keeps showing me a big 1080p box popping up every 30-40 seconds. Try watching TV with this going on. Furnace wont ignite, 3rd time furnace was fixed, large panel of wall coming loose behind the recliner chairs. We are on our 3rd microwave oven, the first 2 the numerical panels shorted out and caused the whole unit to fail. I called Camper World after the no go open range phone call this morning. I was told that Camping World will not handle any more repairs for open range. I give these clowns another 6-12 months and they will be bankrupt, end of open range. I wouldnt buy another one if they were half price.

Alan and Kathy Zimmerman
Brownton, Mn

My experience has been much different. Yes I have had some recurring problems, yes some of the problems should have never happened, but OR has been pretty good about fixing them under warranty even though I'm working on our 3rd year, and even when I'm on the road.

Rich

_________________
2012 JT340FLR
2011 Silverado 2500 HD
6.0L w/4.10


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Brownton, Minnesota
OR Year: 2013
OR Model: 359FKS
Member ID: ORF-2570
At first OR warranty service was awesome, they answered the phone and
took care of problems pronto. Now it almost seems that my phone number
Is on a "do not answer" list. I am calling Jayco


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 pm
Posts: 4759
Location: West Monroe LoUiSiAna hometown of Duck Dynasty
OR Year: 2009
OR Model: JF335BHS
Member ID: ORF-0013
I am calling Jayco--I don't think it will do you any good to call Jayco for a problem on
your Open Range --Probably best way is to contact Highland Ridge through their Web Site.

_________________
Bill & Shirley
USAF 1958-1962


09 Open Range JF335BHS ser # 750
Furrion RV cam / TST-TPMS
02 F250 7.3 PSD CC SB XLT Lariat


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:47 am
Posts: 73
Location: Home - Bellevue, Texas
OR Year: 2013
OR Model: R430RLS
Member ID: ORF-3016
Had my slide out switches replaced last Thursday and still having problems. On my third slide out motor, new switches and still having problems with the slide bogging down when coming in or out. Now I am having issues with it tripping the breaker 3 or 4 times before I can get it fully in or out? From day one, I had removed the 150lb love seat with the hide a bed in it from the slide and replaced it with a 20lb desk so I would have an office while working. So apparently weight should not be an issue. It has been to the dealer 3 times with issues with this big slide and it still is not working right. Any suggestions of what more I could possibly do before I give up and trade it in on a Rushmore? :-x

_________________
Courtney and Dean Tate
Su and Dash (our border collies)
Bellevue, Texas

2013 Open Range R430RLS
2010 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4 long bed 6.4 Turbo Diesel
2007 Jeep Wrangler Yeti Edition


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:59 pm
Posts: 4759
Location: West Monroe LoUiSiAna hometown of Duck Dynasty
OR Year: 2009
OR Model: JF335BHS
Member ID: ORF-0013
May not be what you want to hear--but the service center in Shipshewana could probably
take care of this--maybe at the Texas rally some one could help.

_________________
Bill & Shirley
USAF 1958-1962


09 Open Range JF335BHS ser # 750
Furrion RV cam / TST-TPMS
02 F250 7.3 PSD CC SB XLT Lariat


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group