~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:02 pm 

OR Year: 2018
OR Model: OR Model
Member ID: ORF-nnnn
Went and picked up our first Open Range today. It's a 328BHS. This is way better than the 2016 Forest River Vibe we had. Installed the Roadmaster Active Suspension and Blue Ox SwayPro and is tows like a dream. Truck only squats 2" and no change to the front. There are quite a few things on this model that they don't mention on there website or that I could find.

Pros:
1. By the outdoor kitchen there is a quick connect for a grill in addition to the 3 burrner cooktop

2. There are 2 Black water tanks and 2 grey water tanks because it is a bath and 1/2.

3. It has 2 Black water tank flush hookups in the back.

4. There is an outlet in the water / cable hookup area for a hose heater or whatever else you want.

Cons:
1. The Battery kill switch is in the front storage area and very hard to reach. If your bigger than 250lbs send a kid in...lol

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: OR 349
Member ID: ORF-4500
Congratulations on your purchase and safe travels.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 349RLS
Member ID: ORF-4659
Very NICE! Give a report on that rig and impression of the Titan. I know that truck has been the subject of conversation.

Enjoy!

Curtis & Donna
Retired SBC Telephone (him) Retired AT&T (her)
2014 RAM 3500 Lone Star 4x4 Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, Aisin Tran., 3.73 Rear Axel, LB, DRW
2015 OR 349RLS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 pm 

LivinTheDream wrote:
Very NICE! Give a report on that rig and impression of the Titan. I know that truck has been the subject of conversation.

Enjoy!

I've had a lot of trucks, a 2015 GMC 2500HD Diesel before this Titan. I liked it, but the Titan XD was $20k less and is IMO just as nice. Obviously there is a HP & torque difference, but the Titan tows the 10k lb TT with ease. I was running 70 mph at 1500rpm ant getting 12mpg. It doesn't have as much get up and go as the GMC, but I'm okay with that. The truck is every bit as heavy as any of the 3/4 f 1 tons so it handels a hevy trailer well. It breaks amazingly to.

I know there has been a lot of controversial talk about the Titan XD but this is my 3rd Titan ,had a 2007 & 2012 and both were great trucks. Have owned 8 Nissan's and 2 Infinity's and liked them all. I'm not a Die-hard for any one brand, I drive what I like.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:53 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: RT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-11132
Nice photo, congratulations on your new RV. Enjoy

Twin Honda Gens
2017 Silverado 3500HD
Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel; Allison trans.
ProPride 3P Hitch
Titan Disk Brakes; TST 507 TPMS
Green Bay Packers 100%

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:09 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 386FLR
Member ID: ORF-6673
Whoa them horses! I would keep it below 65mph until you upgrade them tires. Welcome to the Forum, stay safe!

RDS Model #73956 Aux Tank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 am 

OR Model: OR MODEL
Member ID: ORF-13656
I also just bought the OP 328BHS back in October and love it. I tow with a Ford Excursion V10 and added Air Bags to keep everything level. I also have the Propride hitch and it pulls incredibly well, but I can definitely feel it behind me. Same as you, I had the Forest River prior to this and I can definitely tell the difference in quality. I agree with your Pro's and Con's, but added a few of my own:
Pro's:
- Counter Space (was lacking in our last camper)
- 2 bathrooms is a HUGE plus; some people almost talked me out of this model because of the 2 bathrooms prior to buying, but glad I didn't listen
- Large living room couch instead of a dinette; never used the dinette in our last camper because we ate outside. Like the sitting space for the whole fam
- Dinette in kids room; major plus so we can send the kids to play games, eat snacks, etc
- Double slide gives so much Room and LOVE the island
- Underbed storage
Con's:
- What's up with the cabinet door location where the slide switches are. Dealer already tore it off closing the slide
- King bed doesn't allow for any walking room on passenger side of trailer; If I would've know, I would've got the Queen
- No Pantry
- Awning switch location for slide awning; not that big of deal, but it did take me a while to locate
- Quality of slide motor...already replaced one of them

So far, we love ours. I think from a quality stand-point (unless your buying an Air Stream), they're all about the same, so really it comes down to layout. We love the layout in the 328bhs...just too bad it took us two campers to learn all of the needs and wants we're looking for.

DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lag ('14), Golden Doodle ('12)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:07 pm 

Hay jbjuices,

I agree with you on all your Pros / Cons. The King bed is nice to have once your in it, however making the bed and moving around it is a pain.

how is the heat vent in the Bunk house? Mine is not blowing any heat at all....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm 

It's blowing heat back there, but we had to have a portable heater to keep it toasty when we camped back in November. If I remember right, there was only one duct in the room; am I thinking correctly? If you have no air flow at all coming out of that vent, then I would run it by the dealer.

Question on your couch cushions...did you do anything to side cushions to keep them from extruding out from the wall? I'm considering some type of velcro or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:33 pm 

Your Titan - This is a truck option that I didn't know existed. I can save a lot of money over the Ford, Chevy or Dodge going with a truck like this. Looking at your pic, the truck looks pretty level. Do you have any air bags or support in back? My Ford Excursion is awesome, but it's an '04 and we were looking to upgrade to a truck in another year after my (just turned) 16 year old got driving under his belt; he'll be pulling our pop-up for him and his friends to stay in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 pm 

OR Model: 3X427BHS
Member ID: ORF-13972
JustDoIt007 wrote:
Hay jbjuices,

I agree with you on all your Pros / Cons. The King bed is nice to have once your in it, however making the bed and moving around it is a pain.

how is the heat vent in the Bunk house? Mine is not blowing any heat at all....

Check the duct work from the furnace. I had 3 out of 5 sleeves that fell off.

46gal ATTI Aux Tank
BMV 700 Battery Monitor
TireMinder TPS
2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke 6 3/4' Bed
800 miles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 pm 

jbjuices wrote:
It's blowing heat back there, but we had to have a portable heater to keep it toasty when we camped back in November. If I remember right, there was only one duct in the room; am I thinking correctly? If you have no air flow at all coming out of that vent, then I would run it by the dealer.

Question on your couch cushions...did you do anything to side cushions to keep them from extruding out from the wall? I'm considering some type of velcro or something.

On the couch cushions I too noticed that they said away from the corner. I thing the best way to fix this is to use the same snaps they use on boat cushions. They hold well and are hidden. In fact I'm going to do this to all the cushions.

As for the vent I think I will pull the louvor cover and see if the duct came loose. I had a friend over and he said he pulled the bottom and insulated his PEX water lines and tightened up and rerouted some of the heat ducts and it made a drastic difference. He said he also insulated the duct that went to the bunkhouse and that increased the temperature by about 5-7 degrees in that room. His is the 308BHS model.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 pm 

jbjuices wrote:
Your Titan - This is a truck option that I didn't know existed. I can save a lot of money over the Ford, Chevy or Dodge going with a truck like this. Looking at your pic, the truck looks pretty level. Do you have any air bags or support in back? My Ford Excursion is awesome, but it's an '04 and we were looking to upgrade to a truck in another year after my (just turned) 16 year old got driving under his belt; he'll be pulling our pop-up for him and his friends to stay in.

In Dec. 2016 I picked this up fully loaded for $44k with 30 miles on it. The only changes I made from factory is a leveling kit and the Roadmaster Active Suspension. All together both cost me about $750 with a front end alignment because of the leveling kit. The truck is 310hp and 555lbs of torque. With the Roadmaster Active Suspension it greatly improved the handling. I would easily pull 12k lbs at 80mph if you feel like living on the edge...lol. I say that because I was pulling my buddies skidsteer that is a bit over 12k and look down and realized I was doing 80ish mph under 2000rpm. For the money you get a lot more bells and whistles with the Titan than the big 3 for less money. Shoot where else are you going to get a Cummins diesel in Allison Transmission and a Dana rear end....IMO this truck can pull way more than it is rated for. I've heard of guys on the Titan XD forum pulling 26k trailers.

Check out the Platinum reserve and compare it to a Denali. It's a pretty impressive truck and if you don't need 900 foot pounds of torque it's a good choice to save 25k.

The only negative is that it has a 26 gallon fuel tank.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:22 pm 

So I just checked and the heat duct that was going back to the bunkhouse wasn't even connected to the furnace at all it was just laying in the bottom below the furnace in the kitchen....:(

The crazy thing is the furnace has 5 duct outputs and I have 6 ducts coming to it. For now I'm disconnecting one of the ones for the kitchen since it has to and connecting the one to the bunkhouse. I'm going to have to get a Y splitter to reconnect the kitchen back in. I guess they're Factory trained HVAC guys took the day off....lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 am 

OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Welcome. And congrats.
Like the info on the a Titan diesel. We have the Ford F-250 SD diesel. Wish for a truck like your Titan yrs ago when I got this monster truck. Now RAM has 1/2 ton diesel, and Ford just announced new F150 diesel. Both RAM and Ford have 3.0 liter engines.

Most reports seem to reflect towing TT, but lil info on a fiver.

In either case, this “5/8 ton” Titan XD prob had them beat in power/weigh/haul factors, IMHO.

Enjoy that OR.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:25 pm 

OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Update: just got news Chevrolet 1/2 ton Silverado will have diesel in 2019.
No specifics yet, other than it’s a 6 cyl 3.0 liter, 10 speed tranny, lost 450# weight. Aluminum A arms for front suspension. Composite leaf spring, not steel for rear.

Something about they redid bed, now bigger inside. If you can call it size increase by .25 or .50 cubic feet. :lol:

Me, hard to swallow why not increase displacement to say, 4.0-4.5 liters? Few years ago, they had a cool 4.5L V engine, I think, but shelved that engine when all that bankruptcy issue popped up. Maybe same, retooled as 3.0 size.

Oh my - 1/2 ton diesel world exploding. Ford, Ram, Chevy and Nissan. Toyota?
I love to switch, but I own my truck, 67k miles. Humm...if can do trade swap with no money....

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV