~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: I ordered this tank
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
I ordered this tank today https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NRWVCX for my truck. I didn't want or need 50 gallon main tank replacement, nor did I want to take up bed space all the time. The layout isn't ideal, but I will mount it with the fill cap on the drivers side, and plum the hose and valve to the drivers side. Most likely will replace the brass fittings with stainless steel and use stainless steel tubing to take it to the other end of the tank, so I can easily reach it.

I think this will fill the bill nicely for my purposes. I plan on rigging it as is at first, then I will connect it to the main tank with a pump and filter. I might go gravity and filter like the Goldenrod https://www.jmesales.com/goldenrod-495- ... gI0RPD_BwE. I will just need to mount it high enough to allow the filter to sit upright for proper water filtering.

Question, if I mount the tank to the bed directly, and stand the filter upright at one end of the tank, it would still gravity flow till the tank emptied, correct? The filter and plumbing would cause an upside down U beside the tank, but the nozzle would still be lower than the aux tank.

I will be looking into a easily detachable (unbolting) system for the tank. It only weighs 30lbs empty, so it should be manageable, more so than a 5 gallon can of diesel.

Suggestions? Comments?

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
B&W Patriot 5th wheel hitch

Post subject: Re: I ordered this tank
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-3628
The filter needs a 24 inch(2 ft) head for gravity flow. That means the fuel level must be at least 2 ft above the filter.
The inverted U is a siphon that needs to remain full in order for fuel to flow and the upstream end must always be below the fuel level.
For gravity flow to work, the tank needs to be higher than anything else in the plumbing starting with the tank 2 ft above the filter. And the filter fed from the bottom of the tank to let most of the fuel flow out of the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 pm 

Well I won't be mounting the filter under the truck, so I will go another route. Maybe just a clear inline filter for residue, and a solenoid , and let the engine filter do the rest.
When I read the specs on the filter, I understood the stated flow rate was based on 24" head, but not to actually flow.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:55 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
I have a RDS 45 gal aux tank. Was able to tap into drain port, driver side.

I installed a Parker watervsep/filter, with 1/4" NPT ports. Also installed a solenoid valve. Put in strange valvesvtonenabl bypass of SOV should it fail. My SOV is 12vdc, with a rather large 3/8 orifice.

I mounted the filer inside the driver side fender, and at lowest point. Reason is to serve as lowest point so any water will seek low drain point. Filer has a manual drain on clear bowl. Also has extra port to install water detector sensor. I don't have one. Rather I drain the filter bowl often, collect fuel in clear container to inspect it for contamination. So far have never seen evidence of water. Guess have a good tight system.

I installed RDS filler neck/hose connector kit. It comes with 5/16 hoses. I elected to go with 3/8 hose for better flow, and gravity feed. Used fuel injector hose, as any kind of hose used in diesel fuel not ideal. Chose only hose material suitable for diesel fuel. Fuel injector hose is good choice.

As for flow, when tank above, say 20% level, good flow. Once it gets low, flow slows down. My filter has flow rate 20 gph. Not best but does the job for me. Sometimes I open the SOV, for 40-45 minutes, let it fill main tank. As I said, doing transfer whilevtowing, do see the truck fuel gauge creep up when aux tank above say 50% level. Below that, I don't xpectnto see truck fuel gauge creep up. But know fuel is being transferred, burning that fuel while driving.

Did have a fuel,pump once but removed it. Got complicated for my system design. My design is for clean, water free fuel transfers.

Good luck.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 pm 

Member ID: ORF-0841
We had a 50 gallon Transfer-Flow auxiliary tank/tool kit on the GMC diesel we had destroyed near Puebla, Mexico four years ago. We liked it so well that we had one installed on our 2006 Chevie dualie diesel. This gives us 85 gallons to head down the road. We can get 10 to 13 mpg depending on road conditions (over 11,000' passes in Colorado and heavy head winds do change fuel use) so we don't usually look for fuel at less than 600 miles down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 pm 

Yea I don't want a filter outside the frame, because of side impact, in case of an accident. That would break the filter housing and pour raw fuel on the ground. Not ideal in an accident, diesel or not. Yes there would be a solenoid in the line but it's not worth the risk for me. Same reason I am not a fan of a lift pump hanging below the frame.

I get the low point thing, but to my thinking it doesn't matter, since the fuel will flow through the filter and the filter has a built in low point, where the water is supposed to collect.

Personally I would be more worried about debris than water. Neither is good, but if the aux tank ever did rust inside, I do not want it getting into the main system.

Reed, I didn't want that big of a tank. For one, this is a 2500 truck, so I don't want fuel taking up too much of my allowable, legal, payload. That's about 500lbs extra in the bed, with 400 of fuel and about 100 for the tank. More than I want or need. A 15-20 gallon tank was what I was after the whole time.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 pm 

Member ID: ORF-0841
Handrifle

We have a 3500 dualie and we weigh before every major trip. We load the truck with full 85 gallons of fuel, two extra propane tanks, and two 6 gallon water containers and weigh it by itself. We then load 337RLS with full water and propane since we generally are boondocking and are never sure of water being available, and then weigh the rig. We are 500#below rear axle rating,fairly close to front axle rating, and well below axle/tire rating of 337RLS and kingpin/hitch. We do have 9 kW-hrs in LFP bank. We would be close to rear axle/frame for pickup and frame rating for 337 RLS if we had lead-acid battery suite (which would be 800 to 900#).

I would think a 15-20 gallon tank should suffice. You might consider an under the rear bed of axle auxiliary tank. There are a number of outfits that produce these. We have been quite satisfied with durability of Transfer-Flow after 8 years.
Reed and Elaine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:18 am 

If you mean spare tire tanks, I would rather have my spare. The tire would end up in the bed anyway. My 2500 is near max payload when we dry camp. The 337 is a nose heavy rig.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 am 

Reed, I was just re-reading your last post. We have a solar system on our house. Just added this summer. It also has the Tesla Powerwall 2, with 13.5KW of storage. With 9kw you no doubt can run everything. We do not boondock enough to justify that cost. I suppose if there was a major grid failure I might feel differently, but then I would stay home, because although I am hooked to the grid, it is not needed.

With the Powerwall, the only things that do not run are the AC (40 amp circuit) and our double ovens (also 40 amp), since there is a single breaker limit of 30 amp, for a single Powerwall. I could add a second one and combine the 40 amp circuits. For those that do not know, there is a DC Powerwall and an AC one. The AC one (which we have) has it's own built in inverter, in addition to the inverter that back feeds the grid.

We run off solar during the day and battery at night. Even our submersible well pump and booster pumps are on this system. Since we live rural and have sometimes frequent power outages, I wanted water when the grid goes down.

So far has worked perfectly. In reality our system is probably very similar to what you have on your OR. We have a bit more solar, with 15-300w panels, for a total of 4.5KW. So far on sunny days, it will recharge the battery from it's lowest (sometimes around 25% if the well has run) in about 4-5hrs.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:12 pm 

Trying to get this tank installed. I want it fairly easy to remove, and that ups the install difficulty considerably. To accomplish this I have welded some 3/8 nuts to fender washers. I then bolted a 1 1/4 x 1/4" flat bar to the mount holes on the tank. The flat bar stick out a couple inches either end. I drilled holes in theses ends and am in the process of mounting the washer/nut combo. To do this I run the nut/washer in from underneath. Tighten them up to the bed, and then drill (2) 1/8" holes through the bed and washer. I then put long rivets through and tighten them up. That leaves the nut in place when I remove the bolt from above and lift the tank.

Still waiting on the solenoid valve.

I bought a piece of 2" exhaust pipe and drilled and threaded in a 1/4" pipe street el. I then put JB Weld all around to seal it. This will be my fill tube adapter. I will weld a bead around the pipe at each end to act as a stop for the hose clamps.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:11 pm 

Tank is installed as a gravity feed system. I used a solenoid controlled by a lighted switch on the dash. Used it on our first trip yesterday from Central Coast CA to Las Vegas, and in a few days up to Lake Powell (Page Az).

Yesterdays leg was 420 miles, and I stopped once for a potty break, and later for lunch in Barstow. Normally we would stop in Tehachapi Ca for fuel since I would be at 1/4 tank and fuel stations quite a bit more sparse. Blew right by there yesterday, and refueled in Barstow (270 miles) but only because I didn't want to stop again until Las Vegas. I still had 1/2 tank left when I stopped in Barstow. So I filled up the now empty auxiliary tank and topped off the main tank.

Upon arriving in Las Vegas, I checked mileage, and averaged 12.9 mpg. Vast majority of time speed was 60-65. Pulled Baker grade at 60+.

When we arrived here, I dumped the aux tank into the main (was only on 1/2) so I don't have to worry about fuel for this stay. Will top off the nite before we leave. I did notice that when towing it APPEARS to dump slower, but I know that isn't the case. The truck is consuming quite a bit as it is refilling so the gauge move up REAL slow. For that reason only I MIGHT add a small pump. Just a feel good thing.

My one complaint about this tank is the fill neck is too short. No problem filling it, but the vented cap will allow fuel to leak out when the tank is full. I modified my cap and stopped that but it shouldn't have to be.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:12 pm 

OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-3628
Nice to hear that it is working.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:52 pm 

OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-3771
You've got some skills, handi. Nice read. Well done.

Pullrite Superglide 18K
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 pm 

BCM, thanks for the compliment. My wife likes to call me Mc Giver ;-) I try!

Now that I know how to upload pics here. Here's the tank in the bed.

Attachment:
Aux tank1.jpg

On the left is a steel cover I fab'd to cover the ball valve and solenoid. On top left you can see the fill tube and cap. Very short, too short. I didn't think of that when I bought it. I am pondering ideas to raise the cap about 2". The gears are turning.

This is the "T" I made to fill the main tank from the aux tank.

Attachment:
Aux tank2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box