~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Extra fuel tank
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 am 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: H320MPR
Member ID: ORF-2337
Jimc3165 wrote:

I'm looking at the same one the reviews didn't say anything about the function of the tank being deficient just that the carrier beat it up during delivery and that the finish was not very good. Just don't want a leaker. I also am adding a filter system to my truck that has a 2 micron Cat filter so Hopefully I don't have to replace my pump and Injectors like my buddy did to the tune of more than 2 grand. check out this link http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/ They started just making this kit for Dodge trucks and now you can get it for all the big 3.

Jim, thanks for the link to the fuel filter kit. Looks good, and I've been wanting to add one to my truck.

Jack - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
2011 OR 320 MPR
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
1975 Cessna 172M - sold 3/12/14 :-(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:17 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-2242
Krash42 wrote:
Jimc3165 wrote:

I'm looking at the same one the reviews didn't say anything about the function of the tank being deficient just that the carrier beat it up during delivery and that the finish was not very good. Just don't want a leaker. I also am adding a filter system to my truck that has a 2 micron Cat filter so Hopefully I don't have to replace my pump and Injectors like my buddy did to the tune of more than 2 grand. check out this link http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/ They started just making this kit for Dodge trucks and now you can get it for all the big 3.

Jim, thanks for the link to the fuel filter kit. Looks good, and I've been wanting to add one to my truck.

You are welcome. I don't understand why our OEM filter is not a 2 micron but this will take it down to 2 micron and then some. I plan on installing the 2 filter kit.

USN Retired 1971-1996

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:29 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
http://www.diesel-filters.com/660r10-ra ... -assembly/

This is the filter I mounted in line with aux tank fuel feed. But I did not pay that much, shopped around for much lower price. Can get 2, 10, 30 micron filters to suit. Not a lot of flow (GPH), but reality is when using gravity feed, don't expect a lot of flow anyway.

Unit is filter/separator. Means filters and water trap. Don't want water in the fuel from an aux tank. Has clear bowl to do visual check for debris or water. Can manually drain, which I like to do often. Unit is small, with 3/8" NPT ports (2 inlets, 2 outlets) and nice to fit up under the bed below the aux tank. Mount lowest point so water, if any will drain down to filter bowl and can be drained away. Personally don't think need 2 micron filtration here, maybe a 10, to catch larger particles. The truck OEM filters will do better job of filtering fine contamination stuff. Think about it - before any aux tank installed, and drawing fuel from factory installed tank, how different with just the OEM 2 micron filter package. Most likely aux tank will dump fuel into the main tank anyway. Believe a 10+micron filter will flow better than 2, when gravity fed.

If you select hose to install, as surely anyone most likely to do, use "fuel injection hose", as this is rated for diesel fuel. Using any hose will cause fuel seepage over time, and then leakage. Research your hoses, selections. Ask me how I know.

Of course bigger filter packages means they last longer due to bigger surface areas. One has to decide which suit his applications best, in terms of flow, filtration, installation, etc.

Good luck.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:25 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: RF338RLS
Member ID: ORF-3444
2x on the fuel filter as well. I someone else that put that in.

B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch #1314

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:45 pm 

COTHAMM wrote:
http://www.diesel-filters.com/660r10-racor-fuel-filter-water-separator-assembly/

This is the filter I mounted in line with aux tank fuel feed. But I did not pay that much, shopped around for much lower price. Can get 2, 10, 30 micron filters to suit. Not a lot of flow (GPH), but reality is when using gravity feed, don't expect a lot of flow anyway.

Unit is filter/separator. Means filters and water trap. Don't want water in the fuel from an aux tank. Has clear bowl to do visual check for debris or water. Can manually drain, which I like to do often. Unit is small, with 3/8" NPT ports (2 inlets, 2 outlets) and nice to fit up under the bed below the aux tank. Mount lowest point so water, if any will drain down to filter bowl and can be drained away. Personally don't think need 2 micron filtration here, maybe a 10, to catch larger particles. The truck OEM filters will do better job of filtering fine contamination stuff. Think about it - before any aux tank installed, and drawing fuel from factory installed tank, how different with just the OEM 2 micron filter package. Most likely aux tank will dump fuel into the main tank anyway. Believe a 10+micron filter will flow better than 2, when gravity fed.

If you select hose to install, as surely anyone most likely to do, use "fuel injection hose", as this is rated for diesel fuel. Using any hose will cause fuel seepage over time, and then leakage. Research your hoses, selections. Ask me how I know.

Of course bigger filter packages means they last longer due to bigger surface areas. One has to decide which suit his applications best, in terms of flow, filtration, installation, etc.

Good luck.

Mickey the filter I am adding is inline with the stock filter it is in the pressure system for the engine. Cummins recommends at least 4 micron I believe and the stock filter is 7 or 8 micron and only 60-65 percent efficient. The kit I'm ordering bolts under the truck between the frame rails and has a CAT fuel filter and I think a Baldwin water separator it is supposed to be a 45-60 min install and will hopefully protect my injectors and fuel pump which is a 2 or 3 thousand dollar repair. I bought the kit to run the transfer tank into the filler neck so all will be filtered before it get to the engine.

USN Retired 1971-1996

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:14 pm 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0136
Kwarstler wrote:
I just installed a gravity fed RDS tank in my 2014 RAM 3500. Its a 60 gallon tank. So far I love it. Don't need any of the pumps others sell.

2 questions

1 how easy was it to cut into the main fuel line and what kit did you use?

2 how high is the tank and fill? I use a tonneau cover when not towing. on my 14 3500 Ram SB

Thanks
Doc

2018 3X388RKS Traded 2009 OR 337RLS SR#160
PullRite SuperGlide, 46gal Aux fuel tank

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 pm 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0136
BCM wrote:
Awesome call, Jim. Which one are you looking at? I set my sights on this one, but the reviews are split...

http://smile.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ91752 ... Zee+38+gal

Be careful of a steel tank for 2 reasons.
Condensation and rust on the inside that will get into your fuel system.
Aluminum you will get some condensation but no rust.

Doc

2018 3X388RKS Traded 2009 OR 337RLS SR#160
PullRite SuperGlide, 46gal Aux fuel tank

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:12 am 

Doc wrote:
BCM wrote:
Awesome call, Jim. Which one are you looking at? I set my sights on this one, but the reviews are split...

http://smile.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ91752 ... Zee+38+gal

Be careful of a steel tank for 2 reasons.
Condensation and rust on the inside that will get into your fuel system.
Aluminum you will get some condensation but no rust.

Doc

That is the reason I didn't buy the cheapest one, it was steel. I bought the 45gal RDS alum tank from northern tools and the installation kit which plumbs the drain into the main tanks fill line.

USN Retired 1971-1996

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:24 am 

OR Model: H345MPR
Member ID: ORF-1542
FYI : RDS will custom make any size tank if you give them dimensions. I had an L shaped tank made to fit under roll up bed cover for the same price as what Northern Tool & Harbor Frieght will sell you stock size. Cost was $600.00 plus $60.00 for gravity feed kit. Now have 109 Gallon bed tank plus OEM 36 Gallon. Makes for cheap fuel fillups and less hassle fueling on the journey.