~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:31 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: TRAVEL TRAIL
Member ID: ORF-6250
We think that we're down to the Journeyer 340FLR (basically a backwards fifth wheel) or a Residential 398. Either one would be used, probably 5-7 years old. Tow vehicle will be an F350 of the same vintage. We're currently full-timing in a Foretravel diesel pusher motor home, 40' long with no slides. We love our Foretravel, and it was the right choice for us when we bought it, but circumstances have changed and we're staying parked for longer than we originally planned, so we're going to switch to a towable. We don't anticipate any below zero or over 100 temperatures (at least not on a regular basis), but we'll definitely be in places where either heat or a/c will be needed. We like those two floor plans the best.

The concern with the 340 is that the main cargo space is at the rear, which would tend to reduce hitch weight. Since hitch weight on a TT should be 10-15% of the coach's weight, is that going to be a problem? Or is the coach closer to the upper hitch weight empty, so that the cargo in the rear brings that tongue weight down some?

We don't do much boondocking, so a residential refrigerator isn't a problem for us (we have one now). In fact, we'd probably replace the rv refrigerator in the 340 with a residential one IF there was sufficient battery capacity to keep it running on travel days.

Speaking of travel days, we generally limit that to no more than 250 miles in a day (preferably less) and try to not travel more than two days in a row.

Probably no one has actually owned both of these coaches, but if you looked at both of them before buying one I'd like to hear your reasoning. It seems that both are reasonably available, so finding one shouldn't be a big problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:05 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-1199
I'd suggest a newer unit to buy, if it's been used a lot. Normal wear & tear from road travel is tough on RV's that don't have the heavy-duty motor home suspension systems.
We record our RV miles - currently 52,000 + on our unit, with no major problems, so far. We've changed tires twice since buying our unit new. Be sure to look for water damage in the floors, if looking to buy in a rainy climate.
Good luck in your search - it's a journey!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:24 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 340FLR
Member ID: ORF-5338
I load heavier items in the storage area of my 340 flr to reduce hitch weight . I use a reese dual cam and have absolutely zero sway issues. The dry hitch weight is pretty heavy on these trailers. I am still near 1200 pounds even with loading as much as possible behind the axles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:20 pm 

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: JT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-0027
As for layout the Journeyer 340 FLR works very well. Last month we camped for two weeks. we did 1100 miles in 3 driving days each way. The wife myself and three German Shepherds. I would avoid the 2009/10 and maybe 2011 Journeyer 340 FLRs. Check for the recall information on the specific years. They have frame issues. I have a 2010 had to take it in for the frame recall and still had bad sway issues. Mostly solved with a ProPride 3P hitch. They have since changed the geometry to correct that. This years camping didn't go so well. First day out, the middle valve on the water panel blew apart. Just had it hooked up the day before we left an all was fine and I always use a pressure reducer. So first two days no running water. Got mobile tech to come out and bypass panel on third day. So now it is plumbed like a mobile home. On day two I found a leak in the bedroom closet, trim piece fell off and interior wall was soaked. Thanks to this forum I knew where to check and sure enough the middle running light was leaking into the wall. Always carry a tube of silicone. Day four, the tongue jack stopped working. That turned out to be a loose fuse holder. Fixed with pliers. I almost forgot all the graphics are toast. I mean that literally. The front window graphic was sun damaged so bad, this year I just scraped it off so you could look out the window. Mind you these are problems on a 6 year old trailer. I would look at a 2012 or newer model of the 340. If you get a 2009/10/11 make sure it has had the recall done.