~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0001
We have a family that wants to purchase our 2010 Open Range 399BHS. The challenge they are having is locating a place (land, property) that will allow them to place the camper on and live there for a period of time (outside of a campground). Apparently Maryland jurisdictions have not sorted out 'tiny-house' rules to allow this to happen. Besides a campground or trailer-park, most places have some form of restrictions on how long a camper can be 'lived-in' on a piece of private property. Enforcement varies widely (mostly depends on neighbors/location). There are restrictions on receiving 'rent'/money for allowing others to park a 'tiny house' or camper on your property ....

Curious if anyone has specific locations that have been friendly in Maryland to 'tiny house'/camper families for periods of time (if there is a clause that states no more than x months, the camper can be moved for a small period of time and returned to the location .... ), money in an envelope can be 'accidentally' dropped anonymously on the driveway :) - (this is what others have stated ....)

I am trying to help this family - they have 2 children and want to move out of their house and live in a tiny house (they really like our camper's layout and the condition it is in). A tiny house of similar size would cost them 2-3 times more at a minimum and would not be as movable by a normal pickup truck.

I would obviously suggest items that would be needed to make it better-suited for a MD winter (plumbing protection, etc.) and I would assume they would have Electricity/Water/Sewer hookups. Electricity would be mandatory, Water would be almost mandatory although we can dry-camp for about 5 days with no problems) and Sewer would be ideal although they did mention replacing the toilets with composting ones (in that case they could use a dump wagon to remove grey water every few days ....) I have a 40 gallon one I would offer them - never used it myself.

Any full-timers that live in Maryland - anyone have property that would allow this family to park their camper on and live on (they are willing to pay the property owner ....)?

We love to camp - I won't be leaving the forum - we love our Open Range - we just have not used it much the last couple of years with teenage daughters - now that my oldest is about ready to drive, she will be getting summer jobs so besides not having open weekends for camping trips we would forgo our normal summer cross-country family camping trips as well (until our daughters are in College, then we will get another Open Range suited to the two of us (may still be a big/spacious one like the one we have now ....) Otherwise the camper just sits next to our house and that is not good.)

2010 Open Range 399 BHS (with a few mods)
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 CC Duramax/Allison (with a few mods)
Our family loves to camp!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 318RLS
Member ID: ORF-4198
I don't have an answer but I guessing none of the counties in the triangle between Baltimore, Washington and Annapolis allow RVs full time except in campgrounds. If I was looking I'd look in Frederick County, it is still a bit more rural and more mixed. If you friend finds an area, please post where because I'l like to have my own parcel just to park ours with minimal hook up....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:10 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 376FBH
Member ID: ORF-6549
I would be interested in knowing the answer to this also, When I retire we plan on relocating to Pax River and we want to buy land somewhere in Calvert county and build a house.