~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm 

OR Year: 2018
OR Model: RF371MBH
Member ID: ORF-13824
Ok, I'm still learning about my 2018 Roamer RF371MBH and I have a satellite question:

I have a Directv HD antenna set up on a tripod and run the cable to the satellite install area to Satellite #1. Got everything aimed and setup for the TV in the living area. Went fine. Now I purchased a SWM splitter and hook up Satellite #2. Great, TV in extra bedroom works. Now this is where I started questioning myself. The camper has 5 locations for the satellite but only 3 hookups. I'm interested in setting up the outside connection that's in the storage unit. If i wanted all five connections hooked up, how would I?

I use the cable connection from the storage area to get local OTA channels But I want satellite outside also. I have to get another Sat box for the outside so I haven't tried the outside hookup yet. Are there Satellite splitters installed somewhere?

-thanks. tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:22 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-7680
I guess you you could run a coax on the ground and come up thru the hole in the floor of the storage area and plug directly into the TV, that's what I do.
One thing I know for sure is not all coax is a continue piece, sometimes it is sliced and may be sliced to a different color coax. Mt RV has 4 different color coax, black, white, orange and gray. My Sat1 starts out white in the convenience center and the other end behind the entertainment center is black. I have heard of splitters being used, the only way to find out is do a continuity test from end to end and label them. My Sat3 has on cable on it so it was a unused port.
I forgot to mention some of the coax could be cheap RG6 or just RG59 coax. Some people like myself found out that HD Satellite TV may not work on some of the cheap coax. I had to have some of mine replace with high quality coax when I switched from Directv SD to Dish HD, most of my HD channels would not come in until I upgraded the coax.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:35 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
Go to home depot or similar and look for cable testing meter. Cost under $20 and have 4 color coded terminals that screw onto tv coax lines. You can then test each connection and know exactly where they terminate.

No more guessing.

If you're getting another box for the outside, you can connect it directly to the dish, right?

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
B&W Patriot 5th wheel hitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:39 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
Oops looked it up. Mine is a Klein and it's $30. Look for VDV Coaxial Explorer Plus Tester

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
B&W Patriot 5th wheel hitch