~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: New owner/member
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: 429BHS
Member ID: ORF-14254
Greetings

I'm Wayne Nelson of Castle Rock, WA. My wife & I recently purchased a 2011 Open Range 429BHS 5th wheel trailer for our daughter & granddaughter to live in while our daughter goes back to school for her nursing degree. We are not experienced RV owners and my hope is I can learn a lot about the proper setup and usage of the unit. We do not intend to move the trailer, but to use it instead as a "guest house." We have it set up on a pad next to our garage plugged in to a 50amp outlet. We're currently using the furnace for heat, but it uses up the 4 little BBQ-size propane tanks pretty quickly. We are in the process of running a dedicated water line from the house to the trailer and a sewer line from the trailer to our septic system.

My very first question is whether or not anyone has access to an owners manual for this model. I called the factory and was told it was too old to have the manual online and there weren't any printed copies available. All my attempts to locate one have been unsuccessful. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help wln

Post subject: Re: New owner/member
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 376FBH
Member ID: ORF-6549
Can't help with the manual but as far as heat goes. Buy a couple of those small ceramic heaters. They will really help cut back on your propane usage.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: 3X427BHS
Member ID: ORF-13972
Hi - all I have at this moment is the general manual found here: http://rv52.com/wp-content/uploads/2011 ... Manual.pdf

From my understanding, this is pretty standard and then you get a handful of books for each component i.e. AC, refrigerator, entertainment etc...I pick mine up in about 2 weeks so I'd be happy share when I see more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm 

OR Model: RT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-11132
Wayne, if you are looking for Highland Ridge RV Owners Manual for your 2011 Open Range 429BHS call Open Range directly at (260) 768-7771 and they will arrange to send you a digital or printed copy if available. Good luck.

Twin Honda Gens
2017 Silverado 3500HD
Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel; Allison trans.
ProPride 3P Hitch
Titan Disk Brakes; TST 507 TPMS
Green Bay Packers 100%

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 am 

OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-12344
Well that's a good size unit for living in but your right you'll burn a lot of propain keeping it warm. I spent a winter in the Willamette valley, in a smaller unit, 34' single slide but this is what worked for me.
I purchased an oil filled raident heater, because it has no fans, and no super hot exposed surfaces. When it was on high I was able to push it out of the way with a my knee, bear skin to metal. During the day I placed it in the main living area near the edge of the slide figuring if a cool breeze was coming in that is where it would happen. With the heater at medium heat the trailer was comfortable when I got home from work. At night I put it in my bedroom at low, and closed the door. The room remained comfortable all night. During the nite the furnace would come on once or twice because the termostat was isolated from the heat of the radiant heater. I filled the glass bottles once a month weather they needed it or not. I usually only consumed one 15 gallon bottle. Except in January. That was a bottle and. Half month.
The best part for me was not having super hot surfaced to deal with. Very little fire risk accociated with these radiant heaters. I still use one in my 337Rls when I sleep in it at home. I work nights so when the grand kids come I go to the trailer to sleep.