~~~ Our Members' Open Range Coaches ~~~
Click HERE for the Home Page Scrolling Photos
Open Range RV Owners Forum

~ Upcoming Open Range RV Owners Forum Rallies ~

->> 2018 Texas Rally - May 6-11 - Kerrville, TX ~~ 2018 Coming Home Rally - June 4-10 - Goshen, IN ~~ 2018 Northeast Wine Campout - Sept 19-23 - Bath, NY
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: 280RLS
Member ID: ORF-0604
When I first saw the photo I thought it was a joke....one really bad idea....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 pm 

OR Year: 2014
OR Model: RF337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1930
You are not reading my post correct. I said I only had 8 gallons of gas. Now how much do you carry when you go to the gas station and carry gas back home for your mower or don't you mow your grass? I didn't drive cross country, at least the last time I drove 160 miles it didn't seem like it.

2003 2500HD ECSB 6.0 liter gas w/ 4:10 rear
Reese R-16 w/Slider Hitch
2010 E-Z Go golf cart
2008 Toyota Prius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:27 am 

OR Year: 2012
OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0621
Obviously 8 gallons isn't as bad. But there is still a risk. You keep using the mower example/comparison. In order to get gas for the mower one has no choice but to use a portable can to go local and get gas.
When towing an RV using portable cans is not required or necessary. There are options for additional gas that don't involve portable cans.
If I were in your scenario I would bite the bullet and get a proper tank or just stop to refuel. Portable cans would not be a solution for me due the risk factor. Too many what ifs involved in towing a trailer already. Adding loose gas cans into the mix is a recipe for total disaster.
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a small gas explosion or fire. It is a no brainer for me. I don't want to do anything where explosion is the potential result.

RV760,PIsurge,GSR Steps,Titan Disc,Sailun
14'Porta Bote w/8.0hp,Splendide,RVLock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 am 

OR Model: JT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-1880
While it may seem like you are getting pig piled I think the points being made are valid. I understand exactly what you are saying about the inadequate fuel tank size on that truck, its an engineering fail to put a tiny tank on a truck that is marketed to tow. I feel your pain, I dropped almost $1200 on my titan tank, I dont know of a gasoline equivalent, let alone what it would cost.
I have seen people standing in the middle of a puddle of diesel fuel smoking cigarettes and have also seen people burned badly from a 1/2 cup of gasoline. While I dont dwell on it, I have seen some ugly things happen and certainly would never want anyone I know to suffer in a similar way.

2005 2500 HD Silverado LLY Duramax (with a few tweaks)

Scott and Patti with Penny the Boxer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:34 am 

OR Model: RF337RLS
Member ID: ORF-1930
I agree with most of what you guys are saying. First: the cans are strapped down and don't move. I just want enough gas to get to a station that I can pull into to get gas. Too many stations have their pumps lined up like Speedway. I just don't think even one of you could pull a 33 foot trailer into a Speedway and get your fuel and get out without a lot of problems. Last year I pulled into a "truck stop" and couldn't even use any of their pumps. That bothered me thinking that I might run out of gas and I didn't want that to happen.

Yes I know what can happen with a gas fire. A friend of my son died when he was burned at the age of 12. He threw some gas onto a fire and it came back at him and he was burned.

Again, I have seem more "bad" wrecks in the city limits than on the highway. I like to think I am a very careful driver when pulling the trailer. I drive at a "fast" 55 to 60 mph. I think the people that pull at 70 and 80 mph are asking for trouble.

2003 2500HD ECSB 6.0 liter gas w/ 4:10 rear
Reese R-16 w/Slider Hitch
2010 E-Z Go golf cart
2008 Toyota Prius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm 

OR Year: 2013
OR Model: LF297RLS
Member ID: ORF-1481
Last summer I used a similar setup to carry fuel for my F150 and 297. I did not think I had enough room in the bed for an aux. tank. There is no gas cap for the F150 tank, just a trap door in the inlet. To add fuel from a can you insert a small funnel. This really slows the fueling process. Since I am old, it is also difficult to hold a full 5 gallon can of fuel to pour it in the tank. I balanced the can on the top of a small ladder while my wife held the funnel in place. Only did this once.

Using portable gas cans--not safe, not convenient, bad idea.

Returned home, traded in my F150 on a F250 diesel, added a 45 gal. aux. tank for about $500. Will never tow again with a gas engine truck.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 pm 

OR Model: JT340FLR
Member ID: ORF-1880
tparr wrote:
I agree with most of what you guys are saying. First: the cans are strapped down and don't move. I just want enough gas to get to a station that I can pull into to get gas. Too many stations have their pumps lined up like Speedway. I just don't think even one of you could pull a 33 foot trailer into a Speedway and get your fuel and get out without a lot of problems. Last year I pulled into a "truck stop" and couldn't even use any of their pumps. That bothered me thinking that I might run out of gas and I didn't want that to happen.

Yes I know what can happen with a gas fire. A friend of my son died when he was burned at the age of 12. He threw some gas onto a fire and it came back at him and he was burned.

Again, I have seem more "bad" wrecks in the city limits than on the highway. I like to think I am a very careful driver when pulling the trailer. I drive at a "fast" 55 to 60 mph. I think the people that pull at 70 and 80 mph are asking for trouble.

Flying J will always have gasoline at the RV pumps, I try to stop there, even if its not my trucks favorite fuel, just because of the convenience of all they have.

2005 2500 HD Silverado LLY Duramax (with a few tweaks)

Scott and Patti with Penny the Boxer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 pm 

OR Year: 2017
OR Model: LF318
Member ID: ORF-0756
cgoodnight wrote:
Last summer I used a similar setup to carry fuel for my F150 and 297. I did not think I had enough room in the bed for an aux. tank. There is no gas cap for the F150 tank, just a trap door in the inlet. To add fuel from a can you insert a small funnel. This really slows the fueling process. Since I am old, it is also difficult to hold a full 5 gallon can of fuel to pour it in the tank. I balanced the can on the top of a small ladder while my wife held the funnel in place. Only did this once.

Using portable gas cans--not safe, not convenient, bad idea.

Returned home, traded in my F150 on a F250 diesel, added a 45 gal. aux. tank for about $500. Will never tow again with a gas engine truck.

Robert

Robert, saw in another posting you sold the 297, have another RV. Man has to do what is best for his case. Good to see you frequent this OR Forum, regardless. And hope your new RV serves you well.
Yes, to carry gasoline fuel in a container in back of a truck bed is a risky proposition. IF an accident and fire, consider insurance impact too.
Safe travels. :-)

2017 LF318 Light, w/modifications, TST 510 TPMS
2011 F-250 Diesel, 45 gal Aux Fuel Tank w/transfer SOV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:56 am 

OR Model: LF 297 RLS
Member ID: ORF-4699
I have an 01 GMC, GASSER, considering an aux gas tank. Found out the alum tanks for diesel will NOT be shipped to calif. (Oh to live in calif) I can buy an18 gal gas tank but wondering how to plumb it in. Federal law says no gas by gravity flow. Diesel filler "necks" are larger then gas so that leaves out some of those options. Any ideas?

2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.1, 4:11 gears, real gas guzzler BUT it gets us there!
I'm so old I fart dust!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:20 am 

burgie wrote:
I have an 01 GMC, GASSER, considering an aux gas tank. Found out the alum tanks for diesel will NOT be shipped to calif. (Oh to live in calif) I can buy an18 gal gas tank but wondering how to plumb it in. Federal law says no gas by gravity flow. Diesel filler "necks" are larger then gas so that leaves out some of those options. Any ideas?

Sorry, but - Diesel?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:52 am 

OR Model: RF338RLS
Member ID: ORF-3444
Remember, the originator of this thread, said, in not so many words: "cheap Alternative." He did quote the $850 figure. I think the reason why some many have commented is because, we all want to be safe!! We all want the others on the road to be safe. As safe as I try to be, I don't want it to be me, but it might be the other guy that is going to ruin my day.

My option was not cheap. Two years ago, I paid more that the $850 figure. I purchased the Transfer Flow 45 gal. replacement tank for my standard 26 gal tank in 2007 Silverado Gasser. You may want to check it out. It is quiet heavy; I pre-arranged the install with a local accessory shop and had it shipped there. Upon delivery, Installed that afternoon. I thought this was the best option at the time. I am now ready to purchase a 2015 GMC diesel. Then I will look at replacing that Std tank, or getting as auxiliary tank or both.

B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch #1314

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:20 am 

Just ran across this information (aux fuel tank requirements) for anyone interested.
https://www.transferflow.com/regulations

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 pm 

Way I see it, smacks of Transfer Flow stuff.
Visiting other mfr of aux tank web sites revealed different set of rules.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:34 pm 

OR Year: 2011
OR Model: 345RLS
Member ID: ORF-4752
I was rear ended in Texas last February with two 5 gallon plastic containers full of gas in the bed of the truck. I was hit by a construction truck on I 37 just North of San Antonio. I was pushed off the road and down an down a steep bank . The trailer broke loose and both the RV and truck rolled. The two gas cans were still in the bed of the truck when they turned it back over. No gas had leaked out. If the containers are properly secured I think it is safe to carry them this way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:27 pm 

OR Model: 399BHS
Member ID: ORF-0621
wsill wrote:
I was rear ended in Texas last February with two 5 gallon plastic containers full of gas in the bed of the truck. I was hit by a construction truck on I 37 just North of San Antonio. I was pushed off the road and down an down a steep bank . The trailer broke loose and both the RV and truck rolled. The two gas cans were still in the bed of the truck when they turned it back over. No gas had leaked out. If the containers are properly secured I think it is safe to carry them this way.

Based on your description. I'd say you were more lucky than safe.
Either way it's is an example of why I would never carry gas in that manner.

RV760,PIsurge,GSR Steps,Titan Disc,Sailun
14'Porta Bote w/8.0hp,Splendide,RVLock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:52 pm 

OR Model: LF 297 RLS
Member ID: ORF-4699
COTHAMM wrote:
Way I see it, smacks of Transfer Flow stuff.
Visiting other mfr of aux tank web sites revealed different set of rules.

I called a place out of state, they wouldn't even send it to Calif? Some of us can't afford or want diesel buy gas.

2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.1, 4:11 gears, real gas guzzler BUT it gets us there!
I'm so old I fart dust!