~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: What would you do?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: RT310BHS
Member ID: ORF-9791
Well my concern now is DA load. If its maxed at 3800 then its my limiting factor. The hitch issue can be resolved both on the truck and trailer. Im kinda thinking the Anderson 3398 may be the way I go along with a class v 2.5" reciever if I can get my axel load down.

Dropping the PP hitch takes 200lbs off the TW and the Anderson is only 56lbs. Doing that should put me in the ~1400-1450 ballpark for TW.

If I go class v on the truck I wont be exceeding its load baring cap. Then it just comes down to drive axel load and by my limited math skills making those changes would leave me ~150lbs over on DA weight.

2014 F350 Platinum/FX4 6.7L PSD 3:55
2017 OR RT310BHS (Every option but dual pane windows)
Pro-Pride 3P Hitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 3x349rls
Member ID: ORF-1024
When we went to Calif. last month we saw an accident that boggles the mind. On I5 northbound on the bridge crossing Lake Shasta there was a tt laying on the door side with the tongue pointing north. The pickup was sitting on top of the tt upright on its wheels facing south. Now I don't know exactly what happens but all my years of towing lead me to believe that something went wrong due to being over loaded or excess speed and the tt became the dictator of their travels. Bottom line if you push the weight envelope then the tail will start wagging the dog and all bets are off on what will happen. The other thing is everyone asks if they have enough power to pull their rig, but do you have enough truck to stop it.Dave

2016 Ram 3500 cummins/aisin trans. 4x4 cclb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:58 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 308BHS
Member ID: ORF-8936
jarhead wrote:
When we went to Calif. last month we saw an accident that boggles the mind. On I5 northbound on the bridge crossing Lake Shasta there was a tt laying on the door side with the tongue pointing north. The pickup was sitting on top of the tt upright on its wheels facing south. Now I don't know exactly what happens but all my years of towing lead me to believe that something went wrong due to being over loaded or excess speed and the tt became the dictator of their travels. Bottom line if you push the weight envelope then the tail will start wagging the dog and all bets are off on what will happen. The other thing is everyone asks if they have enough power to pull their rig, but do you have enough truck to stop it.Dave

Dave totally agree but the stopping issue is a lot easier to fix then numbers problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:09 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0621
bigl31 wrote:
Well my concern now is DA load. If its maxed at 3800 then its my limiting factor. The hitch issue can be resolved both on the truck and trailer. Im kinda thinking the Anderson 3398 may be the way I go along with a class v 2.5" reciever if I can get my axel load down.

Dropping the PP hitch takes 200lbs off the TW and the Anderson is only 56lbs. Doing that should put me in the ~1400-1450 ballpark for TW.

If I go class v on the truck I wont be exceeding its load baring cap. Then it just comes down to drive axel load and by my limited math skills making those changes would leave me ~150lbs over on DA weight.

You are more or less correct with those thoughts. However now you have a rig where you have to monitor everything you do. Every pound you put in etc. You have chosen a hitch not for its ability but for its weight. Every move you make revolves around weight.
In my mind it's OK to fudge the GVWR of the truck a bit if you must. But axle ratings and tire ratings should be adhered to 100%.
Are you planning to stick with those 50 PSI tires? They are a major concern and can definitely cause a poor towing experience.

RV760,PIsurge,GSR Steps,Titan Disc,Sailun
14'Porta Bote w/8.0hp,Splendide,RVLock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:19 pm 

Lantley wrote:
bigl31 wrote:

You are more or less correct with those thoughts. However now you have a rig where you have to monitor everything you do. Every pound you put in etc. You have chosen a hitch not for its ability but for its weight. Every move you make revolves around weight.
In my mind it's OK to fudge the GVWR of the truck a bit if you must. But axle ratings and tire ratings should be adhered to 100%.
Are you planning to stick with those 50 PSI tires? They are a major concern and can definitely cause a poor towing experience.

So my plan is:
1. Search for a 1 Ton Dually at the right price point.
2. Remove/Sale or get refunded for the Pro Pride P3 - Purchase/Install a heavier hitch (required regardless)
3. Tires if the search becomes to long for a better TV

I want to gauge tire performance after the hitch swap before going down that path to far.

None of its fun or ideal. I thought Id done my homework well enough prior to ordering the RV. But even 4 months of the best laid plans can get monkied by one thing going sideways. Stupid freakin 6.0 PowerStroke bit me again. The thing just wont let go of me.

Pro-Pride 3P Hitch

Last edited by bigl31 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm 

Sounds like a good plan. I feel your pain. Hopefully some of our commentary and ideas were beneficial.
It's easy for all of us in internet towing gurus to play Monday morning quarterback and throw out suggestions.
Though we have no skin in your game we all know how easy it is to get into a pickle with a mismatched combo. Trusting the wrong salesman, making misguided assumptions or failing to completely understand the math can haunt you in a big way. Swapping a new vehicle can play havoc with your wallet.
I totally understand your situation and hope it works out for you. Your mindset and reasoning have been very rational and sensible throughout this entire post.
Thanks for sharing,hopefully we were a decent sounding board. Good Luck.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:11 pm 

Lantley wrote:
Sounds like a good plan. I feel your pain. Hopefully some of our commentary and ideas were beneficial.
It's easy for all of us in internet towing gurus to play Monday morning quarterback and throw out suggestions.
Though we have no skin in your game we all know how easy it is to get into a pickle with a mismatched combo. Trusting the wrong salesman, making misguided assumptions or failing to completely understand the math can haunt you in a big way. Swapping a new vehicle can play havoc with your wallet.
I totally understand your situation and hope it works out for you. Your mindset and reasoning have been very rational and sensible throughout this entire post.

Absolutely! Without the advise of this forum Id still be struggling on my own to figure out what to do.

Thanks to all who jumped in and provided thoughts and advise!

More to come as the adventure continues....

Pro-Pride 3P Hitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:43 pm 

bigl31 wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Absolutely! Without the advise of this forum Id still be struggling on my own to figure out what to do.

Curious why your set on a dually? You can get a nice SRW F350 or equivalent and save whole bunch of money. With a Dually its really not a daily driver, more for those full time campers hauling a 5th wheel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 pm 

OR Model: 3x349rls
Member ID: ORF-1024
I was in the same situation when I bought my first OR. Had a 2500 chevy duramax and it pulled the 5er well but I was at or over my weights so I needed to move up to a 3500. As Lantley said you seem to be on the right track. Good luck and hope to meet you on the road some day.Dave

2016 Ram 3500 cummins/aisin trans. 4x4 cclb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 am 

Shaggy1970 wrote:
bigl31 wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Curious why your set on a dually? You can get a nice SRW F350 or equivalent and save whole bunch of money. With a Dually its really not a daily driver, more for those full time campers hauling a 5th wheel.

A dually is certainly not for everyone nor is it needed by everyone however I went with a dually to avoid being in the OP's predicament. I am a large trailer kind of guy,which ultimately means I'm a large truck kind of guy.
I chose the largest truck I could get so I could avoid the need more truck syndrome. I did not want my truck to limit or determine which trailer I could get.
Ultimately, as this thread shows, your trailer size is determined by the truck size. Getting it right the 2nd time, or upgrading trucks with each trailer purchase will cost even more.
I jumped out into dually land because I prefer to only buy my trucks once. All trucks are expensive. A loaded F-150 Eco boost with all the options including max payload and max tow is not a whole lot cheaper than a diesel dually, especially if you consider the used market. However the dually can do it all. Where the F150 has its limitations.
I agree the Dually is not the ultimate daily driver, but I drive mine everyday without issue.
If I had a downtown job with underground parking. I imagine I would have a commuter car to go with my dually.
In the end this is a RV forum and for towing a large RV you need a large truck.
If towing your large RV is your priority you may choose a dually for the best tow experience. If towing you RV is not your top priority you may choose a less capable truck which will limit your RV choices and deliver a less relaxing tow.
If you know you prefer large trailers going straight to the dually avoids the more costly gradual upgrade game.
We see what the OP is dealing with. We have read of others eventually getting it right and getting the dually down the road. As we all have experienced at some point, it always cost more to get it right the 2nd time! :-x
Going dually may not be for everyone but it works for me. The fallacy is that going dually is about money. Going dually is less about money and more about the desire to have a stout tow vehicle that can deliver a relaxing tow. We all have lots of $$$ tied up in our RV stuff. Relatively speaking $$$ are not the deal breaker for going dually considering how many dollars we already have tied up in our combos as it is.
Thoroughly understanding the tow parameters is what will lead one to buy a dually. Once you realize the dually is the most capable thing out there, if you want to tow large, it will be clear that the dually is the way to go.
I must add all my dually comments are based on someone looking to travel without limits.
If you are a local 150 mile radius RV'er my comments may not apply.But if you are full timing or just looking to travel far and wide without limits with a large trailer, the dually will shine through.
Getting it right the first time is often hard to do. Many of us want to just dip a toe in the water vs. jumping in the deep end. Tow dipping is OK but it generally takes longer to swim across. More importantly it often cost more to get to the otherside vs. just jumping right in with 6 wheels! :-P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:52 am 

Im with Lantleys train of thought. Im a big trailer kinda guy and I try to hold my trucks 10+ yrs before upgrading. Our current trailer is heavy and I knew it would be. At the time of purchase I had no reason to expect to purchase a new tow vehicle but as life would have it we had to or at the very least drop significant money into a fresh engine. The mistake I made was not getting numbers down before going in search of a new truck and Im going to pay for that decision now.

Ultimately, I want a truck Im not going to have to replace in 5-6yrs when we sell the bunkhouse trailer; when kids have lost intrest. We will probably move to a big livingroom setup for the Mrs and I to hit the road together.

Pro-Pride 3P Hitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:37 am 

OR Model: 297RLS
Member ID: ORF-10355
Good luck with your search, hope you find a truck that meets your needs and don't get killed to bad on the swap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:56 pm 

Well after two weeks of searching Ive found a '14 SRW F350 Platinum w/56k miles on it that Ill own come Monday afternoon. Came out a touch ahead on a super clean truck after the trade. Almost feel like I stole it. All the duallies I found were 3-5k more so the dually search halted fairly quickly. Now to do something about the P3 hitch.

Pro-Pride 3P Hitch

Last edited by bigl31 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:41 pm 

bigl31 wrote:
Well after two weeks of searching Ive found a '14 SRW F350 Platinum w/56k miles on it that Ill own come Monday afternoon. Came out a touch ahead on a super clean truck after the trade. Almost feel like I stole it. All the duallies I found were 3-5k more so the dually seach halted fairly quickly. Now to do something about the P3 hitch.

Diesel or 6.2? Whats the GVWR?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:55 pm 

OR Model: 376FBH
Member ID: ORF-6549
That will solve your problems!!! Won't have any problems towing it with that thing!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:44 pm 

OR Model: 297RLS
Member ID: ORF-10355
bigl31 wrote:
Ive found a '14 SRW F350 Platinum w/56k miles on it that Ill own come Monday afternoon.

Congrats, that will be plenty for your TT and grow with you into a 5th wheel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next