~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Saftey Chains
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:07 am 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: 345RLS
Member ID: ORF-2474
Highland Ridge RV (Highland) is recalling certain model year 2015-2016 Highlander, Mesa Ridge, Roamer, and Journeyer travel trailers manufactured April 7, 2014, to January 11, 2016. The affected vehicles are equipped with safety chains on the A-frame that are rated for 11,700lb instead of being rated equal to or greater than the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the travel trailer. In the event the main trailer connection fails, the weight of the trailer can break the safety chains if the chains are not strong enough, allowing the trailer to separate from the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash. Highland will notify owners, and dealers will replace the existing safety chains with chains that have a 16,200lb rating, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Highland customer service at 1-260-768-7771. Highland's number for this recall is 9904277.

Found this at another site.

1999 Freightliner Fl60 4 door 7.2 cat
2011 OR 345RLS

Post subject: Re: Saftey Chains
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:51 am 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 345RLS
Member ID: ORF-5580
Great info!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:49 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: JT337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0065
Just got my recall notice today regarding the safety chains on my JT337. Bought it new in 2012 and have never given it a thought about the chains being undersized. They look plenty stout so was wondering if maybe the attachment of the chains to the frame is suspect? I am going to call my dealer when we get back from this weekends trip and see what they know.
On another note, I have always wanted to change out the slide switches to the newer style that are rated for more amps. Are they part of a recall also or will I have to buy them? Of course, the dealer will want $$ for them but if Open Range is supplying them as part of a recall then they should be free. I plan on installing them myself and add the heavier wire at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:39 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: HT31RGR
Member ID: ORF-9167
We received our recall notice a couple of weeks ago for our 2016 Highlander HT31RGR. The recall is for the weight rating of the safety chains. The current chains are rated for a max GVWR of 11,000 which is fine for the UVW of 9,580 but the unit can handle 3,500lbs of cargo and therefore the chains needed to be rated for at least 13,300 lbs. The chains that Highland Ridge are sending will be rated for 16,000 lbs. The only issue we have had is finding a dealer close to weld the new set on since we bought ours in Tampa and live in Northern Virginia. Highland Ridge has been awesome though! They called around in the area and found a master welder at a used RV lot that will be welding the chains on for us. So far the customer service has been superb and makes me proud to be an Indiana boy dealing with an Indiana company!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:43 am 
Banned Member

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: OR Model
Member ID: ORF-8138
Most welders know this but you never know for sure....be sure all batteries are completely disconnected before anyone welds on your unit. I would also unplug everything that runs on 120V or at least throw the breakers. The electric power of the welder can fry everything in your camper. I would disconnect these myself before taking to a shop. I have a 2016 323RLS delivered in December 2015, Haven't heard anything from them yet on my unit, It may not be included as the UVW is 9,200.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 pm 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: RT309BHS
Member ID: ORF-2285
TheNutHouse wrote:
Most welders know this but you never know for sure....be sure all batteries are completely disconnected before anyone welds on your unit. I would also unplug everything that runs on 120V or at least throw the breakers. The electric power of the welder can fry everything in your camper. I would disconnect these myself before taking to a shop. I have a 2016 323RLS delivered in December 2015, Haven't heard anything from them yet on my unit, It may not be included as the UVW is 9,200.

On my previous SOB, the chains broke free where they were welded to the frame. After a bit of fussin' got Lippert to actually reimburse me to take it to a local welder.

Apparently he didn't know this and I didn't either till now. He fired it up and welded the chains back on (a lot better than Lippert's original weld) and I was done. Luckily nothing fried.