~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:08 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF 268 TS
Member ID: ORF-13981
Bad News: From looking at the online 2018 Light Brochure there is no mention of the "King Combo" pin box.
This is a big change for Highland Ridge and a large disappointment for short bed owners.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 am 

OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
First, welcome to the forum.

We had a Light 297 and now have Light 318. When towing there’s whole lots of wiggling going on back there. Good news is after 5 yrs with the 297, it didn’t fall off. ;-)

I look at a bare naked Light 319 frame while on a Light plant tour. My thoughts were while frame looks robust enough, what an odd way to support this see-saw fulcrum stuff, and it will wiggle, yes.

I am sure the bean counters at Thor saying why another hitch type, just standardize on a hitch across the board of all models.

Unless one of the board member owns the pin hitch company....well, that’s a “my cousin owns...” biz. :roll:

Anyway, whatever they do, this here Light 318 is gonna be last unit for us. We look forward to another 5 yrs (make that 4, our unit first year comes in Dec). My thoughts and feeling of RV ownership then may change. Our diesel F250 is 6 yrs olds, has 66k miles now. Hopefully it last another 5 yrs. No truck, no RV! :cry:

I would go full time, but wife has different feeling. No room to put a 10 ft longarm quilt machine. :-o

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:43 pm 

OR Model: Light 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-12484
steviewonder wrote:
Bad News: From looking at the online 2018 Light Brochure there is no mention of the "King Combo" pin box.
This is a big change for Highland Ridge and a large disappointment for short bed owners.

I saw that and hit the panic button. This was the best selling feature to me for my new coach. I wanted to pull it with a goose ball in the bed. I bought it with the sole intention of changing over to the gooseneck connector. I'm hoping that they will bring it back in future years but I bought a 2017 now because the 2018's don't have one.

If you're looking for one with the King Combo you can get a 2017 or a 2018 early release and still find them but you are correct that the new ones do not come with that feature.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum...
Pat

B & W Turnover Ball in bed with a Bulldog BX1 Gooseneck Coupler Inner Tube on the Coach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 am 

OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Some word is the combo hitch still available - as a Light 180, whatever the 180 means. ;-)

Seen some adapter apparatus to go goose neck. Even units with the std fifth wheel tow hitch can be fitted with adapter apparatus to convert to goose neck mode. So not all is lost if indeed the combo goes away.

One advantage of the adapter type is the RV can be towed either goose neck or regular fifth hitch, since the goose neck thingy can be removed.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am 

COTHAMM wrote:
Seen some adapter apparatus to go goose neck. Even units with the std fifth wheel tow hitch can be fitted with adapter apparatus to convert to goose neck mode. So not all is lost if indeed the combo goes away.

The problem for me was that if you put an adapter on the 5th wheel you void the structural warrantee from Lippert. So beware that if you put that much torque on the front end of the chassis which doesn't have the reinforcement necessary to handle the longer tube and the vector forces you may end up with a broken weld up under you bedroom and never know it.

The King Combo was built with the reinforcement necessary to handle that. I'm pretty sure you will see another company pick up the same chassis from Lippert and start marketing it. Before now I believe Open Range had the exclusive rights to that chassis as they were the only company offering it on their coaches.

Just my 2 cents.

Pat

B & W Turnover Ball in bed with a Bulldog BX1 Gooseneck Coupler Inner Tube on the Coach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:33 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 311FLR
Member ID: ORF-7359
very sad

Is it just me or is this very progressive company just going backwards?? Seems like t hey are just following the pack now and I am not sure why I would ever look at another one in the future

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:53 pm 

I feel the same way Chris. I bought mine specifically for the hitch. I could have gone bigger. I could have gone with a different brand for less money. But I bought the Light for the King Combo hitch. That was the biggest selling feature for me. Second was the wide body design in a trailer under 11,000 pounds. Those were the two things eliminated in 2018. Narrower body and no King Combo pin. Biggest reason I bought the 2017 rather than wait until next year.

I actually looked at a 2014 FLR and really liked it but decided upon the 319 instead.

The 311 was another discontinued floorplan that I am really sad to see gone. Along those lines the options in the Light series have gone from 6 to 2. Again, more like Thor and Jayco than Open Range.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm 

OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-11388
CoachHayhurst wrote:
I feel the same way Chris. I bought mine specifically for the hitch. I could have gone bigger. I could have gone with a different brand for less money. But I bought the Light for the King Combo hitch. That was the biggest selling feature for me. Second was the wide body design in a trailer under 11,000 pounds. Those were the two things eliminated in 2018. Narrower body and no King Combo pin. Biggest reason I bought the 2017 rather than wait until next year.

I actually looked at a 2014 FLR and really liked it but decided upon the 319 instead.

The 311 was another discontinued floorplan that I am really sad to see gone. Along those lines the options in the Light series have gone from 6 to 2. Again, more like Thor and Jayco than Open Range.

X2. The King Combo pin box IS the edge that OR has in the Light marketplace. It IS THE REASON that I and many others chose an OR. I have been a successful businessman for 40 years. This is the dumbest business decision I have ever seen. HR has a patented, exclusive piece here that gives them a distinct advantage over their competition. OR floorplans are nice. But so are several of their competitor’s. Without this advantage, there really isn’t anything that sets the Light series apart from the rest. This could be one of those fatal business decisions for Highland Ridge. It simply doesn’t make sense. What a shame.

I’ll be moving up in the coming year. OR doesn’t make the floorplan I’m interested in. OR hasn’t come out with any “really new” floorplans in the last few years. Their competitors have. They’re making bad decisions, shortened their warranty and aren’t giving the service they built their company on. I’ll probably not be buying an OR next year. Again, a shame.

2016 RAM 1500 Limited, 4X4, 5.5' box, EcoDiesel with air ride,
B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch with 4" ball extension.