~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:37 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
Made a modification to the fuel transfer system I dreamed up, not once, but twice.

While on trip to Texas Rally, seen a few drops of fuel on the pavement. What the heck is this? Well, a leak for sure. But where. Without getting my back dirty, I thought maybe the pump was leaking. But seems leaking from a adapter hose from filter to pump, short 3" hose, clamped. At least the hose was wet.

My system layout then was a ball valve, fuel filter/separator, and electric fuel pump, in that order of flow. The disappointment, electric pump allows gravity feed when the ball valve is opened. Nothing wrong with it, but I like to control levels from the inside of the truck cab. To get either pumped or gravity flow, had to stop and open or close that ball valve. But I found myself not using the electric pump as often, just open the valve and let it flow via gravity. The beauty of the pump is if one finds himself at 1/4 tank, can switch on pump and fill the main tank quicker.

On previous system, had a ball valve and solenoid valve - no filter/separator. So when the filter and electric pump arrived, removed the solenoid valve, cause it was leaking. I thought it had a busted diaphragm, and thus leaks. Well it turned out it was debris that prevented it from closing. I did not have a filter before, so surprise here. Never put that SOV back.....

Anyway, I removed the SOV and put in the filter and electric pump. But disappointed the flow thru design of the pump. Means unable to control levels from cab. The pump pumps swell, but I always worried of failure, or worst, metal particles if it fails, and no downstream filter to capture that.

So this morning, change. Got under the Super Duty and removed that electric pump. And the hose I thought was leaking. But it turned out, so it seems, the hose clamp not tight enough, maybe hose aged. I did some research on hoses, and learned not all fuel hoses created equally. Wrong grade rubber hose, expect fuel seepages. Hose needed is "fuel injection hose", or SAE 30R9 marked hoses. That supposing good for diesel and/or biodiesel. The fuel hoses at ACE hardware is good for your lawnmowers. :shock:

Now I have ball valve, filter/separator and solenoid valve in order of the flow direction. And some new hoses. Just in case, a bypass ball valve if that SOV fails, not open. The SOV is normally closed type, requires power to open. So if the thing cr*ps out, can block off, bypass and continue on merry down the road.

I was able to attach the SOV direct to the filter outlet port using Swagelok tube fittings, from a batch of oil field fittings and tubing I have stashed away. That short hose is gone, it all metal hook up between the two. And that lil leak is gone. EPA will be proud of me. ;-)

In 1 week we will be heading N to SD. New tires on truck and 297 Light. And hopefully 500 mile range of fuel.

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:07 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: H320MPR
Member ID: ORF-2337
Your repairs and improvements sound good! I haven't modified mine yet. Was happy enough with the gravity feed and SOV setup we used on the trip to/from the Texas rally. The flow keep up with the usage, so after filling up both tanks, I'd burn down the main tank to just under 3/4, then turn on the SOV and just keep a casual eye on the fuel gauge. Once the fuel gauge starts to move lower, I'd know that the aux tank is down at the last 1/4 tank. Usually that would occur towards the end of that days travel, and we could plan our refueling stop either before stopping for the night, or within the next few hundred miles the next day.
Still see the benefit of adding a transfer pump, to speed thinks up, but will have to wait until after we move. Nuf work trying to clean out 16 years of living in our current house. :shock:

Jack - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
2011 OR 320 MPR
2012 Ram 3500 DRW
1975 Cessna 172M - sold 3/12/14 :-(

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:26 pm 

Same for me Ron. Like flying a plane - fuel management - we both know it.

I may one day put that electric fuel pump back in the system. However, it is getting awful crowded under that fender - valving, filter, SOV + brackets to hold all this stuff together.

I do wish for an in-tank fuel pump and filter, like the modern today vehicles. Keeps things cleaner that way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:08 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 349RLS
Member ID: ORF-0895
Mickey how about a Goldenrod filter/water separator, it is a 10 or 17 micron filter, for an inline aux tank filter? http://www.diesel-fuels.com/fuel-maintenance/fuel-tank-filter.php

MOR/ryde independent suspension with disk brakes
Andersen Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:18 pm 

Davis, I have a RACOR filter/water separator. Clear bowl at bottom of spin on filter to see if any contamination. Has manual drain, and a port to put a water detector sensor to alarm. Not a big filter but for gravity feed, does the job. I chose to go, I think, with a 15 micron element to trap the bigger stuff. The truck filters can catch the fine stuff.

One like this - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rac ... 3047016461

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:28 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: 349RLS
Member ID: ORF-0895
Yes but the RACOR is over $100 and the Goldenrod is under $40 so just wonder if it will do the same job.

MOR/ryde independent suspension with disk brakes
Andersen Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm 

Umm, I brought mine for $56. The goldenrod filters have 3/4"NPT ports and for gravity flow the hose sizes are 5/16-3/8" ID. It's a big filter for intended purposes of gravity feed. Too big. Anyway if anyone can mount it under a truck, bigger is better for longer times before filter change.