~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: UT2910RL
Member ID: ORF-12107
We have a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with 5.7, tow package, 3.92 axle, integrated brake control...ect. Max tow rating is 10,160 for this truck. I know the Rams weak spot is carrying capacity so going to add air bags to help keep things level. We are looking at 2 different OR trailers the Ultra light 2910RL or the Light 272 RLS. The ultra light has a UVW of aprox 6500 lbs vs the 272 Light UVW of 7755 LBs. Tongue weight is within 15 lbs with the heavier unit at 830 and the ultra light at 813 lbs. I was planning on using a Reese dual cam hitch if we went with the ultra light and a Hensley or Pro Pride if we went with the Light 272. Wanted to get some opinions on these setups and how well the bigger unit would tow. We live in central AR and tow through the "mountains/ hills" between here and MO and plan to do some longer distances to FL out west etc. Obviously the smaller unit would be easier, but would the bigger unit be uncomfortable towing experience? Of course we like the bigger unit quality and layout better. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: LT272RLS
Member ID: ORF-7104
We have the LT272, love all the room and floor plan. Was concerned about the weight when originally looking but found when we have it loaded it is just under 8400lbs. The first 9 months we towed with a F-150 equipped with a V-8 and max tow package. It did struggle some in the mountains of TN and NC but we got where we we going. Initially had an eaz-a-lift WD hitch, quite a bit of sway, pain to hook up. Switched to an Equal-i-zer WD, night and day difference. Easy to hook up and no sway, like the trailer isn't even there. TV is now a Ram 1500 with the Eco-Diesel and it does a fantastic job. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the decision.

2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn Eco-Diesel 3.92
USN (Retired)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 pm 

OR Model: LT282RKS
Member ID: ORF-10701
was very happy to see this post as we have the Ram Ecodiesel and are picking it up at the end of April.
I am a bit concerned whether it will pull an OR 282 RKS but your post eased my fears.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:15 pm 

Member ID: ORF-7104
Glad to help out. Put about 2000 miles on it before we started towing. Get 13-14 mpg towing, 29 highway. You'll love it. Only time I get to drive it is with the trailer attached or taking it to wash it. DW LOVES it. Might have to get another one for me.

2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn Eco-Diesel 3.92
USN (Retired)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:14 pm 

OR Model: 374BHS
Member ID: ORF-11154
I had a 2012 ram 1500 5.7l with 3.92 gears but the 6spd transmission. The gears in the 8spd are lower at first but the the last three are the same. My TT was 6500lbs try with a tongue weight of 650. Fully loaded before kids we were at 7500lbs and a 900lb to guess weight scaled. I probably towed for 15,000 miles over three years including some longer trips of 7-8 hours. I didn't tow anything lighter are heavier than that camper so I'm not sure how much weight or wind resistance played into it. I averaged 8.64 mpg on my last trip to Maine and I'd say that was about the usual.

It was quite a good amount of weight for the truck and it did have to work. I tried to keep it at 3k-3.5k rpms on the hills as anything higher and the temps rose quickly. Never had any check engine lights or issues just going by the digital gauges. I was also 300lbs over gvwr but under my rawr by over 300lbs. I was also under my gvwr by 2000lbs The new trucks are rated to 6900lbs, gvwr, where mine was only 6700lbs so it wouldn't be as much with a newer one.

I can't remember but I think the receiver rating is 1200lbs, it's in the book bc for some reason they refuse to put it on the receiver. You will be close to the upper end and will want the 1400lb bars.

I had a quite the time setting up my hitch, it required many adjustments to make it perfect. I could easily tell when it wasn't right and it did have to be perfect to have an enjoyable driving experience. It was quite the experience when it wasnt. It was an equalizer 4pt with 1200lb bars. can't figure out how anyone can tow the 310 or 308 Roamer with a half ton and call it doable. I wouldn't even consider it.

I also had airlift 1000. Pretty simple install, kept them seperate. While they firm up the suspension I really didn't use them much for towing, I mainly aired them up when I was transporting firewood for the season. You need be careful when combining airbags and a WDH, especially a friction based sway control one like the 4pt. You want to make sure the hitch is doing its job and is distribution the proper weight and that your airbags aren't doing the work.

I'm by no means playing the weight police game just trying to give you honest feedback. I personally didn't have any issue towing being slightly over weight but you will only be heavier. I don't know what else or who else will be in the vehicle and any additional weight but you will need to consider these wisely

2018 374 BHS, Residential fridge, 4 Maxx Air fans, 2nd AC

Curt Q20

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:34 am 

OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-11388
Have you considered one of the fifth wheel Light's? They tow MUCH better than the travel trailers do. Set it up to be a gooseneck, install a gooseneck hitch on your truck and you get all the benefits of a fifth wheel (more room inside, more storage and the towing benefits of a gooseneck) AND full use of the bed in your truck both towing AND not towing. The simplicity of the hookup is another thing. With a TT you WILL end up utilizing a weight distributing hitch (good one are $300-900) and for that kind of money, you are not so far away from being able to install a B&W hideaball gooseneck hitch.

We have a 319RLS that we tow with a 5.5' bed RAM 1500 EcoDiesel with air ride. The 319 has the gooseneck setup and the truck a B&W hitch. Tows great. We just got back from a 3500 mile round trip with no problems whatsoever. The EcoDiesel gets 13-15mpg towing and 28-30 mpg not towing. The eight speed keeps the engine in its power band and (the transmission) never heats up over 185-190 which is where it runs when not towing.

Our previous RV was a travel trailer that weighed about 7000lbs. The new fifth wheel/gooseneck 319RLS is a part of OR's Light series designed to be towed by a half ton truck and if I had to do it again, and I was limited to towing with a half ton truck, would highly recommend any of the Light fifthwheels. That much weight on the bumper will NEVER tow as well as putting the weight in the bed of the truck. The gooseneck hitch setup I'm using gives me full use of the bed of my truck when not towing and gives me the benefits of towing a 5er. With my rig, even with a toolbox installed in the bed, I can turn almost 100 degrees without any damage.

I'd highly recommend you check out the Light series fifth wheels before pulling the trigger.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2016 RAM 1500 Limited, 4X4, 5.5' box, EcoDiesel with air ride,
B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch with 4" ball extension.

Last edited by creagin on Sat May 20, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:27 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
Don't know the specs on those rigs, but I would forget EVER seeing a UVW weight on anything you want to tow. ALWAYS go by the GVW. More often than not, the vast majority of RV's are towed at or near the GVW. Are you going to camp empty?

Things like awnings, heavier tires, sometimes AC's are not even figured in there, since many are optional. Plus food, water, clothing, chairs, BBQ, it adds up real fast.

Personally no matter what I am towing or with, I try to keep 10-15% below max ratings. When you are headed downhill with RV behind, and debris in the road takes out your trailer brake wires, it can get interesting real fast.

Downhills will be the biggest hurdle. That is why I went diesel, that exhaust brake makes a world of difference. I know you already have your truck, so did I, but I sold it and bought diesel. ZERO REGRETS!

Use the GVW numbers, and see how it stacks up then. Don't forget to up the hitch weight numbers when you do. Use the same percentage number as UVW does.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
B&W Patriot 5th wheel hitch
Bridgestone Duravis R250 tires

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:14 pm 

OR Model: RT310BHS
Member ID: ORF-9791
So since I just went through the pain of changing my TV, I will say know all the numbers before you buy!!!

GVWR
TV Weight on each Axle (loaded ready to camp) - Helps identify how much weight is unloaded off the steering axle
Gross Payload
Axel Rating
Hitch Rating (w/WD) conventional TT
Tire Ratings (LT or E load are best)
Trailer Weight (loaded ready to camp, dont worry about UVW youll just screw yourself using the small numbers)
Tongue Weight (add more for Battery, Propane (2-30# bottles weight 140lbs), & WD hitch weight)
Combinded GVW

It makes your head spin when start to break it all down.

I was pulling our 310BHS with a '16 F150 and it wasnt fun, it had the power to get it done but you would have to fight it way too much. My last trip with was the best of the 1200+ miles I pulled it.

2014 F350 Platinum/FX4 6.7L PSD 3:55
2017 OR RT310BHS (Every option but dual pane windows)
Pro-Pride 3P Hitch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:42 am 

Member ID: ORF-9990
Last year I towed my 272RLS with a 2014 Chev 1500. It would handle the load but bounced a lot on bridges and crossroads. Had enough sway to keep me at 65 or less and got about 9mpg. TV struggled with hills. Recently bought a 2017 Silverado with Duramax--wish I had done it sooner. Towing is effortless. No sway. Go any speed I want. Gas mileage is a little more but the truck isn't broken in all the way yet. Trying to tow rigs of this size with a 1/2 ton is just that--trying! Spend the money and get a proper tow vehicle. Makes life a lot easier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:09 pm 

OR Model: Light 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-12484
I had a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab with a 318 engine in it and my first camper was an in the bed camper which stuck out in the front and back. It was a monster. I have no idea what it weighed but the first time I put it on my truck the damn thing just about fell over. It was way too heavy to be on that truck but being as that I was young, dumb and stubborn I insisted that it needed to go on my truck. So I added the air ride bags to help the springs. I was amazed at how that thing leveled off at about 80 psi. It ended all the problems of sway and leveling. I couldn't believe it. But it still was a bit of a dog going up hills. I ended up selling that but kept the bags on the truck. I became a believer in those bags. It will help your suspension and ride tremendously.

So about 11 years ago I took that same truck and hooked up a 4 horse steel trailer to it's bumper and pulled 5 large horses up the east side of the sierra out of Lone Pine, CA. It was a very dramatic ascent. I easily had 8,000 lbs in just horses in the trailer, not to mention all the crap I had in the bed of the truck and the easily 10,000 pounds of trailer and the passengers in the cab. I was grossly overloaded. But I was still somewhat young and mostly dumb and we went. Took it all the way to the too and then shifted out of 1st into 2nd and the whole rear end blew out. I mean it had a large hole in the cover and there were medal pieces on the road and a huge oil stain that was visible on that road for many years later. $3000 later and a new rear end I was able to get the horses down and back home. Somewhat of a scary drive down. Shortly after that I bought my current truck.

I have grossly overloaded the current truck multiple times and haven't had any problems but that's not my point. My point is that those weight ratings exist for a reason and while you can get away with it you probably shouldn't. If you modify, such as with an air ride shock or something like that you can make it easier but you are still putting undue force on the other components. Your truck it only as strong as the weakest link in the chain. As I have gained a little more experience hauling stock trailers and RVs I strongly advise you to look for something much lighter than your TV is rated at pulling.

Think about this, if you have 8,000 lbs or trailer you can only bring 2,000 pounds of beer. Will that be enough?

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel (aka Big Blue)
B & W Turnover Ball in bed with a Bulldog BX1 Gooseneck Coupler

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:26 am 

OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-11388
TomandKathyD wrote:
Glad to help out. Put about 2000 miles on it before we started towing. Get 13-14 mpg towing, 29 highway. You'll love it. Only time I get to drive it is with the trailer attached or taking it to wash it. DW LOVES it. Might have to get another one for me.

Love my EcoDiesel too! After a few trips to the dealer, they managed to steal about 10% of my power and 25% of my fuel mileage through EPA mandated ECM "updates". Don't know if any of you EcoDiesel owners have fallen victim to these or not. If you haven't, DON'T LET THE DEALER UPDATE YOUR ECM!

If it's too late and they've already screwed up your engine, go here: http://www.greendieselengineering.com/Welcome.action

I purchased this programming for my truck. Best $800 I've ever spent on it. This is not a boy racer kind of deal. Even though it does give your truck a broader power band, what it really does is give you back the power and fuel mileage the dealer stole from you. Additionally, it changes the personality of your truck in improved drivability. The addition of an exhaust brake with this program is awesome and worth the price of the program if it did nothing else!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

2016 RAM 1500 Limited, 4X4, 5.5' box, EcoDiesel with air ride,
B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch with 4" ball extension.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:02 pm 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: LF297RLS
Member ID: ORF-5656
tmeach wrote:
We have a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with 5.7, tow package, 3.92 axle, integrated brake control...ect. Max tow rating is 10,160 for this truck. I know the Rams weak spot is carrying capacity so going to add air bags to help keep things level. We are looking at 2 different OR trailers the Ultra light 2910RL or the Light 272 RLS. The ultra light has a UVW of aprox 6500 lbs vs the 272 Light UVW of 7755 LBs. Tongue weight is within 15 lbs with the heavier unit at 830 and the ultra light at 813 lbs. I was planning on using a Reese dual cam hitch if we went with the ultra light and a Hensley or Pro Pride if we went with the Light 272. Wanted to get some opinions on these setups and how well the bigger unit would tow. We live in central AR and tow through the "mountains/ hills" between here and MO and plan to do some longer distances to FL out west etc. Obviously the smaller unit would be easier, but would the bigger unit be uncomfortable towing experience? Of course we like the bigger unit quality and layout better. Thanks

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 - same engine and same axle. I'm towing a LF292RLS Light 5er so different vehicle, but did add the Airlift 1000 airbags with the remote control onboard compressor and absolutely love it. It does a great job keeping the unit level. I use an Andersen Fifth Wheel hitch and everything adds up to a great tow/trailer package. If you're looking at a trailer, I might suggest the Andersen weight distribution/anti sway system. Their stuff is really cool and I'm sold on their innovation.
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/and ... hitch.aspx

Airlift 1000 airbags and WirelessOne onboard compressor