~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:41 pm 

OR Year: 2009
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-0136
I purchased a 46 Gal fuel tank from Auxiliary Tank made by Aluminum Tank Industries, Inc.
http://www.atitank.com/
Tank - AUX46T with the T install kit AIK 175D

The tank is 12Wx18Hx57L and will fit in front of the PullRite slider frame and under the bed rails so I hopefully can use my tonneau cover. I did not have time to plumb the tank before we left for the TX Rally so I used a fuel line over the bed rail into the fill tube and a temporary pump hook up.
I finished the plumbing for the Auxiliary fuel tank on Tuesday before we started the trip to the CH Rally.

Here is the procedure I used.
1. The tank came with a T to use on the main 1 ¾ inch fuel tube, however the tube is metal and I did not want to cut into it. The overflow return tube is only ¾ inches and there is a rubber hose connected to it that goes back to the main fuel tank.
2. I found a threaded brass T and added ¾ inch hose barbs on each side and a rollover valve I got from eBay.
3. The hard part was removing the ¾ inch hose and installing the T, you could not see what you were doing, it was above and inside the frame.
4. I then fashioned a temporary mounting device (2x3) for the fuel pump to be mounted to. I plan on installing a better fuel pump and a fuel filter water separator.
5. I then ran the fuel lines and electrical lines.
6. The tank was ordered with a draw tube, it is not gravity fed, and tie down loops. I came out of the draw tube with a 90 degree and then installed a ball valve before attaching the fuel line.
7. I got a 36 inch rubber hall runner at Lowes that fit under and up the back of the tank that prevented the tank from rubbing on the bed liner. The tank is held in place with 2 1000 lb. load straps.
8. The electrical is tied into one of the auxiliary switches in the cab, all I have to do is hit the switch and the transfer of fuel to the main tank starts, I do have to make sure the ball valve is open when starting a trip.

Doc

Attachment:
Tank.jpg

Attachment:
Tank3.jpg

Attachment:
OverflowReturn.jpg

Attachment:
T with Rollover.jpg

Attachment:
T InPlace.jpg

Attachment:
FuelPump.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2018 3X388RKS Traded 2009 OR 337RLS SR#160
PullRite SuperGlide, 46gal Aux fuel tank

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:01 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-3771
I think that will fit below the bed rails and behind the hitch. Can't wait to see that at CHR. The connection looks like what I built for my grill. May have to acquire the parts and come visit Ephrata for installation if you've got the time. Nice job, Doc!

Pullrite Superglide 18K
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Furrion Wireless Observation Camera
TST 510 TPMS
Maxxis M8008s

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:39 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Good job Doc. See you in Shippy.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:57 am 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: RT291RLS
Member ID: ORF-2226
:-P Good job Doc!
BillyBull

Firestone Ride-Rite Air Assist W/onboard compressor
Equal-i-zer WDS

The cure for anything is Salt Water...
Sweat, Tears or the Sea....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:45 am 

BCM wrote:
I think that will fit below the bed rails and behind the hitch. Can't wait to see that at CHR. The connection looks like what I built for my grill. May have to acquire the parts and come visit Ephrata for installation if you've got the time. Nice job, Doc!

I got the parts at PaulB that is a hardware/farm store in Ephrata, if they do not have you do not need it :!:
We can go there after the Shady Maple Breakfast on Friday.
They have a lot of loose items rather than the packaged quantities you get at other stores. All of the parts I used were single loose items so I could get just what I needed and not have leftovers.
They even will make propane supply hose to what ever length you want.

Doc

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 am 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 315BHS
Member ID: ORF-5734
I am contemplating this same upgrade. Father in-law has an accessories business so i can get them at cost. I am looking at the "Handy fuel and tool FT-50". I want to be able to fill the OEM tank inside the cab so i can choose when to fill the auxiliary tank and not be forced to use it as a main means to fill the truck. When I am not towing it will be used as a transfer tank only for the tractors etc.. Instead of going with the gravity flow method of filling OEM tank and installing a solenoid valve, I've thought about using one of the auxiliary inlets on the top of the tank to install an inline fuel pump and tie into my OEM filler tube. I said all of that to say this: It looks as though you are pulling off the top of the tank. Are you having any issues with the pump being strong enough for pick up? Would I use a similar method to tie into filler tube on 2014 Ram 2500? Currently out of country on business so I can't actually look at my truck, sorry. Preparing for our first trip post baby, somewhere in central texas that isnt closed due to flooding.

http://www.handyindustries.com/docs/107 ... -50_OM.pdf

http://www.handyindustries.com/docs/FUE ... AND_30.pdf

50 gal. Handy industries Fuel and Tool aux. tank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:45 pm 

jderrickness wrote:
I am contemplating this same upgrade. Father in-law has an accessories business so i can get them at cost. I am looking at the "Handy fuel and tool FT-50". I want to be able to fill the OEM tank inside the cab so i can choose when to fill the auxiliary tank and not be forced to use it as a main means to fill the truck. When I am not towing it will be used as a transfer tank only for the tractors etc.. Instead of going with the gravity flow method of filling OEM tank and installing a solenoid valve, I've thought about using one of the auxiliary inlets on the top of the tank to install an inline fuel pump and tie into my OEM filler tube. I said all of that to say this: It looks as though you are pulling off the top of the tank. Are you having any issues with the pump being strong enough for pick up? Would I use a similar method to tie into filler tube on 2014 Ram 2500? Currently out of country on business so I can't actually look at my truck, sorry. Preparing for our first trip post baby, somewhere in central texas that isnt closed due to flooding.

http://www.handyindustries.com/docs/107 ... -50_OM.pdf

http://www.handyindustries.com/docs/FUE ... AND_30.pdf

I had a draw tube installed when the tank was being made.
I tied into the 3/4 inch over fill return rather than cut into the main fill tube.
The pump that I am using now will allow the fuel to siphon after I turn off the pump, I had an over fill after I first used the tank.
Will be installing a solenoid to stop the flow as well as a different pump and a fuel filter water separator.

I looked at the Handy tanks but did not get one because they are made of aluminized steel which can still rust.

Doc

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:28 am 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 315BHS
Member ID: ORF-5734
Ok, did not know that. Thanks for the info Doc, between this post and another i think i have it figured out what i need to do.

50 gal. Handy industries Fuel and Tool aux. tank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:32 am 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: H320MPR
Member ID: ORF-2337
Doc, your setup looks great! Sorry I missed the earlier posts and didn't crawl under your truck in Shippy for a closer look.
Good job!

Jack - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
2011 OR 320 MPR
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
1975 Cessna 172M - sold 3/12/14 :-(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 am 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Here is the diesel fuel filter I used, but I got the 30 micron filter pack, the taller one which offers slight bit more flow. Has more surface area, last longer than the short height filter shown here. If you decide on pump or solenoid valve, put this filter upstream of these devices to keep them clean, free of trash. Housing has 2 inlets and 2 outlets. Try to plumb one outlet with bypass valve, tee in line to tank, so if pump or SOV fails, can open the bypass valve to get fuel flow.

Unlike those bigger filter units, this one small, easy to install under the fender, so to speak.

Beware, partial filled Aux tanks outside will eventually accumulate moisture or water on inside. So need a separator to handle water.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N0 ... PH2WERSXTV

And again, if use fuel hose, be sure to use "fuel injection" hose, which is better with diesel fuel. Can Google fuel injection hose for the class of hose needed.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV