~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:40 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: 310BHS
Member ID: ORF-13476
Hi we full-time and our 310 BHS and I would like to use electric heat sometimes but need the blower from the furnace to blow into the underbelly is there a way that I can start just the blower without the furnace to circulate the warm air? If anyone has the wireing diagrams to that be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:09 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0621
If the furnace is not running/burning there is no warm air to circulate. Your efforts will be futile.
On the other hand if the living space is warm/heated lots of heat will radiate into the basement areas and help keep things warm.
In overnight temps into the 20's you'll be fine as long as the living area is warm.
However in the extreme cold we are now experiencing you will need furnace and any supplemental heat you can muster to stay warm

RV760,PIsurge,GSR Steps,Titan Disc,Sailun
14'Porta Bote w/8.0hp,Splendide,RVLock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:10 pm 

OR Model: 374BHS
Member ID: ORF-12740
Interested to see if there is a way too. Being the furnace draws air from outside and exhausts to the outside I’m not sure if it can just move air from heated living quarters to cold belly like a big fan? I’m no HVAC guy so I have no clue! When it’s below freezing I keep furnace rocking so belly stays warm. When it’s above freezing I only use electric heaters. We had a small electric heater in basement but I don’t trust that it was blowing hot air all the way back to the tanks and not worth the risk to me.
I have a remote temp sensor in belly as close to tanks as I could reach. With furnace set on 72 degrees and the outside temp being -7, the sensor says it’s 47 in the belly. It was -22earlier this week and it was 42 in the belly. I’m also skirted and I’m sure that is helping a lot too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:22 am 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0507
My furnace draws air from outside for combustion but the heated air is circulated from inside. If the furnace fan was engaged it would draw warmed air from inside and redistribute it, including into the belly. One way to keep the fan running without using gas would be to add a separate switch operating just the fan motor. I haven't done it nor have I examined the wiring diagram to see if diodes or anything else would be required.

2009 337RLS #0094 (purchased July 9,2008)
76727 miles as of Jan 1, 2018
2006 Ram Turbo Cummins, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch
Manteca, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 am 

danavilla wrote:
My furnace draws air from outside for combustion but the heated air is circulated from inside. If the furnace fan was engaged it would draw warmed air from inside and redistribute it, including into the belly. One way to keep the fan running without using gas would be to add a separate switch operating just the fan motor. I haven't done it nor have I examined the wiring diagram to see if diodes or anything else would be required.

Where is this warm air coming from? There is no warm air in the basement without the furnace's flame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:18 am 

OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-9689
Heat is moved by 3 methods: convection, conduction, and radiation. A normal furnace works by convection; it heats air and blows it around. If the main area of the rig is warm it will both conduct and radiate heat into the underbelly. Not nearly as much as when the furnace runs, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:04 pm 

BillSeurer wrote:
Heat is moved by 3 methods: convection, conduction, and radiation. A normal furnace works by convection; it heats air and blows it around. If the main area of the rig is warm it will both conduct and radiate heat into the underbelly. Not nearly as much as when the furnace runs, though.

In theory I don'y disagree with anything you said.
However without the furnace operating, the air moved by the fan will not be warm enough to make any measurable difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:23 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-6313
I think that Dan and the OP are on the right track. Running the furnace fan only will help.

If you maintain your rig at, say 70 degrees with the often 'free' electric heat,
then that is the temp your furnace fan would evenly distribute throughout the RV.
If it is very cold outside, the temps in the underbelly will drop below freezing
without air blowing into that area from the furnace duct. So blowing 70 degree
air down there is better than none, albeit not as good as 100+ degree air if
the furnace's gas burner was also running.

Here is a company that makes an electric heater for the furnace that allows
you to use electricity to heat with your furnace. http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm 

jfmjr wrote:
I think that Dan and the OP are on the right track. Running the furnace fan only will help.

If you maintain your rig at, say 70 degrees with the often 'free' electric heat,
then that is the temp your furnace fan would evenly distribute throughout the RV.
If it is very cold outside, the temps in the underbelly will drop below freezing
without air blowing into that area from the furnace duct. So blowing 70 degree
air down there is better than none, albeit not as good as 100+ degree air if
the furnace's gas burner was also running.

Here is a company that makes an electric heater for the furnace that allows
you to use electricity to heat with your furnace. http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/

John

That 70º air you refer to does not exist at the furnace blower. The furnace is located in unheated space. The air surrounding the furnace is cold. There is no warm air at the furnace to circulate. Now as the blower begins to run it is blowing cooler air from the basement throughout the trailer. There are no returns ducts in each room of an RV to help with circulation. Blowing cold air around will do very little to warm anything.
Simply keeping the cabin warm will warm the basement as the heat radiates throughout the trailer no furnace blower necessary.
If the OP wishes to be proactive and heat the basement, I suggest placing an additional space heater in the basement.
Running the furnace blower alone is futile and won't do very much. Consider it will actually blow the precious warm air you have out the exhaust vent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm 

On our unit the furnace is located on the inside of the camper and pulls air through a wooden slated grill to the right of our refrigerator my thought is if i do run out of propane or if i just what to run on electric heat from the fireplace and space heater it would help circulate the air more even through out not to mention blowing it in to the under belly. What happened we have a very cold spell and i left for work one day and left the furnace on 68 and the fireplace at 72 so the furnace never started up so i came home to a frozen line in the underbelly. I have since then skirted it (what a HUGE difference that made!!!) and only run the gas furnace when its below freezing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-6313
Lantley,
The different models may have quite different layouts, but on mine the furnace draws air from the cold air return under the stairs.
While it is called a 'cold air return' that is in reference to the furnace. The air migrates from the various floor vents throughout the trailer
and then is drawn back to the furnace through the 'cold air return'. The air entering the cold air return to be heated by the furnace is
very close to the ambient room temp of the trailer (perhaps 70 degrees).

John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:21 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: 337 RLS
Member ID: ORF-5202
Ours has a cold air return in the bathroom down to the furnace so the furnace can circulate air in the basement and underbelly I believe its part of the four seasons package. *If so* then in theory running the fan would pull warmed air from the living quarters and circulate it through the heat exchanger into the underneath and other parts of the rv, however in reality there isn't going to be much heat available just the ambient floor air temp from the living quarters. I guess it would mix it and help to some degree.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 pm 

OR Model: 337 RLS
Member ID: ORF-5202
What if you placed an electric heater right at the cold air return? If you get the fan working by itself that is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:36 pm 

That’s what my thought is it might no be the the most efficient but at least it would be getting some warm air to the underbelly to prevent freezing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm 

OR Model: RT247FLR
Member ID: ORF-0118
What about adding a small fan to move air to basement. These fans https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-equi ... s/=1b01pgf come in small sizes. We have then in alot of our equipment at work to help in cooling electronics. They come in all different sizes and are ac or dc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:42 am 

shepstone wrote:
What if you placed an electric heater right at the cold air return? If you get the fan working by itself that is.

What if you just placed the electric space heater in the basement. That is the area we are trying to heat.
Why fool around with the return?