~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Towing a RF374BHS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: OR MODEL
Member ID: ORF-12382
Thanks for all the input, 4 of the dealers I have been to explained the gvwr of the trailer includes all the tanks full and a notional amount of equipment and gear....that's how they estimated the weight at 16k plus....calculating the tanks alone is 2200 lbs....empty tanks puts trailer and gear closer to the 14k mark.......we be living in the trailer for next 4 yrs until I retire from military so only need to move it from cite to cite based on city ordinances of 6 month in 2 weeks out......we live in Sunny Southern California so not to many hills to,worry about.....
When time come to leave CA we will most definitely look at upgrading to a Diesel 2500/3500.......

What I meant about towing 16k with a 3500 was actually meant to be towing with tanks all full.......maybe 1/2 tank fresh water but never black/gray....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:01 am 

OR Model: 297RLS
Member ID: ORF-10355
Rkleland wrote:
4 of the dealers I have been to explained the gvwr of the trailer includes all the tanks full and a notional amount of equipment and gear....that's how they estimated the weight at 16k plus....calculating the tanks alone is 2200 lbs....empty tanks puts trailer and gear closer to the 14k mark

https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/vehicle-weight.html
"GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) means the maximum allowable weight of the fully loaded vehicle, including liquids, passengers, cargo"

I see where the dealers are going here, but I still don't believe the RV manufacturers figure Full Tanks into the GVRW figures.
The GVWR of the trailer is a function of the axles rated capacity, along with expected pin weight.

After loading the 374BHS with gear, food, clothes, etc. I would guess most owners will be closer to 16K than 14K even with empty tanks.
No way to know for sure however until it's loaded and the RV weighed attached to the truck, and the truck weighed separately so pin weight can be calculated.
Because of this the best practice is to use the GVWR of the trailer, and the makers rating for pin weight plus 20% for loading to get an idea of whether the tow vehicle is suitable for the trailer.

Good luck with your purchase of this model or whatever you end up choosing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 pm 

.? Trailer specks show hitch weight and I know my payload, ? Is is pin weight same as hitch weight?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:29 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0621
Rkleland wrote:
.? Trailer specks show hitch weight and I know my payload, ? Is is pin weight same as hitch weight?

Lets clarify. Brochure list dry weights that are notoriously inaccurate because it does not include any options or accessories. The brochure weights are based on a fictional stripped model trailer.
The sticker on the trailer is accurate and gives the shipping weight of the trailer as it leaves the factory.
The sticker weight will be more than the brochure weight. The sticker does not give the pin weight.
Pin weight relates to payload and is the amount of weight that transfers to the truck.
The truck has to carry the pin weight vs. pulling the GVW of the trailer

RV760,PIsurge,GSR Steps,Titan Disc,Sailun
14'Porta Bote w/8.0hp,Splendide,RVLock

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:56 pm 

OR Model: 374BHS
Member ID: ORF-13379
Rkleland wrote:
Thanks for all the input, 4 of the dealers I have been to explained the gvwr of the trailer includes all the tanks full and a notional amount of equipment and gear....that's how they estimated the weight at 16k plus....calculating the tanks alone is 2200 lbs....empty tanks puts trailer and gear closer to the 14k mark...

Hello!

I see this Thread is from April. I also have a 2016 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab and am about to pick up a RF374BHS 5th wheel. I was wondering if you picked up your camper and have any feedback on how it tows and checked weight?

Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:19 pm 

Have not picked it up, were still debating on what model....is your 2500 gas or Diesel?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 pm 

Rkleland wrote:
Have not picked it up, were still debating on what model....is your 2500 gas or Diesel?

2500 Gas. I think we have the same truck (2016 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab WT 4x4). The dealer I'm working with is going to weight the trailer when they get it to make sure we don't exceed my payload rating. It's going to be close. If there's a weight problem I'll need to add leaf springs and higher load range tires. They have a service that re-certifies the truck payload rating. I'm also checking with my local Chevy dealer on upgrading to a 3500 but there are very few new ones out there in my area. I'll upgrade to Diesel someday!

The truck & gas engine are rated to tow the trailer (assuming payload is fine). Check out this video, climbing a 7% grade in Colorado with a gas Chevy 2500 & 13,500lb trailer.
TFLTruck 2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 Takes on the Super Ike Gauntlet World's Toughest Towing Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IssetxE5FU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:29 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-7680
I wonder what MPG he was getting towing the weight at 5k rpm?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 pm 

lol! They cover that in the video, I think it was 2.8mpg something up the mountain side. I'm hoping normal road conditions yields 8mpg.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:59 pm 

I'll keep my diesel : )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:35 pm 

I'd love to swasp up for a diesel but truck is 1 yr old.... all numbers point to being close but within recommendations for weights..... 3500D will be in the future but can't ATM...please keep us posted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:59 pm 

Member ID: ORF-12740
I've played the barely enough truck game for a year and I'll never do it again. Punching it to gain speed down a steep grade so you can gain enough speed to make it back up the hill sucks. Being pushed around by the wind and semi trucks sucks. Feeling the truck struggle into a headwind for miles with your foot damn near to the floor also sucks. All these things take the fun right out of the whole experience of RVing. If it's a stressful white knuckle event just to start the adventure your doing yourself no favors. Being frazzled in traffic and praying for smooth flat roads wears you out mentally and physically.
One trip in a one ton diesel dually truck pulling my trailer made me gasp at the difference. I had no idea there could be that much difference going up another 1/4 ton bigger, having diesel h.p. and torque, and two more wheels. I pull my 5er around like it doesn't exist, just set the cruise and enjoy the ride. See a huge hill up ahead, no problem, truck doesn't break a sweat. Some idiot pulls out in front of me and the massive truck with massive brakes, a well balanced brake controller, and engine braking make stopping child's play. Semi trucks and wind don't phase the rig or trailer at all.
I know not everyone wants a one ton diesel dually, but if your going to pull something that big and that heavy, why settle for barely being able too? My family and all your families safety were worth me realizing that towing a trailer with a rig on the fringe of its capability wasn't a risk I wanted to take.
Heck, the only reason I didn't get an F450 was I couldn't find one I could afford. You can never have too much truck, but you can damn sure regret not having enough when it's needed. :cfire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:02 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0621
Screwby wrote:
I've played the barely enough truck game for a year and I'll never do it again. Punching it to gain speed down a steep grade so you can gain enough speed to make it back up the hill sucks. Being pushed around by the wind and semi trucks sucks. Feeling the truck struggle into a headwind for miles with your foot damn near to the floor also sucks. All these things take the fun right out of the whole experience of RVing. If it's a stressful white knuckle event just to start the adventure your doing yourself no favors. Being frazzled in traffic and praying for smooth flat roads wears you out mentally and physically.
One trip in a one ton diesel dually truck pulling my trailer made me gasp at the difference. I had no idea there could be that much difference going up another 1/4 ton bigger, having diesel h.p. and torque, and two more wheels. I pull my 5er around like it doesn't exist, just set the cruise and enjoy the ride. See a huge hill up ahead, no problem, truck doesn't break a sweat. Some idiot pulls out in front of me and the massive truck with massive brakes, a well balanced brake controller, and engine braking make stopping child's play. Semi trucks and wind don't phase the rig or trailer at all.
I know not everyone wants a one ton diesel dually, but if your going to pull something that big and that heavy, why settle for barely being able too? My family and all your families safety were worth me realizing that towing a trailer with a rig on the fringe of its capability wasn't a risk I wanted to take.
Heck, the only reason I didn't get an F450 was I couldn't find one I could afford. You can never have too much truck, but you can damn sure regret not having enough when it's needed. :cfire

Amen,
Often we end up with the wrong truck because the buying decision is not based solely on what is needed to tow a big trailer.
Will it fit in the garage? I need to use truck to commute with. Dually is not stylish enough. I just bought my current truck which I know is not capable.
Why all those reasons maybe legit, they are no substitute or excuse for towing with the wrong truck.
Having a properly matched combo makes all the difference in the world when it comes to having a relaxing/enjoyable RV towing experience.

RV760,PIsurge,GSR Steps,Titan Disc,Sailun
14'Porta Bote w/8.0hp,Splendide,RVLock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 am 

Member ID: ORF-12740
Dually is not stylish enough.

Hey now, my truck is sexy.... :Helo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 am 

The RV experts say 40% of the RV'ers out there either are at maximum load or are over the capabilities of their truck. Dealers will tell you "oh sure your truck will pull it"
Yeah maybe in Florida and going down hill. The real question is can you stop her.
I was lucky when I bought our RV, we started out to buy a pop-up trailer, then we started looking at full size trailers, then we started looking at 5th wheels. We decide to wait until we bought a trailer and then go out and buy a truck that had enough power to pull what we bought.
The experts also say 1st time buyers will most likely upgrade to a bigger trailer in 2 years. Now you have to get a bigger truck because you bought a truck that was just barely big enough to pull your little trailer.
My friend bought a Casita, I think the total weight on that trailer is like 3500lbs wet. He went out and bought a new 2500 Ram Diesel to pull it.
When he gets ready to upgrade to a bigger trailer and will have enough truck to pull it too.

Last edited by earlelaineb on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:17 am 

OR Model: RF374BHS
Member ID: ORF-12314
We had a 37' bumper pull that weighed out at 7600#. Only about 75% of the rated capacity of the Ram 1500 I was using to pull it. We had no problems towing the trailer around, until we took the family to Disney world. We made a long camping trip out of it, taking 3 days to get from Michigan to Florida. About 20 minutes outside the campground in Georgia I had a semi pass me doing about 20 MPH faster than I was going. I nearly got sucked into the side of the semi because the 1500's suspension was so soft. After a couple of heart attacks and some soul (internet) searching, I drove home from Florida in a 1 ton dually. It was definitely worth the upgrade for the stability when pulling the trailer.

Of course, as it always happens, you get a bigger truck to tow your rig safer so you now have to get a bigger trailer. Luckily, I planned for the DW's upgrade and I can pull 32,000# with the truck. I have to admit, when I hook up the 374BHS to the truck, the size is intimidating. But going down the road I don't even feel the trailer. I drove for many years with the 1500 and never ran into an issue. All it takes is 1 time to start you thinking.

And, yes... the dually does make my butt look fat... :lol3

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.