~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: RDS tank install
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: RF392BHS
Member ID: ORF-0008
Finally installed a rds tank toolbox combo. 60 gallon. Same zero maintenance and zero bother as my last ford. Gravity fill turned on always. Doesn't overfill and keeps truck tank full just like the last ford. No overfill and no leaks. Still pain in the butt to install the fill tube but got it done.
Only home for a short bit and couldn't get spray in liner done. So will have to take it apart at a later date.

This new truck came with fifth wheel prep and I did the companion made for it. Towed about 2500 miles so far and haven't been close to hitting yet. No slider. Sure is nice still having some bed room now with this hitch. B +W in Ram was a slider and took up most the box.

Hoping all works well

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: RDS tank install
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:33 pm 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 315BHS
Member ID: ORF-5734
You say "Gravity fill turned on always." Please excuse my ignorance, but can you turn it off? Sorry I cannot look at your picture due to the internet Nazi's and their filters here at work. I am looking at getting the Handy ST-50 fuel & tool. I want to be able to turn the gravity flow on with a solenoid or turn a transfer pump on from inside the cab. When not towing i want to use the tank as a transfer tank for the tractor and all. So essentially i want to be able to have 1/4 tank in OEM tank and a full transfer tank i guess is what im trying to say.

50 gal. Handy industries Fuel and Tool aux. tank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

jderrickness wrote:
You say "Gravity fill turned on always." Please excuse my ignorance, but can you turn it off? Sorry I cannot look at your picture due to the internet Nazi's and their filters here at work. I am looking at getting the Handy ST-50 fuel & tool. I want to be able to turn the gravity flow on with a solenoid or turn a transfer pump on from inside the cab. When not towing i want to use the tank as a transfer tank for the tractor and all. So essentially i want to be able to have 1/4 tank in OEM tank and a full transfer tank i guess is what im trying to say.

Yes you can turn it off. Has a shut off valve and a 2" extra pipe hole to put an external pump to make it a transfer also. It has a basic little ball valve to turn the flow off and on. If you leave it on always it just keeps the truck tank full. If not turn it off and no flow. Then pump it out with a hand pump or 12 volt pump. Or do both.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:04 pm 

Okay, so im assuming that the manual shut off valve is pretty standard then, might be all i need. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:17 pm 

Can see the pictures now looks good! Let us know how you like that Companion hitch. I considered one with my prep package but ultimately went with the kingpin conversion for my light since i pull a gooseneck pretty regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

jderrickness wrote:
Can see the pictures now looks good! Let us know how you like that Companion hitch. I considered one with my prep package but ultimately went with the kingpin conversion for my light since i pull a gooseneck pretty regularly.

I have had two other companions now. Like them a lot. Quiet and smooth.
I was going to do the Anderson hitch on this one but just didn't have time to get it set up. Great reviews though on this site for the Anderson. I left to go out of town two days after I picked this up. Was a challenge getting the truck set as it was. Had 2500 miles on it before it was a week old. Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:59 pm 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 391RES
Member ID: ORF-2242
Looking good Andy, I don't get very good flow on mine with gravity fill so when I saw Doc's install and the LP pump he installed I bought one to try on mine.

USN Retired 1971-1996

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:41 pm 

OR Model: 427BHS
Member ID: ORF-4576
I have a gravity fed RDS 60 gallon tank and its the best mod I've made!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:19 am 

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1538
I had a pump on mine but had problems and took it off and now gravity feed. However if I do not turn it off it will over fill andy ideas as to why? Thanks Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Greg wrote:
I had a pump on mine but had problems and took it off and now gravity feed. However if I do not turn it off it will over fill andy ideas as to why? Thanks Greg

Greg my guess a problem with the check valve. If you use the RDS brand vehicle adaptor, the T in the line has a ball check valve in it. When full the ball pushes up and closes the valve. Could be faulty. My last one I used it like that for 80,000 miles and never failed. Could just be defective. You should be able to hear it rattle inside if you have it apart.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:34 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
azandy wrote:
Greg wrote:

Greg my guess a problem with the check valve. If you use the RDS brand vehicle adaptor, the T in the line has a ball check valve in it. When full the ball pushes up and closes the valve. Could be faulty. My last one I used it like that for 80,000 miles and never failed. Could just be defective. You should be able to hear it rattle inside if you have it apart.

And it needs to be straight up to work. Plastic valve floats up, stop gravity flow.

I had a solenoid valve on mine once, but it leaked. But no filter at the time. So took it off and put a pump on with filter, but the pump designed allows gravity flow thru. Not what I was aiming for. I did not want gravity flow 100% of time, want some control of when to transfer. After I found debris in SOV, cleaned it and it works, put it back in with filter this time. Don't expect SOV to get contaminated.

So thought of putting both SOV and Pump on with fuel filter/sep but got tired of reworking brackets, supports, configurations, and opt to just go with the fuel filter/sep and SOV instead, gravity feed route. Works so far.

I also put a bypass valve circuit just in case the SOV craps out. I can open the valve, gravity feed if SOV fails to open. Insurance.

I see that Mr. Gasket has a new diesel fuel pump, 35 gph. The new Mr. Gasket fuel pump maybe worth investigating, in lieu of the pump I now have?

My filter is a Parker/Racor diesel filter 20 GPH affair, small frame size, 30 microns filter, and water separator with drain. I chose the 30 microns pray for better gravity flow, yet capture the larger particle, trash that may be encountered in the Aux tank.

The pump I have is 110 gph, a good pump but large and tough to couple up to both filter, SOV for decent installation. I am guilty of trying for easy coupling of all this stuff, neat and easily serviceable. Got tired of being on back, trying different configurations of installation, and diesel fuel dripping all over me :-x . So it's the filter and SOV for now :-) .

And as a reminder, make sure to use right hose for diesel fuel. One should use "fuel injector" rated hose or hose ideal for diesel fuel. Putting a plain jane fuel hose will spell trouble later. The diesel will attack some hoses, causing deterioration, and seepage will happen. Ask me how I know.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

And it needs to be straight up to work. Plastic valve floats up, stop gravity flow.

Very good point.
There has been many modification to this set up. Most I'm sure work fine. There is several threads here with different set ups. You can choose the best for you. Gravity just seem to be the easiest for me.
I agree you will no doubt get more dirt in your fuel. Larger fill tube and the fact that the tank runs dry every time.
In my last truck I did not have filter issues but did change them both every 25000 miles or so. After our 5000 mile trip through Alberta I changed them when we got home. Had to get fuel a couple times where it might not have been too great.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:04 am 

OR Year: 2010
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1538
Thanks I will check into the check valve. Greg