~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:03 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 3X427BHS
Member ID: ORF-7352
We are trying to sell our home and get the heck out of CT. We came here for the final duty station of hubby's 28 year Navy career. He retired 2 years ago. We've (unsuccessfully) been trying to sell the house. Even though we've lived here for 9 years, we're taking a HUGE loss on the sale of the house. It has gone down $100K in value since we bought in 2007. Ugh

My family lives 14 hours away and property taxes here are insane. There really is no reason to stay. My parents are getting up there in years, I hate that our kids only get to see them once a year.

Anyway, we are seriously considering going FT and heading south to be near my family. Possibly FT for a year and save up some money so we can buy another house. My concern is whether or not the kids would strangle one another. LOL We still have 3 kids at home and they are kind of spread apart in age. My boys are 16 and 8. My daughter is 12.

Anyone FT with teenagers and lived to tell about it? Thanks in advance for your time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0001
Our daughters have spent a month at a time on the road camping (we have done 3 cross-country trips) and were fine. Since we were traveling there was always a new adventure and they were actually more friendly to each other on these trips. On the other hand, if you are just parking somewhere for a year, then take a look at some of the Tiny House shows and decide if this would work for your family. The element of traveling and seeing new things, hiking, camp fires, etc. makes the vacation fun for them. If you are placing your camper on a piece of property for a year and having them go to school in a new location, etc., then there could be other challenges (peers teasing them about living in an RV - not that there is anything wrong with it ..., space when children are bored - does not happen on traveling trips because the family is engaged from morning to night, having a daughter with 2 sons sharing the same bathroom could become a challenge if the focus was on everyday life versus traveling/camping).

As a family we could live in our 399BHS for a long time, but if it was our permanent residence instead of a fun place to sleep during trips and we were not moving much, it would not be all that great. We would instead buy a tiny house with more/unique space for the family and sell it when we were finished with it assuming we were moving into something else.

Yes your 427 would be very functional for what you want to do and would save you money - ask your children if they would want to do it for a year .... if they agree then go for it. If they don't, that is when things might eventually get insane. If there is adventure in the FT experience for the kids, they probably would enjoy it and make for good memories. If we were putting our camper on some property and living in it, our children would not like that for long unless they were watching a new house being built or there was something similar/tangible they could see.

2010 Open Range 399 BHS (with a few mods)
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 CC Duramax/Allison (with a few mods)
Our family loves to camp!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 3X427BHS
Member ID: ORF-7352
Thank you very much for your candid response. We would be parking it in one place and sitting there for a year. I had not thought about them being teased for living in an RV. While that is sad to think about, it is a possibility. We definitely have a lot to think about. Thank you so very much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:53 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-1894
x2 on what Mark said. If they want to do the full time living (as an adventure) then they might really enjoy it. Most folks who full time home school their kids and that would avoid any teasing. Depending on where you "park" it there may be other full time kids. With today's economy the way it is there are more and more full time families; especially our wonderful military ones; that are living this way.

If public schools are the answer then have a suitable and honest comeback for the teenagers if someone comments on where they live. Something like "we are on an adventure while we visit our grandparents and look for our new home" or "we are testing the tiny house theory to see if we like" or whatever your family would want to say!

Thank you for your service from another retired military couple!

Full time over :cry: New stick built in South Carolina
"Enjoy it while you can! We're not promised tomorrow."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:16 am 
Site Admin

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0001
I was talking to my wife about this - as long as the location where you are parked is interesting for your children and there are things to do outside of your camper, then they would most likely be fine. If we parked our camper at my parent's house to live in for a year and they could spend much time there they would probably be fine. If we were in a park where there were few other kids their age and life was spent hanging out inside the camper much of the time they would not like that. The public school versus home-school would really play into this as well. Most public schools require a permanent address ....

Military campgrounds and camping quarters can be very nice .... if you are in the military that would open up a lot of good possibilities.

It is a shame kids treat others badly based on what they wear or where they live (even if temporary). When we bought our 399BHS back in 2009, it had a nicer kitchen than our house (smaller but higher-end cabinets and counter-tops). :)

A 3X427 is king of the 5th wheels when it comes to bunk-house units. If you can park in a place that is scenic with fun activities near by (a lake, river, etc.) that would be ideal. :) And not having to maintain a house and yard - bonus!

2010 Open Range 399 BHS (with a few mods)
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 CC Duramax/Allison (with a few mods)
Our family loves to camp!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:06 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: TRAVEL TRAIL
Member ID: ORF-6250
Just came across this thread and thought I'd chime in. We homeschooled our three children until they graduated from high school. We would have LOVED to have full-timed with them, but that just wasn't possible.

Based on the ages of your children in your original post, I'm guessing that you have a sophomore, a seventh-grader, and a third grader. How involved are your children in the social and sports activities of their schools? If they are heavily involved, leaving may be a challenge. If they are not, maybe not so much. You may find that going full-time after your oldest graduates from high school might be the least disruptive IF there are some strong ties to the local school system.

If you haven't already noticed it, your daughter will be wanting MUCH more privacy very soon. She may also want more space. Sharing a bedroom with one or two brothers may not appeal to her.

As for the house, I sympathize with you. We had our place for sale for well over a year before it sold and we didn't get anywhere near what it was worth. We were fortunate to have a neighbor who took care of things for us. Might I suggest that you use this time to do a bit more planning and preparation for your full-time adventures? Decide what you absolutely must take with you, what you want to keep until you settle down somewhere, and what you can get rid of. Remember that rented storage space is expensive - you can buy a lot of new furniture for what it would cost you to store what you have for a year. Some friends of ours left only enough furniture in their house to show the house, and the furniture that was left could either go with the house or be donated.

Be sure to talk you your children and listen to their ideas and concerns. The last thing you want to do is hit the road with the children and then find that they really don't like what you are doing - and you are a thousand miles away from home.