~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: KY Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: RB2604
Member ID: ORF-13480
:Helo
My husband and I recently bought a new Highland Ridge Open Range TT. (UT2604RB) We have been camping since Feb. of 2014 when we bought a new 2013 Jayco Swift. We sold it on Craiglist bc we wanted a little more room. Since we received very good service and was highly satisfied with our previous purchase and dealer, we decided to buy again from them.

We live near Bowling Green, Ky and are both retired teachers. We enjoy camping in Florida and mostly state or National Parks bc of the simplicity and the beauty of the Parks. We mostly travel alone with an occasional trip with another couple we know.

The new camper has an outdoor kitchen which was high on my priority list bc I mostly cook outdoors. I would love any info about our specific camper and the experiences of outdoor kitchens in general.
We have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 that we mostly use for camping.

I hope to read a lot of useful information here.

Post subject: Re: KY Newbie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: OR 349
Member ID: ORF-4500
Welcome to the forum and safe travels.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:08 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-13436
Welcome and congratulations on your new Open Range!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:32 am 

OR Model: 323RLS
Member ID: ORF-9291
Hi we live in Evansville, Indiana. I'm also a retired teacher. My wife still teaches fifth grade. She could of retired several years ago but still enjoys it and has a great principal/staff so she has no plans to retire.

We also love Florida camping. Our favorite spots are the National Seashore near Pensacola, St. George and St. Joseph Islands and Cedar Key. We basically stay at campgrounds where I can use our Senior National Park pass. Another place, near you that we enjoy is Seven Points on Percy Priest Lake near Nashville and Crab Orchard Lake next to Carbondale, Illinois. Crab Orchard is close to some great golf courses and the Shawnee Hills Wine Trail.

Our last camper had an outdoor kitchen. We used it a lot. But because we used it we also also found it's limitations. Our new 323RLS doesn't have an outdoor kitchen. But I have everything that makes up the outdoor kitchen, plus more that I set up in a Clam Quick-Set Shelter. I use a extended gas line to connect my 2 burner Camp Chef Stove/Smoker to the TT gas connection. We also setup a portable frig, foldable table and storage area in the Clam. It even has the room for a hammock.

The problem I had with the outdoor kitchen is that the burners did not have the BTUs to handle certain types of cooking and were so close that I could not use two burners at the same time. Plus bugs seem to enjoy my company so I could not enjoy the outdoor kitchen without dousing myself with bug spray. Another problem was that outdoor kitchen sink on my last TT constantly leaked onto the floor inside the trailer because it detached when I took the slide in/out. The OR sinks don't leak but on some models (I think) you need a bucket to catch the drained water. I found that the OR supplied water hose connected to the outside connection does a great job of supplying water for big pot filling and cleaning. So we actually have an outdoor kitchen but not as part of the TT.

Sounds like we may have a lot in common. You guys are so close may I suggest we meet in Owensboro for a dinner or weekend lunch. I'd like to buddy up with another TT owner for some Florida trips. Send me a PM if your interested. We're going to the National Seashore this Spring during my wife's Spring Break. I'm also going, by myself (wife starts school) to the OR Owner's Rally next week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:14 pm 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0136
SunfishQueen wrote:
:Helo
My husband and I recently bought a new Highland Ridge Open Range TT. (UT2604RB) We have been camping since Feb. of 2014 when we bought a new 2013 Jayco Swift. We sold it on Craiglist bc we wanted a little more room. Since we received very good service and was highly satisfied with our previous purchase and dealer, we decided to buy again from them.

We live near Bowling Green, Ky and are both retired teachers. We enjoy camping in Florida and mostly state or National Parks bc of the simplicity and the beauty of the Parks. We mostly travel alone with an occasional trip with another couple we know.

The new camper has an outdoor kitchen which was high on my priority list bc I mostly cook outdoors. I would love any info about our specific camper and the experiences of outdoor kitchens in general.
We have a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 that we mostly use for camping.

I hope to read a lot of useful information here.

Welcome to the Forum.
If you head up I-71/75 to Florence that is where I grew up, live in PA now.
Wife and I are also retired teachers.

Check out the 2019 Alaska Tour.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19749

Doc

2018 3X388RKS Traded 2009 OR 337RLS SR#160
PullRite SuperGlide, 46gal Aux fuel tank

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:41 pm 

OR Model: UT2604RB
Member ID: ORF-13323
I have the same 2018 model trailer we brought home last month. Love the convenience of the outdoor kitchen but you may need a wind screen for the burners or a good breeze will blow your heat away. Another thing i noticed is don't put anything in the small fridge you don't want frozen if its set above 4. That little bugger gets cold, upside is you can chill your beer pretty quick. One nice feature you don't find on a lot of outdoor kitchens is that the sink drains to the grey water tank. Most of them just have a hose to the ground and most campgrounds don't like that. A little off topic but mine is going to a local shop next week to get the bathroom door flipped around so it hinges on the left and opens into the bathroom so i can get in without pushing the slide out. Enjoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 pm 

OR Model: 2604RB
Member ID: ORF-13106
SeanKinslow wrote:
I have the same 2018 model trailer we brought home last month. Love the convenience of the outdoor kitchen but you may need a wind screen for the burners or a good breeze will blow your heat away. Another thing i noticed is don't put anything in the small fridge you don't want frozen if its set above 4. That little bugger gets cold, upside is you can chill your beer pretty quick. One nice feature you don't find on a lot of outdoor kitchens is that the sink drains to the grey water tank. Most of them just have a hose to the ground and most campgrounds don't like that. A little off topic but mine is going to a local shop next week to get the bathroom door flipped around so it hinges on the left and opens into the bathroom so i can get in without pushing the slide out. Enjoy

interesting idea about the bathroom door. we have a 2017 model and love it. do you mind posting some pics when the door is completed? might have to do it in ours.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:55 pm 

Thanks everyone for the very nice welcome with lots of information and suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:06 pm 

[quote="SeanKinslow"]I have the same 2018 model trailer we brought home last month. Love the convenience of the outdoor kitchen but you may need a wind screen for the burners or a good breeze will blow your heat away. Another thing i noticed is don't put anything in the small fridge you don't want frozen if its set above 4. That little bugger gets cold, upside is you can chill your beer pretty quick. One nice feature you don't find on a lot of outdoor kitchens is that the sink drains to the grey water tank. Most of them just have a hose to the ground and most campgrounds don't like that. A little off topic but mine is going to a local shop next week to get the bathroom door flipped around so it hinges on the left and opens into the bathroom so i can get in without pushing the slide out. Enjoy[/quote]

I don't think I know how to reply to everyone's posts individually, so I will reply via quoting your answer Bc that seems like the only way to reply.
I will like the cold fridge Bc I love everything really cold. I was a little worried that the drain to the sink would have to be drained into a buckle after another post said theirs was that way, I am so relieved it has a drain! Thx.
We seldom use the inside of our camper when we are traveling, so I don't think the door opening to the bathroom will be an issue for us. But thanks for the heads with the door.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:28 pm 

OR Model: UT2604RB
Member ID: ORF-13323
Sorry it took so long to get the pictures of the bathroom door reversed. Ended up with a 14" opening to squeeze through with the slide all the way in.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.