~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:38 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 3x349rls
Member ID: ORF-1024
jkjavelin wrote:
wilde wrote:
Spoke to Jim and Darlene and we are set to go in 2019. Can't wait.

Steve (Wilde) & Terri Sommers
Saukville, WI
2012 FLR340
2015 3500HD Silverado

Steve/ Terry- Do you know how many are signed up so far?
John

Fantatastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! We currently have 9 signed so far and when I talked to Jim earlier this week he was going to start contacting folks who put their names on the list at the CHR. If you missed it at the CHR you can still call Jim Weir at 360-244-1704 He and his wife Darlene are going to be our wagonmasters. If you have any questions you can call him and he will be happy to help you.Dave

2016 Ram 3500 cummins/aisin trans. 4x4 cclb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:44 pm 

Just heard from Jim who will be our wagonmaster on this trip that the cutoff date for this trip to be just for Open Range Forum members is 1 October 2018. What that means is that the company will have to open registration to the general public to complete filling the trip out. So by all means if you are interested please give Jim or Darlene a call and they can answer all your questions and get you signed up. Jim's phone is 360-244-1704 and Darlene's is 360-244-2147. Hope to see you on the trip.Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:16 pm 

OR Year: 2018
OR Model: 347RES
Member ID: ORF-3593
Trying to work on a budget for this trip as we work through our decision to go or not. What kind of costs are associated with the optional events? Would like to do some or all but the finance department (DW) has a lot to say about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 pm 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0136
RVDad wrote:
Trying to work on a budget for this trip as we work through our decision to go or not. What kind of costs are associated with the optional events? Would like to do some or all but the finance department (DW) has a lot to say about it.

Dave has been on this trip in the past.
He would be able to provide a range of pricing for the various Optional activities.
I do not know if the pricing is available for the 2019 season yet.
You may also want to call Jim who will be the wagon master, Jim's phone is 360-244-1704.

Doc

2018 3X388RKS Traded 2009 OR 337RLS SR#160
PullRite SuperGlide, 46gal Aux fuel tank

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-0147
Just a tip: when we went in 2012 we bought a coupon book at Safeway grocery store. We got lots of things 1/2 price. Bogo dinner cruise, ATV rental, Alaskan Bake, ice carving museum and Helecoptor ride. That ride alone saved us $400 it was fantastic. I don't know if they have the book every year but the coupon book was a great purchase. At the CHome Rally in June, Doc will do a presentation on the Alaska trip.

Full K&N filter, TPMS

Every exit is an entrance to a new experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm 

The extras that I have done are the salmon fishing trip where there was 4 of us on the boat and we got about 3/4 of our limit. The halibut fishing we had 20 people from our tour so we were the only ones on the boat and we limited out. The trips were about $240 each then the price for cutting up, vacuum packing, flash freezing. I don't recall how much it was but I didn't think it was a bad price. You can arrange to have it flown home but that was pricey. Mary and I have a portable fridge/freezer that we'll have with us. Anyone that needs a place to store their fish until we get back to the lower 48 are more then welcome to put it in our freezer. It freezes down to zero and kept our fish solidly frozen as it came out of the packing house.

Also you do not have to pay the whole price at once. Fantasy has interest free payment plans for each to consider. For example last year I put 15% down and took the remainder and divided it by the months left until 90 days before the trip. It came out to $254 a month that comes out of my bank acct. every month so I don't have to worry about it.

As doc stated you can call Jim Weir at 360-244-1704. He will answer any and all questions for you and he can sign you up right over the phone. We have made several trips with him and Darlene, his wife, including this trip twice to Alaska and have requested them to be our wagonmasters.

This is a great trip and we hopefully will fill it with all our forum members. We will probably have til the end of the year to fill it before they will have to open to the public. We need to have at least 19 rigs, minimum, signed up and we can take 22 maximum. We currently have 9 rigs signed up so if you're interested call Jim and he'll get you signed up. If you have any questions I can answer just ask away.Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: 347RES
Member ID: ORF-13326
I love Alaska and would love to go on this trip. Sadly, even though my Retirement date is in 2019, it doesn't begin till October 8. Bummer!
At least there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it's growing brighter.

2018 Open Range Roamer 347RES

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:07 pm 

Keep Jim's number as he'll be able to help you when you're ready to travel.Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 349RLS
Member ID: ORF-0895
Went we went on the tour we did not do a lot of the extras. I flew to the Arctic Circle from Fairbanks, my wife went on a whitewater raft trip at Danial instead and we spent less than $500. We did not go fishing because we had spent a weekend fishing trip before.
The tour includes a lot of things to do already you go to the Alaska Bake, Ice Carving Museum, three boat rides, train ride and many museums and 2-8 hour tours like the Columbia Icefields.

MOR/ryde independent suspension with disk brakes
Andersen Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm 

OR Model: 318RLS
Member ID: ORF-12610
I would love to hear the wisdom you are able to offer, as i think it may be a fun experience. I am thinking about one of these tours, even if it ends up being another they offer that lines up with my work schedule, or between contracts. I have always just hooked up and pointed the nose toward the horizon. The schedule looks like it has plenty of time for doing your own thing, hiking, naping, etc It is however just me and the dog. I would like to hear your thoughts, as far as joining one of them as a single participant, ( for what it's worth i'm 27) it sounds like the majority of participants are couples. But since most of my travels are solo, it would be nice to have others around.

Thank you for any insight you are able to provide. Happy Trails & Safe Travels

Just enjoy the ride"
- Chris Ledoux

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm 

OR Model: 272RLS
Member ID: ORF-6638
PN Yeti, I haven't been on the trip...yet...but I'm going on this upcoming OR trip in 2019. I'm single as well. I'm really excited about it, as it's a bucket list trip for me and when I heard Jarhead and Doc talking about it at the last rally it's clear it's just an amazing experience. You don't have to worry about making any campground arrangements, etc which I've heard can sometimes be a pain if you're just going all alone. And if something happens as you travel, there are people there to help you. I don't know that I'd be comfortable driving solo up to Alaska as a woman, so it really makes sense for me to join a tour like this, but from what everyone has said it's a great organization and worth the money. Hope you can join it sometime!

2015 Light 272RLS
2017 F350 CCLB 6.7L SRW
I'm a woman who likes to camp. :Helo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm 

We have had singles on our previous 2 trips to Alaska and they really had just as good a time as the couples. You won't believe how close you come with everybody in the group. On our first trip Mary and I were wondering how we would get to know and along with all the other folks. The 60 days literally were over before we knew it. The last nite together at the farewell dinner when we were given the time to express what we thought and how we felt. Believe me there wasn't a dry eye in the group and yes that included the men. We made many new friends and some we have stayed in touch with and have seen since.

All I can say is that we have done this trip twice before and wouldn't be doing it again if it wasn't worth it. Also Jim and Darlene who will be our wagonmasters have done our 2 previous trips as staff and they make it very enjoyable, that's why I requested them. All the folks that are staff form Fantasy have been really fantastic on all the other tours and rally's we have done with them. So come on and do this Fantastic trip.Dave

Last edited by jarhead on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm 

Some additional info. People do take their pets on this trip and on the days where we will be gone for several hours there are dogwalkers avaliable. We'll have 2 staff couples, a wagonmaster and a tailgunner. At the rallypoint when you check in you will get a package which will contain a travelogue and the Milepost which is a guide to Canada and Alaska travel and routing. It is about an inch thick as there is lots of info in it.

The travelogue contains driving directions which include places to stop for scenic views, fuel stops, places for shopping as well as places to eat and my favorite- places where you can get cinnamon buns. It also contains our itenaray, all the places we'll be going and things to see. There will be places to stop enroute where we'll be doing tours,etc.

Every nite before a travel day the wagonmaster has a meeting where we all get together and they go over the next day travel item by item so if anyone has any questions they can get answers at that time. The wagonmaster will say what time they are leaving the next day and what time the tailgunner will be leaving. You just have to be out of the campground by checkout time. On this trip you do not get in a big line and drive to the next stop. You should only travel in groups of 2-3. You travel at your own pace and you will be informed of what the earliest time you can check in at the next stop. The wagonmaster will be wiating for us at the next stop and will be parking you.

If someone has a problem,i.e a flat tire, you'll find that the other members of our group will be stopping to help you if possible, but one way or the other the tailgunner will stop to assist and will be with you till you're back on the road or until assistance is there to get you to the next place to get your problem taken care of. You'll never be left on your own.

Bottom line is that this is your trip and vacation so take your time and enjoy it.Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 am 

OR Model: 318RLS
Member ID: ORF-12610
drdit92 wrote:
PN Yeti, I haven't been on the trip...yet...but I'm going on this upcoming OR trip in 2019. I'm single as well. I'm really excited about it, as it's a bucket list trip for me and when I heard Jarhead and Doc talking about it at the last rally it's clear it's just an amazing experience. You don't have to worry about making any campground arrangements, etc which I've heard can sometimes be a pain if you're just going all alone. And if something happens as you travel, there are people there to help you. I don't know that I'd be comfortable driving solo up to Alaska as a woman, so it really makes sense for me to join a tour like this, but from what everyone has said it's a great organization and worth the money. Hope you can join it sometime!

Thank you Andrea! Its nice to not have not only company, but a team of others able to help. From all the research i have done it sure seems like it! - Jordan

jarhead wrote:
We have had singles on our previous 2 trips to Alaska and they really had just as good a time as the couples. You won't believe how close you come with everybody in the group. On our first trip Mary and I were wondering how we would get to know and along with all the other folks. The 60 days literally were over before we knew it. The last nite together at the farewell dinner when we were given the time to express what we thought and how we felt. Believe me there wasn't a dry eye in the group and yes that included the men. We made many new friends and some we have stayed in touch with and have seen since.

All I can say is that we have done this trip twice before and wouldn't be doing it again if it wasn't worth it. Also Jim and Darlene who will be our wagonmasters have done our 2 previous trips as staff and they make it very enjoyable, that's why I requested them. All the folks that are staff form Fantasy have been really fantastic on all the other tours and rally's we have done with them. So come on and do this Fantastic trip.Dave

Dave,

Thank you also for your insight! This forum has been an awesome resource, and it sounds like I would do just fine with the group! Its always good to network, and meet others. I appreciate you also expounding on the options for those with dogs.

Thanks - Jordan

Just enjoy the ride"
- Chris Ledoux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-9689
man, I sure hope these keep going for a few more years. I'd love to take one when I retire.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm 

I don't exactly how many years they've been doing them but we took our first in 2012 and they had been in operation before then. Their trips always fill up. They have 4 different routing on their Alaska trips. Davis and Allison did the one that included the Calgary Stampede. We just really like this one and have enjoyed it every each time.Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next