~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318RLS
Member ID: ORF-nnnn
My wife and I just purchased our first RV, a 2017 OR light 318RLS. The unit is equipped with a King Combo pin box so it can be towed as a fifth wheel or a gooseneck. We will be towing with a 2017 RAM 2500, CC, 6'4" bed, turbo diesel that I am having a B&W turn ball hitch installed into. I am now considering the option of using the Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch with this set up vs going with a gooseneck coupler, something like the Bulldog BX1, the Pop up CC2 or even the Andersen coupler. One of the things I like about the Andersen, either the 5th wheel hitch or the coupler is that they require no grease. I was hoping to get some input on the pros and cons of going with either of these options. Are there any advantages or draw backs to using one vs the other? Does one tow any better than the other? Based on other posts that I have read here, it looks like I should have enough clearance even with the short bed, do you agree?

Any input you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 318RLS
Member ID: ORF-4198
We’ve used the Andersen hitch for two years (16,000 miles) and love it...and have talked three others (2 OR, 1 Cougar) into buying them. It is lightweight, my wife puts it in and removes it between trips, tracks tight, and has eliminated any banging noises on the road as we had with our old hitch. You can connect or disconnect even if the truck or trailer are at an angle. No lubrication. Lining up takes more care, but we have marks on the block to help and soon became proficient.

Disadvantages... You have to jack the RV up higher to connect/disconnect, which really is minor. Also, the arrangement is just different enough that you need to talk to your service center when dropping the RV off for maintenance. Most are prepared but when they aren’t, I leave the hitch with the RV.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:28 pm 

OR Model: Light 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-12484
Hi Gary,
I’m sure you are aware that the hitch converts easily to gooseneck. I posted on your welcome page a link to this. But here is what I have. I don’t have to take anything in or out of my bed. I also use the turnover ball. I considered an Anderson myself but decided this was the way it would work best for me. I’m only in it $100 or so for this hitch connection and it all stays permanently mounted to my trailer. I’m not saying Anderson is bad or that you should go with what I bought but I believe this is what was right for me. It allows independent articulation between the truck and trailer and I don’t have to mess with anything when I switch between the RV and a stock/horse trailer. For me that was important.

I did get the higher ball for the pickup from B&W which gave me a bit more clearance between the rails and the trailer. I’m pretty sure I have enough clearance now.

If you don’t like the gooseneck you can always switch back to the Anderson. Or you could get the companion hitch specifically designed to work with the turnover ball hitch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel (aka Big Blue)
B & W Turnover Ball in bed with a Bulldog BX1 Gooseneck Coupler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 pm 

OR Year: 2018
OR Model: MF348RLS
Member ID: ORF-9099
I had a Light 297RLS with a Bulldog gooseneck coupler and it worked perfect for me. All the other ranch trailers are gooseneck, so I didn't have to change anything in the truck to pull different trailers. Having more available bed space while towing is a must have for me and getting use of the whole bed by just moving the ball is a nice thing. The only problem I had was a little chucking the first time I pulled the trailer, but that went away when I tightened the set screw (bolt) on the back of the hitch column. The King Combo hitch is great because of it's versatility, loosen a set screw, pull a pin and you can change from gooseneck to 5th wheel if need be. My 297RLS was destroyed in a tornado, thankfully we were not in it at the time and we had good insurance. We now have a Mesa Ridge 348RLS with a Reese Goosebox. I've only pulled it a few hundred miles, but I'm gaining new appreciation for shock absorbing hitches. Either way, I'm a big fan of gooseneck hitches.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 am 

OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Thought about the Anderson setup. But wife rejected it. She does the back in, hitching. Has fond memories of aligning our old TT with the ball. Tempers.....

Loves the current std hitch. Have one of those rear window viewer. Puts pin in perfect every time. Bragging rights for her.

Says “no mo balls”!

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-3714
Gary, I have the Andersen in the bed of my truck for my Roamer 337. While it does remove quickly and easily, it takes up a lot of room. My brother has the Light 319 with Gooseneck and Bulldog set up. Tows great and like Pat said, leaves the bed uncluttered. I would take advantage of your gooseneck ability as it is simple, low cost and safe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm 

OR Model: LF318RLS
Member ID: ORF-nnnn
Hi Everyone, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, as I am new to this it is greatly appreciated. After a lot of consideration I have had the B&W turnball under bed hitch installed and will be towing with a goose neck coupler from Andersen. We pick up the rig this Friday morning and see how it goes.

Thanks again,
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm 

OR Year: 2016
OR Model: 319RLS
Member ID: ORF-7680
It seems the main reason the difference between the 5th wheel and the goose neck is that the goose neck takes up little space in your truck bed leaving more room to hauls stuff when not hitched up.
Goose necks are required to have safety chains in some states.
I wished the 5th wheel hitches were made out of lighter material to make it easier to replace & install on a moment notice. At lease I don't have to move furniture for my friends with the 5th wheel hitch : )

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.