~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Disney Fort Wilderness
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:14 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-6305
Just got back from our longest trip yet. Went down to see the mouse. We also spent a couple of nights in Southern Georgia.

On the way down, we spent a quick night at Lake City RV (Lake City, FL)park just off I-10. Recommend it for a quick overnight park. It is about 3.5 hours from disney.

Disney was great. The parking spots themselves are nothing special IMO, but the amenities at Fort Wilderness are great. We were on the 1300 loop. It is a big place. We rented a golf cart for the week. Golf carts are expensive there, but we did not want to be waiting on buses all the time. While we are not experts, we have recent experience with Fort Wilderness if you have any questions. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is a recommended activity at the Campground.

On the way back, we stopped in southern Georgia at the Pine Mountain RV Park. Big park. It being Memorial Day weekend, they were sold out. Good campground. Nice comfort stations, but not enough for the number of parking spots. We are big Walking Dead Fans, and this campground is 40 minutes or so away from where they film that show. We also visited FDR State Park.

It was a safe and fun trip. Our sons, aged 18 and 21 both went with us. Not sure how much longer the whole family will be able to attend these family vacations, so it was nice to all be together.

Note on the attached picture, I thought that I had a good looking rig when we stopped at a rest area, until the guy next to me pulled up. He was a real interesting fellow. "Cowboy Jack" is a professional driver, and worked in the wild west shows. You meet some really interesting people out on the road if you take the time to talk with them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://tennesseetraveller.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:24 am 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: LF305BHS
Member ID: ORF-5324
We love going to Fort Wilderness. Planning on going late this year and spending most of our time at Universal. Nice rig! Adding any horns like the other guy?

2015 LF305BHS Light
TST 507 TPMS

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:04 pm 

DavyCrockett wrote:
We love going to Fort Wilderness. Planning on going late this year and spending most of our time at Universal. Nice rig! Adding any horns like the other guy?

Awesome, BTW they just added wi-fi throughout the campground. I was a bit dubious, but it worked great. We could even stream netflix.

The horns are a "no", not exactly the look I am going for, as I am not cool enough to pull that off.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:07 pm 

superman wrote:
DavyCrockett wrote:

Awesome, BTW they just added wi-fi throughout the campground. I was a bit dubious, but it worked great. We could even stream netflix.

The horns are a "no", not exactly the look I am going for, as I am not cool enough to pull that off.

That is great! I never understood why it took them so long to do that. We were down this past December for Christmas and love it. We also get the golf cart, makes it really easy to get around. I like the idea you can even bring your own but we do not have one yet...

2015 LF305BHS Light
TST 507 TPMS

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:13 pm 

OR Model: 384BHS
Member ID: ORF-5854
It is about time they added WIFI! For the money you pay! We go there once a year. I think I like t there more than my kids!

I also hear, through the grapevine that they are removing the cabins and replacing them with regular sites. And on some of them, they are placing permanent TT's of fivers that you can rent. Did you see any of that going on?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:13 pm 

OR Model: 346-FLR
Member ID: ORF-4665
Living in Florida 2.5 hours away makes it convenient to get to but no residential break on the price either. We like to try the different pools, bike ride and hit the boat to the monorail and make the tour, the Polynesian has a great restaurant and bar with craft beers. DW actually got us in on Labor Day weekend just happens to be my birthday also :woohoo

346-FLR / F-350 CC DRW
B&W Companion Hitch - G614's
TireMinder TPMS, Voyager Rearview
Jensen Beach, Florida

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:37 pm 

Shogunles wrote:
It is about time they added WIFI! For the money you pay! We go there once a year. I think I like t there more than my kids!

I also hear, through the grapevine that they are removing the cabins and replacing them with regular sites. And on some of them, they are placing permanent TT's of fivers that you can rent. Did you see any of that going on?

They were building a new loop or two, not sure for additional sites or cabins. We did have a rental Class B next to us that I believe that the campground staff setup for them, but it was not permanent.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:23 pm 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: 367BHS
Member ID: ORF-3756
We will be heading down there in October with a stop in Charleston. Cant wait to see the looks on the kids faces again.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:51 pm 

starhm wrote:
We will be heading down there in October with a stop in Charleston. Cant wait to see the looks on the kids faces again.

2 years ago we did not tell our son where we were going to Disney. He did not notice till we drove up to the park! His eyes were as big as softballs when he noticed it was Disney Wilderness!! PRICELESS!

2015 LF305BHS Light
TST 507 TPMS

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:20 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-0147
Lynn wrote:
Living in Florida 2.5 hours away makes it convenient to get to but no residential break on the price either. We like to try the different pools, bike ride and hit the boat to the monorail and make the tour, the Polynesian has a great restaurant and bar with craft beers. DW actually got us in on Labor Day weekend just happens to be my birthday also :woohoo

I'm jealous, I was home with the flu all weekend. I love Fort Wilderness. I've been there well over 20 times and I'm always ready to go again. Lucky you.

Full K&N filter, TPMS

Every exit is an entrance to a new experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:57 pm 

OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-3771
DavyCrockett wrote:
2 years ago we did not tell our son where we were going to Disney. He did not notice till we drove up to the park! His eyes were as big as softballs when he noticed it was Disney Wilderness!! PRICELESS!

Loved that! Awesome.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:19 pm 

OR Model: RT309BHS
Member ID: ORF-2285
superman wrote:
DavyCrockett wrote:

This is great news. Were there about 15 months ago. Had to walk down to the docks to pick up wi-fi and check in for work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:23 pm 

OR Model: RT309BHS
Member ID: ORF-2285
Shogunles wrote:

I know for some time now, there have been a couple of companies that will pull a fully stocked trailer or fifth wheel to Fort Wilderness and set it up for you and then take it away when you are done.

We had a friend that used this company and loved it. I think I read where Disney itself is getting in on the act - renting their own trailers.

http://www.greenbergrvflorida.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 am 

OR Model: 384BHS
Member ID: ORF-5854
Pleak wrote:
Shogunles wrote:

I know for some time now, there have been a couple of companies that will pull a fully stocked trailer or fifth wheel to Fort Wilderness and set it up for you and then take it away when you are done.

We had a friend that used this company and loved it. I think I read where Disney itself is getting in on the act - renting their own trailers.

http://www.greenbergrvflorida.com/

Disney does not let a nickel get away from them! I am surprised it took them so long to figure out.

PS if anyone is considering on renting a golf cart there, I ha e a number for an off site rental agency that is half the price. The only thing is you have to meet him off property to get it. All you need to do is hop in his truck with the cart on a trailer and drive to your site. Then just simp,y drive back to return the truck/trailer and get your vehicle. And then vice a versa upon returning it. Or if you are lucky he will tell you to simply drop off the cart at a site for an incoming customer. Well worth the 30 minutes or so to save half on the rental. The cart he gave us last year was super fast. They are not junk!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:46 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 337 RLS
Member ID: ORF-13103
We stay there quite a bit as we live in Orlando. Tough to get a spot unless you book months in advance. The best advice is to request space based on your plans in the parks. The boat transportation to Magic Kingdom and the resorts on Bay Lake are one of the best things about Fort Wilderness. Stay in one of the back loops near the lake/ dock. There are no pull-thru spots. If you are great with backing, stay in the 100/ 200 loop, the proximity is a big plus. Google the Fort Wilderness Map, they are pretty good with accommodating. The walk-up counter service at the Pioneer Hall is very reasonably priced with great food, there are picnic tables right around the corner of the building with a great view; bring your own beer/ wine! The pool is excellent, but crowded on weekends, again, BYOB/W.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:40 pm 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0136
Been to Disney 3 times and only paid to get in once.
Buddy from college was director of internal transportation.
In 73 I called him when we were on our way back from spring break week in the Keys and he gave everyone in my car passes to all the rides, that was when you had to purchase a book and it had A, B, C and D ride tickets. In 74 stopped to see him on way back from interviews with Miami-Dade County Schools, got to ride in Mrs. Disney's car because his was out of gas.

Doc

2018 3X388RKS Traded 2009 OR 337RLS SR#160
PullRite SuperGlide, 46gal Aux fuel tank

Image Image