~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: I ordered this tank
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:29 am 

OR Year: 2015
OR Model: 337RLS
Member ID: ORF-5907
Thanks. I checked this morning and it did leak some through, apparently. The gauge went up slightly, but I will optimistically wait and see if it's because I parked on a slight incline last night.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box
B&W Patriot 5th wheel hitch
Bridgestone Duravis R250 tires

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 349rls
Member ID: ORF-12510
Sean & Christine,

My husband's tow vehicle is a Ford F350 long bed diesel; which I think is what you have (?) We were able to locate a 55 gallon replacement tank that sits right where the factory tank is so no auxilliary equipment needed and no bed-space lost. Just let us know if you wanted more details and this was some time back and my husband will have to go into his archives to locate the specifics to provide regarding it. (If yours is a regular gas F350 truck, the replacement tank is not limited to diesel.)

Warmest Regards,
Dawn & Tim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
handirifle wrote:
Well I have been going back and forth with this setup. I thought the solenoid was holding it, but then the main tank would fill overnight from aux tank.
Today I finally made the effort and took the solenoid apart, and lo, I found a 3/4 circle od brass, that looked like it had been shaved off something, like machining. Not sure I did any thing to cause it, but it was stuck right on the valve seat. I removed it and put the solenoid back together.

A note on the leaking cap issue, I bought some cork gasket material at Ace Hardware, and cut a circle of it and added that to the cap. Now it's double layer, and the baffle I added. Does not leak anymore and still vents well.

I will check tomorrow and see if the fuel leaked past my solenoid again. I am thinking it won't, hoping so any way. If it does, I will have to add a small fuel pump I suppose.

You need fuel filter, water separator.
You need a Parker/Racor 120A diesel filter. I have one, pleased with it, small unit, easy install. I get the tall filter cartridge, bigger micron filtration, one that offers more flow for gravity feed.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 pm 

I will most likely be adding a pump to this setup, and a filter as well. When I do add a pump, I will remove the solenoid, most likely and use the wiring for the pump, and just "T" into the existing supply line. I am considering this Carter pump, or one similar. http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4070/ ... gK08fD_BwE

I like the flow rate. Not too fast or too slow. Some of the others flow something like 15 GPH which is slower than I want for a pump. This one will allow me to see it go up as I am towing, which gravity did not. I was using it about as fast as it went in.

Will look into the Parker unit, so thanks for the link. Would it work ok on the suction side of a pump?

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:35 pm 

tdf92 wrote:
Sean & Christine,

My husband's tow vehicle is a Ford F350 long bed diesel; which I think is what you have (?) We were able to locate a 55 gallon replacement tank that sits right where the factory tank is so no auxilliary equipment needed and no bed-space lost. Just let us know if you wanted more details and this was some time back and my husband will have to go into his archives to locate the specifics to provide regarding it. (If yours is a regular gas F350 truck, the replacement tank is not limited to diesel.)

Warmest Regards,
Dawn & Tim

I went the route I did because of cost. There is a 52 gallon tank that replaces the factory, for my truck, but at a cost between $1200-1500 it was way more than I cared to spend. There are plusses and minuses to each setup for sure. There are at least 2 companies that make them for the F350, but again the cost factor comes into play.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:19 pm 

OR Model: RF316RLS
Member ID: ORF-6313
Mickey or Handi,

Pardon my dumb question. What's the purpose of adding a filter or water separator between the AUX and OEM tanks?
If the fuel being put in either tank comes from the same source, why not just let the OEM separator and filter do the work?
Is the worry about additional condensation or contamination associated with the addition of the new tank?

John

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:57 pm 

John, yes, condensation a concern in the aux tank. It’s naked, out in the open.

Since I added the RDS 45 gal aux, and do frequent drain of this Racor filter, and the trucks OEM filter, have never witness water. I had an airplane and those fuel tanks do get internal condensation, and water. Preflight requires draining, collection to inspect. If water, need to keep draining till fuel clear.

Did one time get contamination of particles in the Racor filter. I attributed that to improper fuel hose I used in beginning. Hose actually started to weep, leak. Replaced it with fuel injection hose and no more degeneration or weeps/leak. No more hose ligimers.

At least the junk did not enter the trucks filter, nor fuel system. Those CP3/CP4 injection pumps don’t like water, will rust up pronto. And if your truck under warranty, try find dealer who will replace it free.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm 

Rifle, a filter on suction side recommended. Some put filter on discharge side too. That to filter any pump parts that might decide to bite the dust.

I too used a rotary pump in place for SOV. If you open that web site you posted, look at lower left insert, I brought similar pump to that one. Careful for what you wish for - fuel flowed right thru the pump. Mine did. Darn. It was like no pump there, straight flow into OEM tank. I put a ball valve in front of the pump. That sucked cause had to stop, open valve, turn pump on,......

So took pump out, put SOV back. All my stuff under the truck bed, say by the fender.

I think if one installs a check valve on suction side, a CV with low Spring cracking pressure, say 1/2-1 psi, that might stop the free flow from aux tank. Due to level head height in tank adds pressure when filled. Question is what’s that head height pressure. When pump turn on, will apply > 1 psi suction pressure, fuel will flow. When pump off, the CV poppet will close stop free flow. Someone would have to find a CV where springs of differvratings could be easily replaced, do trial to see what works best.

Alternatively one could mount pump above the tank, let it suck fuel out. This way no free flowing.

Your tank not tall, lil tank, so small head height pressure in the line. Mine is high as bed top shoulders. High.

Know you to be knowledgeable guy, so what you think?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:37 pm 

I had thought of that issue and undecided whether to mount it above tank or leave the SOV in front of pump. The problem with leaving it in, is thats a lot of equipment in a limited area.

Jfmjr
I already got crap in my system that has caused issues, so it is to protect the pump in my case.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 am 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: 417RSS
Member ID: ORF-5220
tdf92 wrote:
Sean & Christine,

Warmest Regards,
Dawn & Tim

Thanks for the heads up, it would be very nice to not have to give up any more bed space. Wish they weren't so $teep but it sure is a clean alternative.

2008 F350 Crew Cab Dually
Reese 20K
Sailun S637's
EEZ TPMS all the way around

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:30 am 

Member ID: ORF-3628
COTHAMM wrote:
Rifle, a filter on suction side recommended. Some put filter on discharge side too. That to filter any pump parts that might decide to bite the dust.

I too used a rotary pump in place for SOV. If you open that web site you posted, look at lower left insert, I brought similar pump to that one. Careful for what you wish for - fuel flowed right thru the pump. Mine did. Darn. It was like no pump there, straight flow into OEM tank. I put a ball valve in front of the pump. That sucked cause had to stop, open valve, turn pump on,......

So took pump out, put SOV back. All my stuff under the truck bed, say by the fender.

I think if one installs a check valve on suction side, a CV with low Spring cracking pressure, say 1/2-1 psi, that might stop the free flow from aux tank. Due to level head height in tank adds pressure when filled. Question is what’s that head height pressure. When pump turn on, will apply > 1 psi suction pressure, fuel will flow. When pump off, the CV poppet will close stop free flow. Someone would have to find a CV where springs of differvratings could be easily replaced, do trial to see what works best.

Alternatively one could mount pump above the tank, let it suck fuel out. This way no free flowing.

Your tank not tall, lil tank, so small head height pressure in the line. Mine is high as bed top shoulders. High.

Know you to be knowledgeable guy, so what you think?

Put a check valve on the outlet. The pump can open it with pressure easier than with suction.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 am 

I have looked at a lot of check valves online and none tell you how much pressure it takes to open them. Still have not ruled out having the SOV in there also.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:13 pm 

Member ID: ORF-6313
Mickey and Handi: Thanks for the answers, makes sense.

John

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:43 pm 

jfmjr
Welcome

ChristineandSean
I would had loved to have had these guys http://www.aerotanks.com/vehicles/chevy.html install a tank for me (52 gal) but still over $1200. Way out of my affordability range. Very hard for me to justify that much money. It is a LOT more convenient way to do it, for sure.

Glad you have yours, enjoy it.

One thing a lot of folks (especially like me with a 2500) do not consider, is a 50+ gallon tank on one side adds a LOT of weight to one set of springs, the drivers side, whereas an in-bed tank centers the weight. When I got my truck (used) the drivers side rear leaf is much more compressed than the pass side, so I need to replace it. I am in the process of adding the last 2 of my set of 4, 6v batteries for my inverter install. After that, those replacement springs are on my to-do list. Going with springs for a 1 ton instead of stock, and will remove the air bags.

Reese Sidewinder Pin Box

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:54 pm 

Member ID: ORF-3628
Note that adding 50 gallons of diesel fuel adds about 350 pounds of cargo to the truck.