~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:13 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: JT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-13498
I am in the process of purchasing a 2011 Open Range JT340FL with the Patio Option and I can't seem to get a straight answer. I am planning to tow this with a 2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 with a towing Capacity of 10500. Everywhere I look online the dry weight of this trailer (without optional patio) appears to be 8860 lbs, with a fully loaded weight GVWR of 11670 Lbs (I do not intend to be traveling a full weight). I spoke with the dealer this evening (I am supposed to pick this trailer up Friday) and they say that the plate near the door indicates a dry weight of 9350 lbs (I am estimating what he said). I am concerned whether or not I can tow this safely? I will be towing it with a weight distribution bar with max 1500 TW (TW is 1250) and a max tow weight of 15000 lbs. Can anyone forum member weigh in on this issue and give me some advice?

Thanks in advance,
Manny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:24 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 340FLR
Member ID: ORF-5338
You won't be a happy camper with that TV.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:05 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 323RLS
Member ID: ORF-9291
Awesome trailer but your right on the edge of what your Avalanche 2500 can safely tow. I'm assuming you have the 3.73 Axle. Even if you have a 4.10 Axle you can't buy a Class V hitch or other heavy duty towing equipment for a 2002 Avalanche 2500. That in itself should tell you the limits of your tow vehicle. You just can't get the comfortable margin of safety you need to tow a 36' long, 12' tall, 10,000 lb trailer with a realistic hitch weight of 1,300 lbs.

The problems to be concerned about is tongue weight, stopping and trailer sway while towing. If your going to tow the trailer for very short trips and staying under 55MPH your truck can "reposition" the trailer. For longer trips and Interstate speeds you will be an accident waiting to happen. A trailer tire failure could cause a much more serious situation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:51 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
I would worry over the transmission. Hopefully the cooler will keep temperature in check.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-2242
I just posted some more info on your other question, The JT 340 is a big heavy TT and other owners have had issues towing it safely without stepping up to a 350/3500

USN Retired 1971-1996

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:37 am 

zolman wrote:
Awesome trailer but your right on the edge of what your Avalanche 2500 can safely tow. I'm assuming you have the 3.73 Axle. Even if you have a 4.10 Axle you can't buy a Class V hitch or other heavy duty towing equipment for a 2002 Avalanche 2500. That in itself should tell you the limits of your tow vehicle. You just can't get the comfortable margin of safety you need to tow a 36' long, 12' tall, 10,000 lb trailer with a realistic hitch weight of 1,300 lbs.

The problems to be concerned about is tongue weight, stopping and trailer sway while towing. If your going to tow the trailer for very short trips and staying under 55MPH your truck can "reposition" the trailer. For longer trips and Interstate speeds you will be an accident waiting to happen. A trailer tire failure could cause a much more serious situation.

Wow, sounds like I should squash the deal even tough we love the TT, so this is disappointing. This does not sound like I should do it. I knew that I need stabilizer bars and I planned on putting some on, I also have the P3 for stopping control, so I figure I had all the bases covered. What do you think is the weight should I be looking for that I could safely tow with this vehicle? Can't afford to do a 350/3500.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:43 am 

Jimc3165 wrote:
I just posted some more info on your other question, The JT 340 is a big heavy TT and other owners have had issues towing it safely without stepping up to a 350/3500

Thanks for your comments, where did you post the information?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:46 am 

COTHAMM wrote:
I would worry over the transmission. Hopefully the cooler will keep temperature in check.

Well based on the information I am getting on this forum, I will probably squash the deal. I was supposed to pick it up this Friday but we are going to go up to the dealer today and talk to them about it. Thanks for your input

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 am 

Member ID: ORF-1880
I have pulled our 340 well over 10,000 miles with my 2500HD Silverado.
The dry weight of the trailer is roughly 9400 with the 2nd AC unit. With all our stuff in it and loaded for a long vacation ours scaled a little over 10,000 lbs.
You will need an "active" type sway control hitch like an equalizer or a reese dual cam (there are others) ideally a Hensley style would be best.
I think the 2500 Av is up to pulling the trailer, the issue with this trailer is side forces and wind. It is a long, tall trailer and is sensitive to cross winds. If your hitch is set up correctly they are manageable. I towed mine up through Indiana in March 2015 with 40 MPH winds, it was a handful and I did slow down but it was manageable.
You Av is a slightly shorter wheelbase than my crew cab truck and that will have some bearing on stability, when the trailer is longer than the tow vehicle it creates a mechanical advantage for the trailer.
If your Av still has the stock class 3 hitch you will want to upgrade it. They are weak and will twist with a heavy trailer. I put a class 5 on mine before I got the 340 and it makes a big difference in the hitches ability to keep the trailer level. It also has frame mounts further forward and will spread the forces more evenly on the frame of the Av.
With this setup a lot will depend on your experiences and comfort level in towing. Frankly I don't have any issues with mine but a lot of people shy away from a long bumper pull because they just aren't comfortable with them.

Hope that helps, safe travels

2005 2500 HD Silverado LLY Duramax (with a few tweaks)

Scott and Patti with Penny the Boxer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am 

bigdisneydaddy wrote:
The dry weight of the trailer is roughly 9400 with the 2nd AC unit. With all our stuff in it and loaded for a long vacation ours scaled a little over 10,000 lbs.
You will need an "active" type sway control hitch like an equalizer or a reese dual cam (there are others) ideally a Hensley style would be best.
I think the 2500 Av is up to pulling the trailer, the issue with this trailer is side forces and wind. It is a long, tall trailer and is sensitive to cross winds. If your hitch is set up correctly they are manageable. I towed mine up through Indiana in March 2015 with 40 MPH winds, it was a handful and I did slow down but it was manageable.
You Av is a slightly shorter wheelbase than my crew cab truck and that will have some bearing on stability, when the trailer is longer than the tow vehicle it creates a mechanical advantage for the trailer.
If your Av still has the stock class 3 hitch you will want to upgrade it. They are weak and will twist with a heavy trailer. I put a class 5 on mine before I got the 340 and it makes a big difference in the hitches ability to keep the trailer level. It also has frame mounts further forward and will spread the forces more evenly on the frame of the Av.
With this setup a lot will depend on your experiences and comfort level in towing. Frankly I don't have any issues with mine but a lot of people shy away from a long bumper pull because they just aren't comfortable with them.

I greatly appreciate you input so Thank you very much, problem with the hitch is that I do not have the time between now and Friday to upgrade it. I will after I get the TT home. We are not intending in traveling
west through the mountains or anything like that but doing some local trips initially and spread out from there. Maybe some day I will be able to upgrade to a 3500.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 am 

Member ID: ORF-1880
I did look on E-trailer and they list a class IV for the AV. 1200 tongue/12,000 total.

2005 2500 HD Silverado LLY Duramax (with a few tweaks)

Scott and Patti with Penny the Boxer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 am 

bigdisneydaddy wrote:
I did look on E-trailer and they list a class IV for the AV. 1200 tongue/12,000 total.

Thanks, I'm going to check into it once I get it home. Hopefully all will go well as it is about 1 hour from me. I got the WD bar with Sway control bars going to be installed by the dealer.

Manny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 323RLS
Member ID: ORF-9291
bigdisneydaddy wrote:

Yes a 2500 Silverado or any other 2500 real truck with aftermarket addons could safely pull it, but not a 2500 Avalanche. It's not set up like an actual truck. The heaviest duty aftermarket hitch that is available for it is a class 4. And your point is well made that the OEM GM hitches have twisted under heavy stress. I've seen it happen. They do not make a class 5 aftermarket hitch for a 2002 Avalanche.

If it was me and your serious about camping I'd buy the trailer, it's an awesome setup. Trade the Avalanche for a 2500 truck, add a 2 1/2" class 5 hitch, get Reese dual cam weight distribution system and put your Tekonsha Brake Controller on it.

If you can't get yourself to trade the Avalanche look at the LT2710RL or the LT272RLS. Your Avalanche can handle those trailers. But still get a aftermarket hitch and weight distribution system.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:51 am 

zolman wrote:
bigdisneydaddy wrote:

Yes a 2500 Silverado or any other 2500 real truck with aftermarket addons could safely pull it, but not a 2500 Avalanche. It's not set up like an actual truck. The heaviest duty aftermarket hitch that is available for it is a class 4. And your point is well made that the OEM GM hitches have twisted under heavy stress. I've seen it happen. They do not make a class 5 aftermarket hitch for a 2002 Avalanche.

If it was me and your serious about camping I'd buy the trailer, it's an awesome setup. Trade the Avalanche for a 2500 truck, add a 2 1/2" class 5 hitch, get Reese dual cam weight distribution system and put your Tekonsha Brake Controller on it.

If you can't get yourself to trade the Avalanche look at the LT2710RL or the LT272RLS. Your Avalanche can handle those trailers. But still get a aftermarket hitch and weight distribution system.

Thanks for your input, I would trade the Avy if I could but financially I can't at least right now. Maybe next year but for now I will have to deal with it. Hopefully between the Class 4 hitch, Weight Distribution the Sway Control, and the Tekonsha P3, we will be alright for some short local runs within the Delmarva area.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 am 

OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-2242
74shark wrote:
Jimc3165 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20366

USN Retired 1971-1996

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 am 

Jimc3165 wrote:
74shark wrote:
Jimc3165 wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20366

Thanks, got it