~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:05 am 
Forum Host

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 345RLS-Sold
Member ID: ORF-0003
rgrimm

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 14:41:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being new to both RVing (TT) and now a Diesel truck, a new bridge for me to cross is refueling on a trip with a 36’ TT behind me. Well when I bought my 2010 F250 (PSD) I figured my concerns about maneuvering in gas stations would be eliminated since I could now use the Truck lanes at truck stops. Then I was educated that most of those use a larger (hi-flo) nozzle and at that point assumed that would rule their use out for me. I did some research and got the impression that perhaps later model F250/F350 may have moved to fuel tank fillers that accept the truck stop larger diesel nozzles.

So my question to those of you pulling with diesels (in particular Fords – F250/F350s) do your Trucks accept the larger Nozzles and do you use the Truck Stop Truck lanes to refuel?

Have any of you added an auxiliary trank? If so, what brand?

At this point the first 2 trips we have taken with our JT337RLS have been one Tank destinations, but in October we are heading to Stone Mountain in GA and that trip will require a few fuel stops.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Russ and Arlene
(Yulee, FL)
2010 Journeyer JT337RLS
2010 Ford F250 PSD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Admin

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0001
openrangervowners

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 15:12:36

I have never had a problem with the truck stop diesel nozzles. Be prepared to pump slower and listen for the tank to get full so you don't overflow and spill diesel.

2010 Open Range 399 BHS
2005 Chevy 3500 LB CC 6.6L
Reese Signature Series 18K hitch

Our family loves to camp!

2010 Open Range 399 BHS (with a few mods)
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 CC Duramax/Allison (with a few mods)
Our family loves to camp!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:06 am 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 3X 378 RLS
Member ID: ORF-0099
rclvnv

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 15:19:38

On cross country trip last year with my new F-250 PSD, I tried to find Places like Flying J, with dedicated RV lanes, or failing that, places with lots of manuvering space around the diesel pumps. I encountered other truck stops, where the nozzles weren't the issue, but rather the fact that the pumps were "dual fill", meaning, I found out that both nozzles have to be utilized, and that means lying the one not being used on the ground. Not being comfortable with that, I tried to avoid it, but couldn't always. Don't recall the nozzle fit being a problem,though.Last years trip was towing a 23"TT, now have a 345 RLS 5er, a lot more length and height, so I guess I'll be even more partial to places listed in "Next Exit", shown to be RV friendly. Going from NV to Fla, this summer. An issue to deal with, for sure.

Richard

Richard & Ginny,2 mini schnauzers;Buster & Henry,2010 Ford F-250 PSD,2011O.R.345 RLS "Not All Who Wander Are Lost".

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: JF335BHS
Member ID: ORF-0013
sandyhillbill

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 15:46:54

Most truck stops do have a dedicated RV diesel pump. In most cases it is closest to the building
and has the smaller nozzle. I think Ford got away from the small filler tube in 2000 models
therefore you should be ok.

2009 JF335BHS
2002 F250 7.3 PSD CC Lariat
West Monroe,Louisiana

09 Open Range JF335BHS ser # 750
Furrion RV cam / TST-TPMS
02 F250 7.3 PSD CC SB XLT Lariat

Forum Host

rgrimm

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 15:51:40

It was my brother who has a Class A Diesel Pusher that mention to me that the Truck lane pumps had the bigger - High-Flow nozzles and I guess he assumed (and me too) that my Truck would only accept the typical 15/16" nozzle. When I looked in my filler neck there is NO restrictor inside and looks that it would accept at least a 1 1/2 inch nozzle. My brother also mentioned the 'Dual Fill' for the Truckers with saddle tanks on both sides. I just didn't think you HAD to use both nozzles. I thought that there was a Primary nozzle and a secondary nozzle and if you were using only one nozzle you just had to use the Primary.

All this being new to me and being one who at least Attempts to be somewhat prepared the refueling is one of the areas I have been thinking about before I actually hit the road on my fist trip that I know will require refueling.

So let me add to my initial questions and ask everyone if they have a preferred Truck Stop (Flying J, Pilot, T/A, Loves, etc) and why?

And I do have a 'Next Exit' book to help me plain my fueling stops

Russ and Arlene
(Yulee, FL)
2010 Journeyer JT337RLS
2010 Ford F250 PSD

Red Gate RV Park
Savannah, GA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:07 am 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: JF335BHS
Member ID: ORF-0013
sandyhillbill

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 16:18:08

[quote]Originally posted by rgrimm

It was my brother who has a Class A Diesel Pusher that mention to me that the Truck lane pumps had the bigger - High-Flow nozzles and I guess he assumed (and me too) that my Truck would only accept the typical 15/16" nozzle. When I looked in my filler neck there is NO restrictor inside and looks that it would accept at least a 1 1/2 inch nozzle. My brother also mentioned the 'Dual Fill' for the Truckers with saddle tanks on both sides. I just didn't think you HAD to use both nozzles. I thought that there was a Primary nozzle and a secondary nozzle and if you were using only one nozzle you just had to use the Primary.

you are correct on the primary and secondary hoses. Just be sure the primary is on the correct side and you will have no problem. I have seen people that could not get into the lane with the primary on the correct side and that is when you see the primary on the ground while they use the secondary.

2009 JF335BHS
2002 F250 7.3 PSD CC Lariat
West Monroe,Louisiana

09 Open Range JF335BHS ser # 750
Furrion RV cam / TST-TPMS
02 F250 7.3 PSD CC SB XLT Lariat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:07 am 

rand14

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 16:42:45

My F250 handles the larger fuel nozzles fine, but watch out for the flow rate...sometimes the first notch is still too fast and I have to sit and hold it. I tend to use RV lanes and avoid the big rig lanes when fueling far from home. But when it comes down to it, fuel is fuel and the station will take my money from any lane...

-Scott

2010 Open Range 335BHS
2005 Ford F250SD SB CC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 am 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: 280RLS
Member ID: ORF-0036
Alaskabound

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 18:48:57

We can’t help with the diesel questions, but we do have some thoughts on an auxiliary tank. In 2006, we bought a new Chevy 2500 HD to pull our travel trailer. At that time, with a 6.5 foot bed, the tank that came with the truck was just 26 gallons. Having had a tank this size before, and because we often travel cross-country, we knew this wouldn’t work. Everything I read on auxiliary tanks pointed to Transfer Flow (transferflow.com). They seem to be the Cadillac. Since we only had a 6.5 ft. bed, we opted for a direct replacement tank of 45 gallons, where they removed the 26 gallon tank and put a 45 gallon tank in its place. We considered the auxiliary tank because of the total capacity it could offer, but because of our short bed and a tonneau cover on our truck, this didn’t seem to be our best option. We have been totally pleased with this setup. It has worked flawlessly.

We are considering a diesel tow vehicle purchase in the near future and would consider getting an auxiliary tank if we get an 8 foot bed truck. As I understand it, the auxiliary tank kicks on when the regular tank gets about ½ empty and it replenishes the fuel in the regular tank. Hope this information helps.

(Incidentally, we want to read all the posts on this topic, because we are learning a lot about diesel fueling that we didn’t know.)

2011 280RLS
2006 2500HD Chevy (6L, 4:10)

Willy and Polly
(in a rare quiet moment)

We can’t help with the diesel questions, but we do have some thoughts on an auxiliary tank. In 2006, we bought a new Chevy 2500 HD to pull our travel trailer. At that time, with a 6.5 foot bed, the tank that came with the truck was just 26 gallons. Having had a tank this size before, and because we often travel cross-country, we knew this wouldn’t work. Everything I read on auxiliary tanks pointed to Transfer Flow (transferflow.com). They seem to be the Cadillac. Since we only had a 6.5 ft. bed, we opted for a direct replacement tank of 45 gallons, where they removed the 26 gallon tank and put a 45 gallon tank in its place. We considered the auxiliary tank because of the total capacity it could offer, but because of our short bed and a tonneau cover on our truck, this didn’t seem to be our best option. We have been totally pleased with this setup. It has worked flawlessly.

We are considering a diesel tow vehicle purchase in the near future and would consider getting an auxiliary tank if we get an 8 foot bed truck. As I understand it, the auxiliary tank kicks on when the regular tank gets about ½ empty and it replenishes the fuel in the regular tank. Hope this information helps.

(Incidentally, we want to read all the posts on this topic, because we are learning a lot about diesel fueling that we didn’t know.)

2011 280RLS

Willy and Polly
(in a rare quiet moment)

2011 280RLS

Willy and Polly
(in a rare quiet moment)

2011 280RLS

Willy and Polly
(in a rare quiet moment)

2006 2500 HD Chevy (6L, 4:10)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 am 
Site Admin

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: H397RGR SOLD
Member ID: ORF-0006
Butch

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 19:54:44

I have no preference on a station. The first thing I look at is the price then the clearance for height and maneuverability for the truck and camper. I do all of this while backing traffic up for as long as the DW will allow.

2010 H397RGR Toy Hauler
2011 Chevrolet 3500 CC Long Bed DRW 4x4 Duramax Diesel

MAX & BEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 am 

OR Model: JT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-0047
TTFullTimer

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 20:46:59

When we are travelling long distances I try to find truck stops. First they have diesel, second I don't have to worry about maneuvering. Our rig with the Dodge Megacab pulling it does not turn around in less than two football fields, or so it seems. One tank takes me about 350 miles so usually I can unhook the truck to go get diesel.The big nozzle fast flow of the truck stops I really like. Doesn't take so long to fill. What I don't like is going in and putting down a guess at the price and then having to go back in to get the real cost. I have noticed lately that truck stops have much higher prices than the local stations. Haven't had to fill in a truck stop in the last four months.

Full timer in JT340FLR
2007 Dodge Megacab 2500 Diesel

Packed 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab Diesel

Momma Heaven, Me All Over this Great Country

gkoth@digphoto.net

Forum Host

rgrimm

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 21:34:51

quote:
Originally posted by Butch

...... I do all of this while backing traffic up for as long as the DW will allow.

Good one Butch

TTFulltimer - My brother mentioned having to have to go in at the Truckstops (Truck Lanes) to sort of prepay to get the pumps turned on. I guess they (Truck Stops) have had a lot of Truckers using bad cards.

Alaskabound - Yes I've looked at the Transfer flow AUX tanks, but have read some posts in a one of the diesel/Truck forums about a fellow that had a major rust issue with his tank in less than 2 years - they are Steel Tanks. So if I decide to try and expand my fuel capacity I would probably go the route you did and replace my 36 gallon tank with one of the larger OEM replacement tanks. I have an 8 foot bed and I have seen a 62 or 64 gallon replacement OEM Tank listed for my Truck. I have until next year (when DW retires) before we will be taking much longer trips. Sort of Full timing during the summer months to see our country and returning to our Florida home in the winter months.

Russ and Arlene
(Yulee, FL)
2010 Journeyer JT337RLS
2010 Ford F250 PSD

Red Gate RV Park
Savannah, GA

Edited by - rgrimm on 04/30/2011 21:57:22

OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0011
Living life

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 21:59:22

Rgrimm, Stone mountain was a blast for us last summer. We stayed four days while passing through on our month long trip. They had a great inground pool. The trolley ride to the top of the mountain was great to see all the scenic views. The campsite has alot to offer for everybody,we miss the laser show which was a bummer, heard it was a great show.
As far as fueling I feel the same way as TTFullTimer seems like every pumps credit card machine stops working when I try to use it and most of the time it's a quarter mile walk to prepay and then back again.

. 08 dodge 2500 megacab Reese signature series 18k hitch 2011 open range 399BHS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 am 
Forum Host

rgrimm

Posted - 04/30/2011 : 22:17:18

LivingLife - We are going up to Stone Mountain for the Country Living Fair (http://www.countryliving.com/homes/2010-overview) that is held there in late October. We are looking forward to the trip. It will be our 4th trip for this year and our longest distance wise (about 330 miles from us in FL).

Russ and Arlene
(Yulee, FL)
2010 Journeyer JT337RLS
2010 Ford F250 PSD

Red Gate RV Park
Savannah, GA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Admin

OR Model: RF392BHS
Member ID: ORF-0008
azandy70

Posted - 05/01/2011 : 04:58:37

As far as diesel pumps, I prefer the larger hose. Fills faster. I look for truck stops if possible. Easy in and out. I always give trucks the right of way. They are bigger and on the clock. Flying J's and others do have an RV lane. Need to use those instead of truck lane then. I normally have poor luck in an RV lane. Always seems to be someone wasting time and holding all up.

Most all canopy's at normal stations are taller than 14 feet. Just make sure the diesel pump is on the outside of the row and there is enough room to turn.

Our truck holds 34 gallons of fuel. (I think). Anyway, I too would like to add an aux tank. DW and kids can barely make a fuel stop now without stopping. So I probably won't spend the extra money.

Most major highways will tell you "next fuel 50 miles" or whatever it is. Never had a real problem getting fuel. I start looking around 250 - 300 miles. I can max out at around 350 miles on a good day.

2006 Chev 3500 DRW.
Duramax 4x4
RF392BHS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am 
Forum Host

rgrimm

Posted - 05/01/2011 : 07:01:11

I appreciate everyone’s comments here. As I said, being new at this and never having to think about fueling with just my cars and truck, I now have to look at this differently with a 36 foot trailer hanging on my bumper. It is all about experience, something I am just beginning to develop. Many of you can look at a situation (gas station, campground site) and KNOW if your rigs are capable of maneuvering in the space before even attempting it. While I am capable with doing that in my cars and trucks, it is something only experience gives one with pulling a Trailer or 5th wheel. Until I develop that experience, I develop my ‘comfort level’ from you sharing your thoughts and experience.

Thank you -

Russ and Arlene
(Yulee, FL)
2010 Journeyer JT337RLS
2010 Ford F250 PSD

Red Gate RV Park
Savannah, GA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am 

ETF

Posted - 05/01/2011 : 11:14:49

I know that several years ago someone made an adapter to fit the larger truck pump nozzles and reduced it down till it fitted in the smaller filler openings. I think that one of the disadvantages was that the auto shut didn't function if you used it.

I may have to look in to that again as I think that my truck has the smaller filler opening.