~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jayco mandated work...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 pm 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: 367BHS
Member ID: ORF-3756
Just got an email from Southern RV on mandated recall work authorized by Jayco on campers still in warranty. The first is replacing a screw with sealant on the slides for water intrusion. The second was replacing the slide out switches. Message reads:

I hope everyone has enjoyed the camping season so far and have been able to use your camper a lot! I just wanted to send out an email regarding the change with Open Range RV and a few small suggested repairs. If you do not know, Jayco, Inc. has purchased Open Range RV. They have changed the manufacture’s name to Highland Ridge RV. The Open Range name will still be used on their models. It has just changed ownership. We are familiar with Jayco, Inc, and are confident this is a positive change for Open Range RV. Highland Ridge RV has sent out bulletins regarding these repairs which you may have received. They are being covered under warranty as long as you are still in your Manufacturer’s warranty period. One involves removing the inside screw on each exterior corner block of the slide outs, adding clear or grey sealant, then re-installing the screw. This is to prevent water from coming in and causing any damage. You can perform this on your own, or call us so we can take care of it for you. If we do not perform this for you, Highland Ridge RV will have no record of this being done. There is also a bulletin regarding your slide out switches. They have found that the older slide out switches do not provide the proper amperage for the slide outs. They recommend replacing the 12amp switches with 30amp switches. If you would like to send us a picture of your current switches, we can determine which style you have and order the proper number of replacements. It is our busy time of year, so the first calls will be the first served. Hopefully we can get this taken care of on everyone’s unit in a timely manner. We are booked for roughly about 3 weeks. Scheduling will depend on what repairs you need to have addressed when you come in. If this is the ONLY repair we will need to perform, then you should be in and out in about 30 minutes to an hour depending on if you were affected by both. Please let us know at the time you schedule if you have other items that need to be addressed. We will be glad to address any problems you have, we just need to make sure we allot your appointment time with adequate time to have your items repaired.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:31 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
starhm wrote:
Just got an email from Southern RV on mandated recall work authorized by Jayco on campers still in warranty. The first is replacing a screw with sealant on the slides for water intrusion. The second was replacing the slide out switches. Message reads:

I hope everyone has enjoyed the camping season so far and have been able to use your camper a lot! I just wanted to send out an email regarding the change with Open Range RV and a few small suggested repairs. If you do not know, Jayco, Inc. has purchased Open Range RV. They have changed the manufacture’s name to Highland Ridge RV. The Open Range name will still be used on their models. It has just changed ownership. We are familiar with Jayco, Inc, and are confident this is a positive change for Open Range RV. Highland Ridge RV has sent out bulletins regarding these repairs which you may have received. They are being covered under warranty as long as you are still in your Manufacturer’s warranty period. One involves removing the inside screw on each exterior corner block of the slide outs, adding clear or grey sealant, then re-installing the screw. This is to prevent water from coming in and causing any damage. You can perform this on your own, or call us so we can take care of it for you. If we do not perform this for you, Highland Ridge RV will have no record of this being done. There is also a bulletin regarding your slide out switches. They have found that the older slide out switches do not provide the proper amperage for the slide outs. They recommend replacing the 12amp switches with 30amp switches. If you would like to send us a picture of your current switches, we can determine which style you have and order the proper number of replacements. It is our busy time of year, so the first calls will be the first served. Hopefully we can get this taken care of on everyone’s unit in a timely manner. We are booked for roughly about 3 weeks. Scheduling will depend on what repairs you need to have addressed when you come in. If this is the ONLY repair we will need to perform, then you should be in and out in about 30 minutes to an hour depending on if you were affected by both. Please let us know at the time you schedule if you have other items that need to be addressed. We will be glad to address any problems you have, we just need to make sure we allot your appointment time with adequate time to have your items repaired.

Interesting info - specially about the screw sealing aspects. I just dropped off our 297 for wheel bearings pack and lady asked about if want to do caulking. I said no, I normally check, do caulking as needed. But I think she prob referring to this "recall" stuff, maybe.

So I drop a query to OR to determine what is this screw sealing scope about, and if they have any details, get to specifics, of the modifications.

I saw in the dealer shop a 386FLR with a slide out sitting on stands. I can see a crate nearby, prob shipped from OR for a repair or mod to this unit. Humm..

Not clear exactly which screw(s) discussing above or how work performed, so one can do work on his "out of warranty" unit.

I may have to revisit dealer and discuss with techs there (some whom I consider "friendly") what specifically this is about!

And starhm, you read like a dealer or tech or someone "working RV biz".

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm 

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: JT337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0580
I have a 2010 JT337RLS trailer coach. Does anyone know if these upgrades are required on it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:48 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: LF 318RLS
Member ID: ORF-4704
I had my 2014 LF318 in a couple weeks ago to replace slide out switches and they brought up to me about the inside screw on the slide out caps being removed, sealant put in the hole and put the screw back in. They told me it was only for campers still in there warranty period.

Tembren SES

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:41 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 3x349rls
Member ID: ORF-1024
Can someone post a pic of exactly what they are talking about? Thanks.Dave

2016 Ram 3500 cummins/aisin trans. 4x4 cclb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm 

OR Model: 3X375rds
Member ID: ORF-0069
While at the CHRally the techs replaced our switches and put sealant behind the inside screws on the slides and we have long been out of warranty! Also, good thing they checked because they had to replace our main slide floor that had begun to separate due to water intrusion! KUDOS to Dennis and Kevin (techs) and Highland Ridge for job well done!

B & W Companion Hitch
Spoiled Doxies names Doozie and Tinker

Each day is a Gift......use it wisely!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:06 pm 

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: JT337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0580
I just received this reply from Open Range.

Alan,

Thank you for contacting us. The two technical service bulletins do not even apply to your unit. Your unit was built before the items that are affected by the TSB started being installed in the units. Sealing the unit is important to every RV not just our Open Range Unit. I would recommend checking all the seals and sealant on the unit a sealing as necessary.

Justin Day

Eastcoast Retail Customer Service

Highland Ridge RV

955 N. Tuscany Drive

Shipshewana, IN 46565

Phone: 260-768-7771

Fax: 260-768-4461

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:49 pm 

adwillis wrote:
I just received this reply from Open Range.

Alan,

Thank you for contacting us. The two technical service bulletins do not even apply to your unit. Your unit was built before the items that are affected by the TSB started being installed in the units. Sealing the unit is important to every RV not just our Open Range Unit. I would recommend checking all the seals and sealant on the unit a sealing as necessary.

Justin Day

Eastcoast Retail Customer Service

Highland Ridge RV

955 N. Tuscany Drive

Shipshewana, IN 46565

Phone: 260-768-7771

Fax: 260-768-4461

WTH! He never stated what year models are affected. It would make me more comfortable to know what year models the TSB affects. and if my 2012 model not affected. Yep, it is out of warranty, since last Oct.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:24 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: 280RLS
Member ID: ORF-0604
I changed them out on my 2012 (out of warranty)....noticed the difference in the slide operation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:44 pm 

OR Model: 3X375rds
Member ID: ORF-0069
When they changed our switches we definitely noticed improved slide speed! COTHAMM bet your 2012 would benefit and I hope everyone checks those slide screws for water intrusion!

B & W Companion Hitch
Spoiled Doxies names Doozie and Tinker

Each day is a Gift......use it wisely!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:09 am 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: MR337RLS
Member ID: ORF-2311
ricknsue
What screws are they talking about? I know I am slow but I still not sure which ones.
On another note I contacted a local OR dealer about the switches and of course they don't have them in stock, but they contacted OR and they are sending me the switches to my house. (Warrenty was out July 2014) I can't say enough about OR's warrenty and going the extra mile :woohoo

Honda 3000i Handy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:47 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: RF287RLS
Member ID: ORF-0096
COTHAMM wrote:
starhm wrote:
...And starhm, you read like a dealer or tech or someone "working RV biz".

Actually he was quoting an email from Southern RV, probably written by the owner John. From what I have seen, Southern is one of those family business that goes out of their way to connect with their customers. They have several group camping trips each year, and John does a great job with spring and fall winterizing seminars. Good folk.

As far as the screw sealing job, can someone here who has had it done and owns a digital camera snap a pic of the screws described, so that the diyers here can perform what sounds like a 3 minute job?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:33 am 

johnvb wrote:
COTHAMM wrote:
starhm wrote:
...And starhm, you read like a dealer or tech or someone "working RV biz".

Actually he was quoting an email from Southern RV, probably written by the owner John. From what I have seen, Southern is one of those family business that goes out of their way to connect with their customers. They have several group camping trips each year, and John does a great job with spring and fall winterizing seminars. Good folk.

As far as the screw sealing job, can someone here who has had it done and owns a digital camera snap a pic of the screws described, so that the diyers here can perform what sounds like a 3 minute job?

Thanks John, for the clarification.
Yea, a few snapshots of the fix would be great, to understand what screw or screws they referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:51 am 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: JF335BHS
Member ID: ORF-0013
I'm thinking this may be the screw they are talking about--
this is a guess--what do you think?

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=7023

09 Open Range JF335BHS ser # 750
Furrion RV cam / TST-TPMS
02 F250 7.3 PSD CC SB XLT Lariat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:42 pm 

OR Model: LT305BHS
Member ID: ORF-1109
The screw circled below is the one I was picturing when I read the description - but I am not sure if that is it or not. The other 2 screws on the slide corners seem to be in an area where it would not matter as much if water penetrated past the screw. The circled one however seems like it could allow water to get inside the wall and leak down to the slide floors. Again - I am not positive on this - but this is what I was picturing in my head when reading the description.

Hopefully someone who has actually had the work done will either confirm this is right - or shed some light on what the real update is.

Attachment:
20140906_190425_small.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:53 pm 

OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-0147
That's the one.

Full K&N filter, TPMS

Every exit is an entrance to a new experience.