~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Taxes and fulltiming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 376FBH
Member ID: ORF-6549
For those that are fulltiming, if you don't still own a home, how do you keep from paying out a bunch of taxes at the end of the year since you can't use your home as a deduction. We are thinking of renting our house instead of selling it for this reason. However, we don't really want to rent, we would rather sell but are afraid we will have to pay out a butt load of taxes at the end of the year because we wouldn't have any deductions?

Post subject: Re: Taxes and fulltiming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 323RLS
Member ID: ORF-9291
I don't know the exact answer to your question about deductions. I'm not sure there is an answer that will makeup for your loss of deductions. But full time renting isn't the answer for keeping your complete deduction either. If you use the home as a residence and rent it for 15 days or more you have to report the rental income. You can deduct your interest and taxes. You can deduct other rental expenses, including depreciation. However, you can only deduct up to the amount of the income minus the deductions for interest and taxes. Carry over any rental expenses not deductible under this rule to the next year. Then, they'll again be subject to a limit.

BUT I do know that the interest paid on your TT can be deducted as a second home if you use the TT for 14 days or more and don't rent for over 15 days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:23 pm 

OR Model: 319 RLS
Member ID: ORF-6362
That is a question for an accountant (which I am not), but I always ask the question what does it matter if you pay the money to get the deductions or pay the tax. It is money gone either way.

It is my understanding of the current capital gains laws that if you have been living in your home (for one or two years) you will not pay taxes on the cap gains, however if you rent it then sell it without living in it you will have cap gains.

I am sure a full timer will jump in soon with all the answers :-)

2017 RAM 2500 Laramie, 4X4 Crewcab, 6.7 Diesel, Short Bed W/5th Wheel Bed Prep Package
Demco Premier 16K DBL Pivot Slider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-3771
State tax laws all vary. Best to contact a CPA in the state of residence and pay them their fee to figure it out for you.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-1199
If your income is still high, choose a State to live in that does not charge State Income Tax (Texas, Washington, New Hampshire, Etc (7)). Investments are the only other thing I know of. Certain investments create income that is not taxable. If you are making payments on our RV, you can deduct it like a house as long has it has a "Bed, head and galley). Most of the investments you could make should have been established years ago. (Heavy contribution in Roth IRA's etc). Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 pm 

Thanks for all the advice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 pm 

OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-2782
I think you can get partial capital gains break if you live in the home 2 of 5 years before you sell it. But the depreciation tax break does come back to bite you when you do sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am 

dottiedewey wrote:
If your income is still high, choose a State to live in that does not charge State Income Tax (Texas, Washington, New Hampshire, Etc (7)). Investments are the only other thing I know of. Certain investments create income that is not taxable. If you are making payments on our RV, you can deduct it like a house as long has it has a "Bed, head and galley). Most of the investments you could make should have been established years ago. (Heavy contribution in Roth IRA's etc). Good luck!

Although I am stationed in Virginia, I am a Texas resident so I don't pay State Income Tax. This may help some. I have the military version of a Roth IRA so I'm not sure how that will play into things. We may just bite the bullet and pay whatever taxes we owe at the end of the year. I really don't want a rental property!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:08 pm 

OR Model: 349RLS
Member ID: ORF-3741
Just keep in mind that we have 435 representatives and 100 senators devoted to closing loopholes in the tax code. If you find something that works for your situation, better to jump on it before it closes up. Best of luck.

'12 Ram 2500 Cummins
'14 349-RLS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:28 am 

OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-6305
I know everyone can't do this - but being debt free is a better goal in my mind if you are full-timing. Debt free is a requirement for us as we consider going full-timing soon. Why pay a dollar to save 20-35 cents in deductions?

http://tennesseetraveller.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:26 am 

OR Year: 2018
OR Model: 5th
Member ID: ORF-nnnn
TVDoc wrote:
Just keep in mind that we have 435 representatives and 100 senators devoted to closing loopholes in the tax code. If you find something that works for your situation, better to jump on it before it closes up. Best of luck.

There are no "loopholes" in the tax code. Only deductions, credits, and allowances. Only those who are not in a position to avail themselves of a deduction, credit, etc call these things "loopholes". I can't take a child care tax credit, so is that a "loophole" for those who can?

Those characters are not going to close anything. They will just rearrange the deck chairs to make things better for themselves and their select constituents and put the screws to anyone they don't like or care about, and then claim they are looking out for us.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:19 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-1894
Keep in mind if you rent the home you not only still have the expenses that come with it; the gain when you sell it because it becomes an investment and not your personal residence any longer; now you have renters. Renters can cause more problems unless they are SUPER people. First they might not pay, second renters have more rights in some states than the owner, third if you are travelling the house still has to be maintained for the renters (we had to replace a heat pump while traveling one year-not cheap). Last of all there is never any guarantee what condition your home would be in if ever the renters leave; whether on their own or if they are made to leave. Don't forget that the rent is now income and that will add to your tax liability. Claim the RV as main residence and any mortgage have their. We pay taxes because both our home and rv are paid for so we have no deductions and hopefully will do the "post card" tax return. As mentioned check into a state with no state taxes; that helps some.

Pay taxes; a lot less stress.

Jo

Full time over :cry: New stick built in South Carolina
"Enjoy it while you can! We're not promised tomorrow."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:19 am 

OR Model: 347RES
Member ID: ORF-10259
superman wrote:
I know everyone can't do this - but being debt free is a better goal in my mind if you are full-timing. Debt free is a requirement for us as we consider going full-timing soon. Why pay a dollar to save 20-35 cents in deductions?

Amen!