~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:32 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-12979
I'm looking at a 2016 Open Range Light 319RLS at a non Highland Ridge dealer.

I did some checking and found that it went in service mid July of 2016 so there is still a little over a year of the warranty left on it. Found out that there is a fee of $250 to transfer the warranty into my name. While that seems a bit much, I also found out that the unit needs to be inspected by a Highland Ridge dealer for the warranty to be able to be transferred. I checked with a dealer in the area and they want $460 to do this. I think that is a ridiculous since I've seen the paperwork that needs to be filled out by them and I'm thinking it's not going to take long especially since they gave me a 3 pm appointment time to do it. I have no issue with paying for their time but I feel like I'm getting ripped off in this deal.

My question is do you feel that paying total of $710 to get the 2nd year warranty is worth it? I realize that if I was to have a big expense in that time it would be, but I would think that it should make it thru 2 years of usage without a large expense though.

The selling dealer thinks he could get the appliances warrantied though since they're a separate deal.

How about the 12 year warranty on the roof? I asked Highland Ridge and was told by the person I talked to that he didn't know if it'd be covered or not if I didn't get the warranty transferred.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong area.....

Thanks for your input!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 pm 

OR Model: 323RL
Member ID: ORF-9636
Maybe you could do a little research and see what the track record is for this model. Our is a 323rls travel trailer and it just had its first birthday. We've used it a lot and have had only one issue covered by warranty, and that was through Dometic and not OR. Your selling dealer is probably right about getting that type of thing done.

No way would I pay that much for an inspection by a dealer that is supposed to represent the product. If the warranty is that important to you then you probably should be looking at a new unit to start with. But then, as I understand it, the new warranty has dropped to one year now anyway.

You might try to reason with the seller that having any warranty time left is of no value in his asking price?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:49 pm 

OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-12979
I think the selling dealer has the unit at a really good price now. It's around 13k less then the best price I've found on a new 2017.

He didn't know anything about the remaining warranty since he's not a Highland Ridge dealer so I don't think he added anything to the selling price becasue of the remaining warranty.

He is of the opinion that for the cost to transfer the warranty, I'm wasting my money. He said I can sell you an extended warranty if you want but I think they're a waste of money too. Never thought I'd hear a dealer say that!! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:04 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 3x349rls
Member ID: ORF-1024
You might check some of the other warranty companies, i.e. Good Sam's extended service plan, and see if it will fit your needs.Dave

2016 Ram 3500 cummins/aisin trans. 4x4 cclb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:13 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: RT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-11132
if your selling dealer offers you a warranty that might be your best option; either way good luck on what ever way you decide to go. I hope you get your trailer and enjoy it. Cheers

Twin Honda Gens
2017 Silverado 3500HD
Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel; Allison trans.
ProPride 3P Hitch
Titan Disk Brakes; TST 507 TPMS
Green Bay Packers 100%

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:37 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-0147
First thing contact Highland Ridge and ask for the warranty service records on the unit. You will need the vin #. This will give you an idea what's been done. Almost all units will have something that has been serviced. This might help you decide. Remember 1 repair that you may think is small, could cost as much as $1000. These things go down the road at 65 mph bouncing around, things are gonna break and come loose. I don't care what brand at some point you will need to repair something.
Now the other question is why did they get rid of it? Was there a major problem, did they decide camping wasn't for them or did they want to get away from the brand? Also if you get the warranty transferred will the dealer doing inspection be willing to work on your unit? I would get the warranty. As for going with the Good Sam warranty I've heard lots of folks say they aren't happy with it. But remember people tend to complain when they have an issue. People without issues tend to enjoy their unit and never say a word.
So if the dealer will work on it, I say get the warranty. If not you may have a hard time finding anyone to honor the warranty, they don't have to.

Good luck.

Full K&N filter, TPMS

Every exit is an entrance to a new experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:56 am 

OR Model: 3X387RBS
Member ID: ORF-13086
We are newbies and have not got are OR yet maybe sometime in August. MY question is who has the best RV warranty plan and out there. Is just putting your RV on your auto insurance is that enough? Me and my wife are getting confused what is the best thing to do. WE want to make sure we are covered for what ever comes up.

Thanks ED

2018 OR 3X387RBS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-1199
edandrose - There are two types of insurance coverage to consider. First the the standard vehicle coverage like your car but as an add-on. As well as the liability, property damage coverage, I have replacement cost coverage with a high deductible in case of a total loss. The second type of insurance is an extended warranty coverage which would take effect after your two year warranty ends. OR has the best warranty I have found. An extended warranty is difficult to collect on and you may not want to get it. Remember the job of insurance companies is not to pay!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:16 pm 

OR Model: 3X387RBS
Member ID: ORF-13086
Thanks so much for helping with this and sharing your information on the difference in RV coverage!!!! This helps a lot.

ED&Rose

2018 OR 3X387RBS